Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
HFC3
Enthusiast
HFC3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
[SOLVED] Combing ZIP version with MOBI (or AZW,etc) format of the same book

Is there a way to combine an Audiobook type (ZIP) with an eBook (say MOBI) type into the same book entry? I know this works if you have multiple eBook types of the same book (MOBI, AZW, etc). You end up with one entry in the book list, but the Book Details pains shows "Formats: MOBI, AZW" (or whichever types you have). You can then pick and choose which type to transfer to various devices.

But I can't figure out how to combine the Audio and the eBook entries for the same book. That way I won't have duplicate entries in the book list if I have both versions

Thanks!

Last edited by HFC3; 07-07-2013 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Annotate SOLVED
HFC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC3 View Post
Is there a way to combine an Audiobook type (ZIP) with an eBook (say MOBI) type into the same book entry? I know this works if you have multiple eBook types of the same book (MOBI, AZW, etc). You end up with one entry in the book list, but the Book Details pains shows "Formats: MOBI, AZW" (or whichever types you have). You can then pick and choose which type to transfer to various devices.

But I can't figure out how to combine the Audio and the eBook entries for the same book. That way I won't have duplicate entries in the book list if I have both versions

Thanks!
A ZIP is not an Audio file type - its a container - I suggest you unzip it.

If its one audio file (eg an MP3), you can use Add Books->Add file to selected book option to add the audio file. It will show up in book details alongside the blue MOBI - click to play.

If its a zipped folder of audio files (e.g. one chapter per file) then you can add the ZIP to the relevant book simply by dragging it to the Book Details panel and dropping it there - but there's a caveat.

Calibre has the capability to process ZIP (and RAR) files as ebooks. So to avoid any possible conflicts I repackage folders of non-ebook files etc into a 7zip archive, which Calibre won't attempt to process in any way. I then add that archive via the Add file to selected book file option.

If you add the ZIP it may be wise to push ZIP down the Preferences->Behavior->Preferred input format order list, and make sure that ZIP is unchecked in the Use internal viewer list. But I think its best to avoid the issue by using something other than ZIP or RAR for containers of non-ebook files.

Calibre wont transfer audio files to any devices, like it does with ebooks - all it will do is to keep them with the corresponding ebook files.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-06-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: coffee/pasta typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
HFC3
Enthusiast

Actually, I read that about Calibre and ZIP somewhere - which is what let me to try to add my Audiobooks into Calibre. I knew it said Calibre wouldn't handle ZIP files, but I tried it just to see what it would do.

Maybe it's because I've compressed them into ZIPX (not just ZIP), but Calibre is processing them perfectly fine. If I double click them, it opens the ZIP file - where I can unzip before converting or transferring. It doesn't try to do anything odd that I can see.

I'm loath to add each file individually because then it becomes very unwieldy when looking at everything because there would be X related files to "one" book (some of my audio books have as many as 80 or 90 individual MP3 files. If you miss transferring 1, you've screwed the whole book up. By using the compressed ZIPX, all of those individual files are treated as one entity.

But, you've answered my primary question - I hadn't read the "Add Books" list of options closely enough, but the "Add to Selected Book" works perfectly.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC3 View Post
Actually, I read that about Calibre and ZIP somewhere - which is what let me to try to add my Audiobooks into Calibre. I knew it said Calibre wouldn't handle ZIP files, but I tried it just to see what it would do.
Thanks for your help!
Cool, IMO you've made a wise choice by avoiding ZIP.

But, not because of any deficiency in Calibre. Calibre can handle ZIPs in the same way as it is doing with your ZIPX's and my 7z's. But it can also process a ZIP as an ebook providing it has suitable content. My rationale for avoiding ZIP and RAR for non-ebook content is not because of any deficiencies in calibre, but to protect me from confusing myself.

I sometimes save Filtered HTML from Word, when I put it into calibre it creates a ZIP, which I can read in calibre viewer and convert with impunity. So when I see a ZIP I don't have to think is it an ebook or some other 'stuff'.

BR
Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
RAR is not used natively by Calibre for any eBook format so is a good choice when you need a container format. As has been mentioned ZIP is used to store HTML format eBooks in Calibre and is best not used for other purposes.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
RAR is not used natively by Calibre for any eBook format so is a good choice when you need a container format. As has been mentioned ZIP is used to store HTML format eBooks in Calibre and is best not used for other purposes.
I've never used a RAR in Calibre - but it does something with them because its in the preferred input and use reader for lists - for me that's a good enough reason to avoid using them as a container for foreign objects - see attachment.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	107865  

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-07-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
HFC3
Enthusiast

Just as an FYI, ZIPX is ZIP, it's just Zip for Windows 7 or later. I believe it's a more efficient compression algorithm than ZIP, but that's just a guess.

Regardless, Calibre either recognizes that the content isn't HTML, or since the extension is different (ZIPX), it opens the file in WinZIP, not an ebook reader. From your most recent post, it could also be because ZIP is not checked in the Use Internal Reader list (ZIPX isn't in that list at all).

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I've never used a RAR in Calibre - but it does something with them because its in the preferred input and use reader for lists - for me that's a good enough reason to avoid using them as a container for foreign objects - see attachment.

BR
The reason RAR is on the preferred input list is that many books are made available in that format. However Calibre then normally extracts the book and stores the extracted results. The only time RAR gets stored unchanged is when Calibre cannot identify that the RAR contains a single ebook in one of the supported formats Another reason Calibre has built-in support for RAR is that .cbr comic format is also a RAR under the covers.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The reason RAR is on the preferred input list is that many books are made available in that format. However Calibre then normally extracts the book and stores the extracted results. The only time RAR gets stored unchanged is when Calibre cannot identify that the RAR contains a single ebook in one of the supported formats Another reason Calibre has built-in support for RAR is that .cbr comic format is also a RAR under the covers.
At the risk of repeating myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
My rationale for avoiding ZIP and RAR for non-ebook content is not because of any deficiencies in calibre, but to protect me from confusing myself.
BR
Old 07-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard

I DID notice what you said. I know in my library I have NO eBooks in RAR format so would not have found it confusing. I have LOTS of ZIP files from HTMl books so would definitely want to avoid that option. I have used RAR format for attaching the contents of an audiobook to a book record.

You can always use another archive format (e.g. .7z) but to add such files to Calibre you have go through the inconvenience of using add books (because drag-and-drop will not work) and select the 'other books' option.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
HFC3
Enthusiast

I did note that drag-drop did not work for my ZipX formats - I didn't realize that was because ZIPX wasn't one of the recognized formats.

>Shift<-A/Add file to selected Book works for me, though, since I have a limited (for now, at least) number of Audiobooks.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I raised a change request at launchpad https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1198762

If you don't ask you'll never ever know

Kovid has replied - he's not going to do it, as he thinks it would create problems if people started dropping 'weird' things in there.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-08-2013 at 05:07 AM.