Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
ljhamilton
ljhamilton began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Library does not have ebooks

I just received a Nook Color for Christmas and am still learning how to use it...

My local library does not have ebooks available for download. I would like to try to read different styles of books without buying them. I checked the next closest county and they charge $200 per year for a membership to their library if you do not live in the county. Is there a library online that anyone can be a member and borrow books from online?

I apologize if this is a duplicate thread. I tried the search on the forum and online and have found nothing.

Thanks for the help.
ljhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
You might try http://search.overdrive.com/ to see if there are any other libraries besides the county ones nearby. Big city libraries usually have better selections.

The most popular "out of area" library is the Free Library of Philadelphia. They charge $15 per year. http://www.freelibrary.org/
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
The Free Library of Philadelphia is a bargain! I joined in June, shortly after buying my first nook. It took about three weeks for my library card to come. Well worth the fee and the wait!
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I have had very good luck with the Philadelphia library as well. Big thumbs up.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
What is the waitlist like at the Free Library of Philadelphia?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Rocknsoul
Rocknsoul began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi
So far from Philly, I downloaded 2 books I wanted immediately (James Patterson), I'm 4th on the waitlist for the next book in that series, and I was 19th out of 19 for a Suzanne Collins audiobook (which, unfortunately, is all they have for the Hunger Games series).

I just joined, so I don't know how long each waitlist will take to get through.
Rocknsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
MusingCoyote
MusingCoyote began at the beginning.

Baen Free Library
it's not really a library, exactly, but a bunch of books that Baen(the publisher, I think) offers for free. I'm not sure if there's anything you'd like there, but it's worth a look at least.
MusingCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What is the waitlist like at the Free Library of Philadelphia?
It really varies based on the popularity and the number of copies they get. Sorry I cannot be more specific, but everyone has different titles that they are interested in. I think you can browse without logging in; you might try that.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
It really varies based on the popularity and the number of copies they get. Sorry I cannot be more specific, but everyone has different titles that they are interested in. I think you can browse without logging in; you might try that.

yes you can browse the overdrive catalog of any library without having an account.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
You should look into the laws as the are applicable to you. In Ohio, since public libraries receive some of their funding from the state, any Ohioan has the right to a library card for any public Ohio library. Most have a rule that you have to come in person and bring proof of residency, but they still have to give you a card.

I get questions every time I renew my Cleveland library card (since I live in Columbus). I just tell them I'm visiting my mom and they drop it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhamilton View Post
My local library does not have ebooks available for download.
If your state is anything like mine (New Hampshire), ebooks are available on a state website, not local. What I mean is that in NH, my local library does not list any ebooks in their catalog. However, if I go to a state ebook website:

http://nh.lib.overdrive.com/4581638F...en/default.htm

I can download ebooks from it. When I do the download, it asks for my local library and my library card. In other words, all or most of the local libraries subscribe to this service, but you still do the downloading at the state level.

I do not know what state you live in, but you should try doing some searches on the state name and "overdrive", etc. Maybe your state is like NH.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
ljhamilton
ljhamilton began at the beginning.

Thank you for all the great information.

I have signed up for the Free Library of Philadelphia. I also checked the state information (I live in Florida) and I didn't see any sort of state website where I can download books. I also checked the other counties, besides the one that charges $200/year, and the rest of the counties in Florida require a fee for non-residents. My local library said that due to budget cuts they would not be providing the service in the near future.

Again thanks for all the information!
ljhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Florida libraries are county-funded by tax money. If you don't pay taxes in that particular county, they expect you to pony up for library membership. Depending on where you live, however, you may be able to get discounts or free memberships if your libraries are in a consortium.

I live in Polk County, for example. I'm able to borrow from libraries from greater Tampa for free, and from greater Orlando at a discount. Another place to check is your local community or state college, if available.

Florida hasn't gotten on the eBook bandwagon very quickly. I think my local library system only has about 100 eBooks to lend, and most of them aren't available when I check.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
You may want to check some of the large cities and your state capital.

All residents of Massachusetts are entitled to a Boston Library card and all residents of New York State are entitled to a NYC card.
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
Rocknsoul
Rocknsoul began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknsoul View Post
So far from Philly, I downloaded 2 books I wanted immediately (James Patterson), I'm 4th on the waitlist for the next book in that series, and I was 19th out of 19 for a Suzanne Collins audiobook (which, unfortunately, is all they have for the Hunger Games series).

I just joined, so I don't know how long each waitlist will take to get through.
For those interested, I just got an email this morning for a book I was 3rd in line for a few days ago. It's the audiobook version of a very popular book which I'm now #66 out 70 for the ebook.

It's a WMA, so I can only listen to it on my PC. Good for when I'm cleaning my office, or the rooms around it.

I've moved up to 2 out of 3 on the the James Patterson, and 15 out of 21 on the Hunger Games mp3.

I've decided when I've finished a library book & I'm on the waiting list, that's a good time to get on another waiting list & read a few of the hundreds of free books I've downloaded thanks to tips on this board.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Rocknsoul is offline   Reply With Quote