Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your opinion about fonts?
I have my own reading-font favourites. 77 55.40%
I have thought about it, but the idea flew away with a breeze. 6 4.32%
Whatever is available on my device. 25 17.99%
I am not concerned at all, I just like to read. 31 22.30%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #76
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I could easily modify the line spacing so it's not so close together. It's just simple CSS editing. As for the line space after each paragraph, no way. That just causes a break in reading. If the text is broken by a paragraph space, it interrupts the reading for every paragraph space. When you have the space for a section break, it's OK for the reading to be interrupted so you know it's a new section. But to do something to interrupt after ever paragraph is bad form.

I've noticed that a lot of publishers like to use a line-height of 1.2em which I find just too big.
It's just what I prefer other wise it all runs together for me. I have to add that extra line. Section breaks are usually marked so I don't get confused.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's just what I prefer other wise it all runs together for me. I have to add that extra line. Section breaks are usually marked so I don't get confused.
Most section breaks are just blank space. So if we have a line space between paragraphs and section breaks being blank space, it can be a bit much for some.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #78
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't mind either way, but if you have a blank line between each paragraph, you will end up turning the page slightly more often, because you're getting fewer lines of text on a page. This is going to be slightly worse for your battery-life. (Font size and line-spacing will also be a factor, but your eyes are probably more important than your reader's battery-life. )
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #79
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I don't mind either way, but if you have a blank line between each paragraph, you will end up turning the page slightly more often, because you're getting fewer lines of text on a page. This is going to be slightly worse for your battery-life. (Font size and line-spacing will also be a factor, but your eyes are probably more important than your reader's battery-life. )
This is why I tend to use a slightly smaller font, to save on page turns and thus battery life. I don't take it to an extreme.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #80
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
This is why I tend to use a bigger font, 1.2em line spacing, and space between paragraphs. Because I value my eyes more than my ereader's battery.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #81
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
As a reader, I've never paid attention to font in books or on my Kindle. I just read whatever's there.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #82
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
This is why I tend to use a bigger font, 1.2em line spacing, and space between paragraphs. Because I value my eyes more than my ereader's battery.

eP
I get good battery life from my K4s so it's not a problem. Two weeks is good enough for me. That's 3 to 6 hours a day reading. I use a bigger font size than most probably. I have gone down one size but my eyes are not the best. Out of the 8 sizes the Kindle offers I use size 4. I use normal line spacing, 1em indentations and a space between paragraphs.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #83
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
I like Vollkorn and Apple Garamond Bold on some readers.
Oh true, Vollkorn looks really nice.

http://friedrichalthausen.de/?page_id=411
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #84
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I am wondering if anyone has tried Minion Pro on their ereaders? It comes in both medium and semi-bold weight, I think one of those might work well. For those who like sans serif, Myriad Pro is very nice, I use it a lot for documentation in my job (but I personally don't like reading with a sans serif font).

I did try out Amasis Modified and I found it be a little bit blocky for my taste, too uniform in weight. I guess I like more traditional serif fonts.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #85
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I have a favourite font, and that is Calibri, but I haven't put in on my Kindle.

I do really like the default font on the Kindle itself.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts