Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Would YOU buy a Kindle1 as a Backup Reader?

I know the reasons why I'm thinking about one, which is simply this: I want to put a number of PD titles (from here and elsewhere, in addition to all those DRM-free titles I purchased from Fictionwise and put them on the Kindle 1.

I want to reserve my Kindle 2 for the literary works I enjoy.

Or another way to put it: I want to keep Zombies and those pesky dead Cats [uggh! ) from destroying the artistic integrity of literary fiction.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-10-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Or another way to put it: I want to keep Zombies and those pesky dead Cats [uggh! ) from destroying the artistic integrity of literary fiction.
That's a new one

I can't answer for the Kindle, but that's why I use an SD card for some of the content on my Sony - for the "zombies" and the "dead cats"....
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
They can't live on the Jetbook?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
They can't live on the Jetbook?

Yes, of course!

I thoroughly enjoy the jetBook, but I'm missing chapter links. Hopefully, the programming Gods are fast at work on solving this issue.

Don
Old 10-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Yes, of course!

I thoroughly enjoy the jetBook, but I'm missing chapter links. Hopefully, the programming Gods are fast at work on solving this issue.

Don
I see. Well, the K1's are selling at a good price, have high capacity via SD card and will play nice with your K2. Go for it!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Just get a refurb K1. $149 is a great price.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I definitely would buy K1 as a backup reader.
As soon as the price falls under 35 Euro here in my country.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I did just that too - kept my K1 as a backup reader to both my K2 and DX - I now realize that I can NEVER be without a functional ereader! And yes, I tend to keep my PD stuff on the K1 - b/c of the SD card storage. The rest of my library I can always download again from Amazon.
(Bring on the zombies & dead cats! - there's room for everybody!)
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I now realize that I can NEVER be without a functional ereader!
I know what you mean. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Kindle for me, but I'd be lost without a reader of some sort.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont have the kind of money for a backup reader lol but if I did then yes...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Just get a refurb K1. $149 is a great price.
That's why I'm asking, as they're relatively inexpensive right now.

Don
Old 10-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I get tempted to have an extra reader for lending books but since I only have Kindles, I'd probably get something that handled ePub & PDF for quick access to library books without converting. I don't really see the need to have more than one reader for myself unless the other was a large format reader for my work stuff.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
no way i'd get a k1.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
AlexM
AlexM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 (Have 2)
I purchased a second (used) Kindle 1 just after the Kindle 2 was released. Wanted the separate memory card and replaceable battery options. Have no regrets about my decision. Regards...Alex
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Don, it seems to me that buying a K1 is simply buying outdated technology. Why bother? If you can't make do with one of the devices you already own for backup, then why not invest in a large portable hard drive or even a thumb drive (which are very inexpensive these days) as backup storage devices and then when you get the urge to reread a book where links are important, just reload it onto your favorite device.

I store my backup books on a local hard drive in their own directory, which directory gets backed up daily to my NAS drive (a non-internal backup hard drive setup for my home network) and to my off-site, remote backup which is Carbonite.

If you have both a laptop and a desktop, you could also sync your two computers to let them each act as a backup to the other.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote