Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
iCloud disappoints!!!!!

Ok... upgraded myiPad to iOS5 and downloaded the new iCloud OSX (10.7.2) on my iMac.

What a disappointment! There is no automatic sync in OSX for iWork docs (Pages, Numbers, etc). You must go to the iCloud website where you will see your iCloud docs and download iOS changed docs to your desktop Mac (OSX). Likewise, if you change a doc on the Mac you must upload to iCloud using your browser.

So mobile devices (iPads and iPhones) automatically update between each other but a desktop Mac does not. Say What?????

Last edited by 1611mac; 10-15-2011 at 11:56 PM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I think you can rest assured that support for iWork will arrive in a future update. In any event, a major update to that office package is long overdue anyway.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a new product; I'm sure that proper cloud integration will arrive in due course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Frankly, I'd be happy if I can just log in to iCloud. I was setting up my brother's new phone and I'm getting an incorrect username or password error. That's considering I just created the account on the phone.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a new product; I'm sure that proper cloud integration will arrive in due course.
RE: New product...

All the more reason to go for something that works right out of release.... How hard would it have been to program just ONE specified folder to sync for docs? Calendar, Notes, etc all sync flawlessly but I need docs to sync a hundred times more than my calendar or notes. They couldn't just sync ONE specific folder for iWork?

Seems like a real bad marketing move to me. Especially in light of this line on the iCloud page:
Quote:
This is the cloud the way it should be: automatic and effortless. iCloud is seamlessly integrated into your apps, so you can access your content on all your devices.
May I say that iCloud is seamless from mobile devices to iCloud, but certainly NOT to OSX. That line comes close to false advertising. My iMac is a device is it not? Syncing to my Mac is NOT automatic as the above blurb infers!!! Period.

I'm one of Apple's biggest fans. Been using Apple devices since the beginning, but I'm getting tired of the hype being bigger than the product.
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Finally got iCloud Backup to work yesterday; and only 5 days after it was released. My, wasn't that fast?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
RE: New product...

All the more reason to go for something that works right out of release.... How hard would it have been to program just ONE specified folder to sync for docs? Calendar, Notes, etc all sync flawlessly but I need docs to sync a hundred times more than my calendar or notes. They couldn't just sync ONE specific folder for iWork?
Because that is not how iCloud works?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Because that is not how iCloud works?
My point was, they go to a specific location to sync my calendar data from iMac to iDevice, they go to a specific place to sync my notes from iMac to iDevice, etc, etc. Why not just specify a specific folder in "Documents" to sync iMac to iPad, iPhone iWork docs?

I don't have to do anything for all the other things to sync by I must manually sync iWork docs. That just doesn't make sense to me. Like others, I suspect a fix in the future but just seems that this feature should have been in place on day one.

Last edited by 1611mac; 10-21-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Interesting discussion about this issue on StackExchange:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...ps-with-icloud

Browsing Apple's own dev page on iCloud, it seems pretty odd how iWork is currently working-syncing should be doable without the iCloud.com intermediate step (thru the sync-able folders on your computer that Lion supposedly provides)

What is confusing I think is that Apple claimed a little while back that iWork *had* been updated for Lion, but apparently the actual iCloud integrated update is still in the future.
And why I can understand they can't have everything done in time (they launched so many different new software products two weeks ago), it seems really odd to train people to use this interim method of saving, if they have a better solution coming soon.

I haven't heard of any 3rd party apps that are doing iCloud seamless syncing either yet (although those dev notes I linked to are for them).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote