Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
iPad Calibre errors wont add books to device

so i just tried it and am not having much joy.

i connect ipad wait for itunes to do sync then go into calibre select a book and choose send to device.

it does

get device info fine
gets book list fine
upload one book to device fine(although it isnt as this doesnt happen)
send meta data to device = error

(app(u'/Applications/iTunes.app').sources[u'iPad'].playlists.name.get, ((), {}), aem.EventError(-1728, '', {'errn': <aem.ae.AEDesc type='long' size=4>}))

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 58, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 283, in _sync_booklists
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 638, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 1429, in _update_device
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/apple/driver.py", line 1222, in _get_device_books
File "site-packages/appscript/reference.py", line 643, in __call__
File "site-packages/appscript/reference.py", line 499, in __call__
CommandError: Command failed:
OSERROR: -1728
COMMAND: app(u'/Applications/iTunes.app').sources[u'iPad'].playlists.name.get()

it alwaysdoes this and this error worked for 7mins before i stopped it by disconnecting ipad in itunes

the book WAS added to itunes but not the iPad! ican then add it using itunes and it works fine.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What OS are you running?
What version of iTunes do you have installed?

Please review the overview in this post to confirm your settings, then report back.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
What OS are you running?
What version of iTunes do you have installed?

Please review the overview in this post to confirm your settings, then report back.

G
Latest 10.5
latest iTunes

seems like the problem is No2!

2. In iTunes Preferences|Advanced, check Keep iTunes Media Folder organized and Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library. You may not be currently be using these settings, but these settings are how the device driver's been tested. The second item 'Copy files ...', is mandatory, because calibre generates a temporary copy of the exported epub when sending it to iTunes. The permanent copy must be stored in iTunes, because the temporary copy provided by calibre is ... temporary.

I do not have that checked and never will as I do not want to create duplicate copies of all my media eg videos and Music I use my own file system.

Would it be possible to adjust calibre so that it adds files to iTunes only? its doing that fine now just the error gets me stuck. would also be cool if I could do that whilst the iPad isnt even connected?

ah now i saee what your saying then now on a previous one the book no longer exists cos the temp is deleted so i have a file showing in iTunes but no actual file but removing that means I can get it into itunes.

hmmm iTunes is happy to link all of my other media via a link to its original location isnt it possible to do this with Calibre? eg if I manually add a calibre converted book to iTunes from the Calibre folder structure it works fine AND I dont have to create a duplicate of my book.

Why is calibre creating a temp copy at all? just add the link to iTunes.

Last edited by stustaff; 06-05-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre keeps a copy of the book in its storage, let's call it the reference copy. When you Send to device, a new temporary copy is made, updated with the current metadata, and delivered to the device, iTunes in this case.

When iTunes gets the file, it writes some additional content into the ePub, specific to iTunes and iBooks. It's not a good idea to allow iTunes to write to calibre's reference copy, because this could have a negative impact on future exports to other devices.

I'll review this to see if there's another way to deal with it, but iTunes is very finicky about storage and writing to its copies of the books, as is calibre.

G
Old 06-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Calibre keeps a copy of the book in its storage, let's call it the reference copy. When you Send to device, a new temporary copy is made, updated with the current metadata, and delivered to the device, iTunes in this case.

When iTunes gets the file, it writes some additional content into the ePub, specific to iTunes and iBooks. It's not a good idea to allow iTunes to write to calibre's reference copy, because this could have a negative impact on future exports to other devices.

I'll review this to see if there's another way to deal with it, but iTunes is very finicky about storage and writing to its copies of the books, as is calibre.

G
Yeh that all makes sense an I know its iTunes 'special' needs that are getting in the way here however at the moment I just drag a book from calibre into iTunes and this does not alter the original file stored in the calibre directory at all?

I just did it with an epub locked to read only. can it still write to a file even if its locked?

Maybe a better solution for allof this would be an add to iTunes option rather than an iPAD only option that creates a NEW copy of the epub in the Itunes directory AND adds it to iTunes then use itunes to sync the books, this would then also work once iBooks is added to iPhone in the summer.

this would also work if someone had add copy to library selected although they would have a duplicate unless you can set the driver to then delete the
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Yeh that all makes sense an I know its iTunes 'special' needs that are getting in the way here however at the moment I just drag a book from calibre into iTunes and this does not alter the original file stored in the calibre directory at all?
Be careful with this. Calibre thinks it owns the file and the directory structure that the book is in. If you change the title or the authors, the directory structure will change, making the iTunes reference invalid. From the iTunes perspective, the book just disappeared.

And no, this isn't an invitation to start yet another "Calibre should use my folder organization and not copy books" discussion.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Be careful with this. Calibre thinks it owns the file and the directory structure that the book is in. If you change the title or the authors, the directory structure will change, making the iTunes reference invalid. From the iTunes perspective, the book just disappeared.

And no, this isn't an invitation to start yet another "Calibre should use my folder organization and not copy books" discussion.

Yeh I am only adding books that I have finished editing to iTunes I would like to know what data they thing iTunes is editing when it's added to the library as I'm not certain it is at all. I locked the file and checked size etc and it added to iTunes fine, I'm tempted to just try writing a small plug in that uses Automator to add any new books into iTunes whilst keeping them in calibres folder structure.

Can anyone confirm that iTunes does or doesn't alter the original file when adding to iTunes?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Can anyone confirm that iTunes does or doesn't alter the original file when adding to iTunes?
This posting is where I first learned of it.

G
Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
This posting is where I first learned of it.

G
Yup that is spot on the iTunes plist is indeed added into the pub.

Could that cause problems then cos at the moment I'm adding my books to iTunes and it's adding that to all the epubs.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
GRiker

stustaff:
I think we have a strategy to allow user-managed storage instead of iTunes storage, it's currently under development. Hopefully it will be ready for 0.7.2.

Please post any followups in this thread.

G