Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
paco_lch
paco_lch began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
Welcome to our forum, Markereader!

Your first post is a link to a firmware. Maybe you could explain, what kind of firmware it is (version, official, modfication,...) and where it came from. On sugarsync it says, this file is from "han@onyx-international.com". Is that you, are you an employee at Onyx Intl.? Or has an Onyx employee sent this link to you?

Please don't feel offended by my questions. You will understand, that we have to be sceptical about new firmware - it might even brick our devices and void warranty if we are not careful
Fair point, tuxor.
But I liked the idea of installing the firmware two times in a row as a potential solution. Tried this with v1.6 - no luck.
paco_lch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Markereader
Markereader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
Is this a special anti-freeze firmware?
Yes, this firmware is to solve the boot up problem.
Markereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #18
Markereader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
Welcome to our forum, Markereader!

Your first post is a link to a firmware. Maybe you could explain, what kind of firmware it is (version, official, modfication,...) and where it came from. On sugarsync it says, this file is from "han@onyx-international.com". Is that you, are you an employee at Onyx Intl.? Or has an Onyx employee sent this link to you?

Please don't feel offended by my questions. You will understand, that we have to be sceptical about new firmware - it might even brick our devices and void warranty if we are not careful
Hi, Tuxor, thank you for your welcome. Sorry, i should have told who i am before i posted this link. I registered yesterday. And I am working for Onyx. But i am not Han. He is my colleague. Dont worry about the firmware. It is the firmware that we worked out purposely to solve the boot up problem. Please do as i said. The problem should be solved. The problem should happen to the early batch only. My colleague tested this firmware before giving me. If it does not work for your unit, you can let me know more.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
Markereader

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_lch View Post
Fair point, tuxor.
But I liked the idea of installing the firmware two times in a row as a potential solution. Tried this with v1.6 - no luck.
Paco_lch, did you mean the firmware i posted yesterday did not solve the boot up problem?
Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #20
paco_lch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markereader View Post
Paco_lch, did you mean the firmware i posted yesterday did not solve the boot up problem?

No, I haven't tried it yet. So far I've been experimenting only with these (1.6 and 1.7):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164162

Booxtor, what do you think? Should I try it? I would hate to see my M92 turning into an ipad or something as a result of wrong firmware upload
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #21
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_lch View Post
No, I haven't tried it yet. So far I've been experimenting only with these (1.6 and 1.7):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164162

Booxtor, what do you think? Should I try it? I would hate to see my M92 turning into an ipad or something as a result of wrong firmware upload
"Actually if simple reseting or reinstall of firmware does not help in your case it is obviously a warranty case and I would suggest you to contact your vendor.
If you bought your device in our store the replacement could be done immediately. The warranty is worldwide valid."

Has this not been clear enough?
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #22
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
It's obiously not clear enough, since Booxtor obviously didn't know there would suddenly come a new firmware that can be installed. It is now unclear whether he would - in this case - stress "simple" or "reinstall of firmware".
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #23
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Question: is this software of any use for us the others who do not have this problem?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #24
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi,
Here is the attitude of Onyx:

" .. about the M92 problem (hang at the end of progress bar, can not boot into the home screen), we are having one user of to deliver the device with this problem back to our office. So, we can debug and fix this problem more accurately. This problem probably can be solved within this week. Please tell the your users be patient. Thanks.

P.S. The link of M92 update that published at mobileread.com forum does not solve the problem ..."

So you could of course try to use the solution of Markereader (thanks for that link).
But it could be still not the right solution.
To other customers (whose device works properly) - please dont install the firmware from that link just of curiosity, since it is not confirmed to be stable yet. Please be patient. It takes just a couple of days and I will publish the new release
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #25
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Hi, Tuxor, thank you for your welcome. Sorry, i should have told who i am before i posted this link. I registered yesterday. And I am working for Onyx. But i am not Han. He is my colleague. Dont worry about the firmware. It is the firmware that we worked out purposely to solve the boot up problem. Please do as i said. The problem should be solved. The problem should happen to the early batch only. My colleague tested this firmware before giving me. If it does not work for your unit, you can let me know more.
Ah - someone from Onyx in the forum - welcome

I have two questions to onyx you may be able to answer :
- Where can one find the kernel sources/patches used for the M92? (so far, I only found an old kernel of a different product in the repositories) Could you give me a pointer (or have them added to the repositories, please)?
- Is there a contact address where one should direct inquiries or submit patches/extensions created on behalf of the community to? (I tried using the ticket system on the main onyx website, but did not get any response)

Cheers.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,
It takes just a couple of days and I will publish the new release
I am really curious to see how many of our recommendations made it to this update. The ereader is good enough for me. If the PDF reading workflow could somehow be improved and made more ...fluid I would be extremely happy. I do realize that it may take time to get there. I am not sure what it takes to implement contextual menus in the Onyx software... The toollbar at the bottom of the PDF reader should be easy though.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #27
paco_lch

Quote:
Hi, Please download this firmware from: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D033292_4508877_98598

Update instruction: After you download this firmware, put it into an empty SD card( no need to unzip the firmware). You need to update the device twice. It takes around 10 minu for first time and 3 minu for second time. Please try and see if it works
Guys... IT WORKED!

This firmware 'update-20120309' has resurrected my M92!

after checking all the major functions for about 5 min, everything seems good.
all the data files (except scribble; i didn't have notes) in "Internal Storage" stayed intact.

Thanks Markereader, thanks man!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABCD0002.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	83871  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
PF4Mobile
Guru

should we all save this firmware for emergency situatiions

Paco...do you see any new features :-) in your firmware?

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 03-13-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #29
paco_lch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
should we all save this firmware for emergency situatiions

Paco...do you see any new features :-) in your firmware?
I think so; it definitely helped.

Hard to compare (vs. 1.7) as i had only a week of experience with v1.6

in "About" it reads: firmware version 1.7 20120309;
new "aging_test" icon on home screen;
"Zoom by two points" is new to me.

no other fundamental changes in appearance, navigation, or the way the reader connects to wi-fi.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #30
PF4Mobile
Guru

Zoom by two points was there in the latest version posted by Booxtor