Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Tablet PC.

So I was down town Toronto today and stopped in at a small clearance laptop store and picked up a Thinkpad X41 Tablet for a great price.

Guess what? It's the best thing I've found for reading PDF's on. Granted it's overkill for just reading on, but since I needed a laptop computer anyway it will work out for me.

I'll snap a picture or two later today when I find my wife's camera.

Edit: Found the camera, but I am very bad at taking pics. The first one is ereader running, and the second is adobe.

Last edited by shighfield; 05-08-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Where in Toronto and what was the price?
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Very nice! I love my tablet UMPC that also does a great job with PDF files. And, of course, since it's a computer, it does so much more than that.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

www.laptopcloseout.ca I was down on yorkville and saw them. Some good prices on the website too!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Sweeeeet find!!! You MUST bring it to the (first) Toronto meet-up (that's in the works, and not yet officially announced).

If I didn't already have a 10" netbook, I too might have considered it.

Though, my daughter, after seeing a Tablet PC being used in a Family/Disney Channel movie, has been pestering me...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

For those interested, ebay currently has this model located in Canada with free shipping to Cdn destinations for approx. $406 CAD. Link Here

Anyway, it wasn't my intent to make this thread into "find the best deal" but it's an alternative to a dedicated ebook reader device that is multi-functional and able to read pdfs without issues.

I know talking about pdfs appears to be taboo but the reality is that a lot of documentation is currently available only in pdf format so having a decent screen size to read it without a lot of conversion fuss is good.

I must admit to "kinda" holding out on what Apple *may* have in store for a tablet device. With any luck, we may hear of something next month (June). However, I'm fully expecting that such a device will be circa $1K compared to this device which can be had for approximately half the cost and still satisfy my needs.

Last edited by All4Fun; 05-09-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Sweeeeet find!!! You MUST bring it to the (first) Toronto meet-up (that's in the works, and not yet officially announced).
I sure will! At least I'll have something other then a 1150 to bring.

Quote:
Though, my daughter, after seeing a Tablet PC being used in a Family/Disney Channel movie, has been pestering me...
Daughter's are the worst. Mine is going to be 18 in december so....
Old 05-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
I sure will! At least I'll have something other then a 1150 to bring.
Do you still have some older PDA'a or current smartphones? I'm thinking of bringing my (retired) Sony Clie's as well as ASUS eeePC 1000H.

Quote:
Daughter's are the worst. Mine is going to be 18 in december so....
Ca-ching! College/University textbooks on the horizon...

Now's the time to start saving, for that, by NOT BUYING ANYMORE GADGETS, Dad!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is nothing taboo about talking about PDF. We even have a section devoted to it. There are a few users who like to bad mouth it but then they like to bad mouth lots of things so what else is new.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
All4Fun
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is nothing taboo about talking about PDF. We even have a section devoted to it. There are a few users who like to bad mouth it but then they like to bad mouth lots of things so what else is new.

Dale
Thanks Dale for your response if not a little humorous. I guess you're right.

SHighfield: How's your experience been with the tablet thus far? Still happy with it?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Do you still have some older PDA'a or current smartphones? I'm thinking of bringing my (retired) Sony Clie's as well as ASUS eeePC 1000H.
There's always the Crackberry with Ereader installed.

Quote:
Now's the time to start saving, for that, by NOT BUYING ANYMORE GADGETS, Dad!
Thankfully we have it covered already. I need my gadgets!!!

Shawn
Old 05-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

Quote:
SHighfield: How's your experience been with the tablet thus far? Still happy with it?
Yes I am, it's great for sitting on the sofa and surfing, and took it out on the balcony as well. Also (back on topic) for reading those pesky PDF files without the nightmare of converting through 100 filters to get something readable on the Ebookwise.

The fact it swivels into a normal "Laptop" is great as I just chucked it into my briefcase and now I have a laptop for work again. (I had been using an old G4 iBook (also 12")). It works better with my company's software then a netbook as well since it's 1024x768.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #13
coleen
coleen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.coleen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.coleen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I think any tablets that size or bigger, the ones with the rotating around screens that become the back... are way too heavy to hold in your hands like a book to read. Also you should consider that how comfortable you are reading an LCD screen, which is what you will get with a tablet PC. I am student and own a mac tablet for reading and taking notes, working while travelling is almost my daily activity.
coleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #14
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

My Ebookwise is still the best for reading in bed, but the tablet works fine while sitting at a table or in my chair. Again I mainly use it as a PC, but it's nice to have something to read those pesky PDF files on.

As for LCD screen I am not bothered by them I prefer the convience of a backlit screen over the e-ink.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
All4Fun
Zealot

So following shighfield's (Shawn's) post, I went ahead and purchased a used X41 because I was intrigued by the possibilities of using a tablet for reading ebooks and pdfs. I must admit that I'm a little regretful with the purchase because the battery included only lasts about 1.5 hrs. but that's a purchasing gaffe that I made.

Anyway, here are my pros and cons in no particular order with using a tablet PC for reading ebooks:

Battery life - At least 3 hours would work better for me. Obviously, purchasing a new tablet (with a new battery) or a new battery alone would help with this problem.

Weight - Although the X41 is advertised to be 3.5 lbs with the 8-cell battery, it does feel awkward and heavy to get comfortable with for reading ebooks for a long period of time. A dedicated ebook reader is far more comfortable.

Heat Dissipation - While holding the tablet, I can feel the heat being blown out of it which is not necessarily very comfortable.

Ebook Experience - I can read any format on the 12" screen with any font I like . Using the LCD screen for reading doesn't bother me.

Flexibility - I can use the device for more than just reading books.

What I would like to have is a "slate" PC that could do everything above but be 2 pounds or lighter at a reasonable price (~$500). I'm not in the "know" on what's available out there but the very popular HP 2730P and Lenovo x200t tablet PCs are still 3.5 lbs and are still about $1000 CAD or more. I don't know what slate PCs exist today and I would have to do a little research to get myself up to speed.