Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
An iPad in Your Pad? It's Up to the Apps

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...6080344721.htm

Quote:
Apple's new device is lovely and loaded with potential, but it won't fly unless there's cool content to go with it
Quote:
Steve Jobs chose the wrong name for Apple's new iPad. A better one would have been iWonder—as in, I wonder if content providers will take full advantage of it. Whether they do so will be the key factor in its success or failure.
love this quote:
Quote:
The question is how fast the media industry can adapt. Are book publishers ready to produce interactive versions that include author interviews and DVD-style extras to take advantage of the iPad's multimedia capabilities? And what about newspaper and magazine publishers? These, after all, are the geniuses who decided to give away their products for free, then expressed shock when people valued the content at exactly the price charged.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
kilron
Connoisseur
kilron doesn't litterkilron doesn't litter

Device: iPod touch
i agree that i think how closely it integrates with media will have a lot to do with the level of its mainstream success. its poised to be an incredible launching pad for lots of different media sources: TV, movies, newspapers, magazines, all kinds of books, as well as the internet.

its good to see jobs hitting up print media hard. this is something he most likely couldn't do much of before the initial announcement, but no doubt he's doing it big time now that the device is public.

i'd love to see hulu embrace the iPad and announce a hulu iPad app for example. i think that would be a HUGE hit and translate extremely well.

i'm also extremely interested in if magazines and newspapers can utilize its potential as well. as someone who used to have more subscriptions to both, i can definitely see myself buying into them again if they're done in an elegant and resourceful way on the iPad.

its early still. no doubt we'll probably see some changes and maybe some surprises by the time it launches in about 2 months time. lots can happen software-wise between now and then.
kilron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilron View Post
i'd love to see hulu embrace the iPad and announce a hulu iPad app for example. i think that would be a HUGE hit and translate extremely well.

i'm also extremely interested in if magazines and newspapers can utilize its potential as well. as someone who used to have more subscriptions to both, i can definitely see myself buying into them again if they're done in an elegant and resourceful way on the iPad....
Hulu would be great, but not without Flash. If anything can relegate the iPad to the dustbin, next to Apple TV, it's the lack of Flash.

As to magazines, I am hoping for the same. BUT, the files have to be in format which can be read on my NEXT device (after the iPad), or easily converted to be made compatible.

If magazines and newspapers are delivered in a DRM0ed and proprietary container like Zinio, I have absolutely no interest, and will not be subscribing to any.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
kilron
Connoisseur
kilron doesn't litterkilron doesn't litter

Device: iPod touch
see, i completely disagree with regards to flash. i have a strong distaste for flash personally. i recently found a plugin for my browser that disables all flash content completely unless i click on it. LOVE IT!

the problem with flash is that adobe is willing to do whatever it takes to make flash succeed with their hands strongly strangling all who use it. .... willing to do everything except actually put any development resources behind non-windows systems or make it open source that is.

the biggest problem with flash is that its not an open standard. nothing else is as ubiquitous on the internet yet is also a completely closed standard. because of that, it will always have issues. the internet is really better off without it. all of the major video players (youtube, vimeo, etc.) are making their libraries completely h264 (non-flash) compliant. Hulu should be next.

the iPad doesn't need flash. hulu just needs to make an app that allows their video to play over h264. that's it. case solved.
kilron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I feel the biggest problem with Flash is it consumes too much processing power and, of course, some sites are rendered nearly useless without Flash (yes, their choice). Why care if the standard is closed? So is the iPhone/iPad OS and App store. As long as it works I don't care.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Content providers will be all over it. When an OS (iPhone OS) can be out just about 3 years, and have 140,000 apps made for it..... well, the word amazing comes to mind.

No worry's about content. The players will all be there, because if they're absent, it may be the beginning of their end... in the future digital world. The change is coming, it may be 2 years or it may be 20... but it's coming. The children growing up now know only a world with broadband internet, hybrid cars and media on demand. That is the market of the future. Those that want to stamp plastic CD's and DVD's and paper books..... had better realize the change is coming...... sooner or later.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote