Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
ultankc
ultankc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
My Kindle 4 is Frozen in System Diags

Hey there,

I just recently used system diagnostics to install custom screensavers but I wasn't satisfied with the results so I attempted to undo the hack. Upon using system diagnostics again my screen froze on the main menu. I'm unable to turn off the kindle or force reset the kindle. It's merely stuck on the menu. It's not even recognized by any computers when plugged in via USB. I only have access to a mac at the moment so any help needs to be for the mac unless it has to be for windows. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff so any simplified help is appreciated.
ultankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultankc View Post
Hey there,

I just recently used system diagnostics to install custom screensavers but I wasn't satisfied with the results so I attempted to undo the hack. Upon using system diagnostics again my screen froze on the main menu. I'm unable to turn off the kindle or force reset the kindle. It's merely stuck on the menu. It's not even recognized by any computers when plugged in via USB. I only have access to a mac at the moment so any help needs to be for the mac unless it has to be for windows. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff so any simplified help is appreciated.
What version of firmware is your kindle using? Is it SO (Special Offers)?

Did you accidentally select "Install Fastboot Bundle" in the exit menu? If so, it is stuck in fastboot mode. Try using MfgTool in the dev corner "select boot" thread, to see if you can force it to boot to main. If so, then you need to change your bootmode idme var to "main" to get back to normal. There are a number of ways to do that. Also, you cannot exit diags mode the first time, until you create a missing folder and file, which it will do for you if you run the first diag on the main diags screen. You can get to diags again with MfgTool too. Download it in the first post of the "Select Boot" thread.

A lot of people have problems with custom screensavers, which depend on your kindle firmware version. 5.1.0 cause problems, then 5.1.1 caused even more problems. You need a hack version that works with your firmware version. Also, some hacks do not work on SO kindles.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-02-2012 at 02:34 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
ultankc

I was able to run the select boot tools on a friends laptop and I was able to boot main but now it has a battery icon and connect to power symbol. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? Does it need to be fully charged now or will it turn on soon?

Forgot to mention also that my kindle is on 4.1.0. The latest update.

Last edited by ultankc; 07-02-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was able to run the select boot tools on a friends laptop and I was able to boot main but now it has a battery icon and connect to power symbol. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? Does it need to be fully charged now or will it turn on soon?

Forgot to mention also that my kindle is on 4.1.0. The latest update.
Kindles do not charge properly when bricked. You need to plug it into a wall charger (any USB charger will do, even one from a cellphone) for a few hours. Then use MfgTool to put it in fastboot mode (where it charges good) and charge it a few more hours. Then try again...
Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
ultankc

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Kindles do not charge properly when bricked. You need to plug it into a wall charger (any USB charger will do, even one from a cellphone) for a few hours. Then use MfgTool to put it in fastboot mode (where it charges good) and charge it a few more hours. Then try again...
I finally got my Kindle working again thanks to your help. I plugged it in for a few hours with a mains adapter and then when nothing happened I used mfgtool to boot into diagnostics again which allowed me to disable diagnostics and reboot back into the main menu. You sir have been a great help. You're awesome!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
I finally got my Kindle working again thanks to your help. I plugged it in for a few hours with a mains adapter and then when nothing happened I used mfgtool to boot into diagnostics again which allowed me to disable diagnostics and reboot back into the main menu. You sir have been a great help. You're awesome!
I added you to "the list".
Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
AlDOG
AlDOG began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi , Im having the same problem, stuck on diagnostic page but i cant download any of your links as Im a mac user….help??
AlDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@AIDOG: Make sure it's actually frozen, and you're not just confused by the crappy diags UI.

If it really is, look at the Kubrick sticky in the forum .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, kindle