Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
macnab69
Zealot
macnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 4
Understanding series

Can't find the info I am looking for.
When there is a series of books, I do this with the filename:
author - [seriesname seriesnumber] bookname

I use an abbreviation for seriesname, but that is neither here nor there.

Is there any advantage in using calibre's series abilities and, if so, how?
macnab69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
1) Many, if not most, eReaders list books by their internal title rather than their filename. In my case (for Mobi books on my Palm, transferred manually pre-Calibre) I had to not only rename the files (so I could tell what I was transferring) but also edit the internal title.

2) I'm not sure how your system handles crossover books? (Mine didn't-a problem I never solved.) Of course Calibre doesn't seem to handle that either-but I set the series to Crossover with the true series information (both series) at the top of the comments.

So the advantage might not be Calibre's series abilities but it is (I think) an advantage to use Calibre's metadata abilities. (You can also use Tags to identify multiple series but I haven't figured out, yet, how to include the sequence numbers in that.)

If your eReader doesn't have the ability to display the series or comments metadata then there's probably little, if any, advantage to Calibre. Except that you can, maybe, use Calibre Companion to display the metadata & choose which book to read next. (I'm not sure what platforms CC works on. Not on my Palm, that's for sure.)

Last edited by calvin-c; 01-24-2013 at 12:56 PM.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
macnab69
Zealot
macnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toys

Seeing as I put the [seriesnamne seriesnumber] bookname in the Title in metadata, it seems that I am covered. I sort by Title, then I sort by Author, so I see everything listed nicely.

As for crossover, and sub-series, I don't think anythying could handle ir properly. If I ever come across such a situation then I will use something along the lines of [mainseries mainseriesnumber - subseries subseriesnumber] bookname in my Title.

So I won't bother with the series tag. I'll look up CC, see if it can help more.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
2) I'm not sure how your system handles crossover books? (Mine didn't-a problem I never solved.) Of course Calibre doesn't seem to handle that either-but I set the series to Crossover with the true series information (both series) at the top of the comments.
Calibre handles multiple series and series universes any way you want. I created a separate custom series column labeled Universe to order books across multiple series that are part of the same universe.

Quote:
Except that you can, maybe, use Calibre Companion to display the metadata & choose which book to read next. (I'm not sure what platforms CC works on. Not on my Palm, that's for sure.)
CC is an Android App.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnab69 View Post
Can't find the info I am looking for.
When there is a series of books, I do this with the filename:
author - [seriesname seriesnumber] bookname

I use an abbreviation for seriesname, but that is neither here nor there.

Is there any advantage in using calibre's series abilities and, if so, how?

You should use all the metadata columns correctly as you can use calibre send to options better. Today some readers support series some don't so if a reader doesn't support series you can use metadata plugboards to add series to the title when sending to your device.
Using calibre metadata columns correctly is the best way to go as it allows you export in any filename you like. And it future proofs your library so in future if you decide to do something differently you are still able to do it. I know the hurt of redoing a 700-800 ebook library

Calibre supports series and sub series. So its good for setting up universes the problem comes if you want to number them by universe timeline instead of individual series numbers. But you can add a floating point custom column. I just use the series number column to follow the universe storyline.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	689
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	100005  
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doctor Ohh: True-I saw Kindle & somehow overlooked the 'for Windows'.

Dopedangel: Mine doesn't seem to work the same as yours-am I missing something? When I add the subseries it treats it as a separate series. That doesn't prevent me from setting the fractional sequence numbers but it annoys me when I'm trying to look at the entire 'universe'. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Dopedangel: Mine doesn't seem to work the same as yours-am I missing something? When I add the subseries it treats it as a separate series. That doesn't prevent me from setting the fractional sequence numbers but it annoys me when I'm trying to look at the entire 'universe'. Thanks.
When you have hierarchical series, you click a second time on the parent and you get the Double Plus, not the normal Minus (that is now the third click)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
macnab69
Zealot

I have been fiddling a bit and one thing strikes me. If you have 12 books in a series, you use the Series tag and a plugboard to send all 12 to your device. Then the 12 books are named nicely for you.

But I don't put hundreds of books in my device, it takes too long to find what you want. And I don't read all 12 books in a series without a break. So I send a few books at a time to my device. So I read book1 of the series. Three months later I want to read book2. In calibre, it's not so easy to see which is book2 or book3, etc.

So I'll stick to [seriesname seriesnumber] booktitle for the Title. Although it is a bit of a pain doing all the editing.

Maybe a macro to do it?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnab69 View Post
. In calibre, it's not so easy to see which is book2 or book3, etc.
Not sure I understand this comment? If you have set the series information in Calibre you can search on series name and you get just the books in that series. You can also sort on the series column to get them put into order.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
macnab69
Zealot

I see, yes. Switch the column on.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:

Sorry I set it up so long ago I forgot you have to enable it in the options
go to preferences>look and feel>Tag Browser> add series in
categories with hierarchical items
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
calvin-c
Guru

Ahh, that did it-thank you.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
So I have a question about series and subseries.
Let's say I have a "Discworld" series and subseries of "Rincewind", "Death", "Witches" and so on.. So I want to have books numbered diffrently for Discworld series and differently for its subseries.
For example "The Colour of Magic" is 1 in "Discworld" and 1 in "Rincewind"
"The Light Fantastic" is 2 in "Discworld" and 2 in "Rincewind".
But next one is "Equal Rites" which is 3 in "Discworld" and 1 in "Witches".
And "Mort" would be 4 in "Discworld" but 1 in "Death"
So is there a way to do it with the hierarchical setup of series? Because for me it seems that adding book to subseries takes away the number of parent series. Is Dopedangel's floating point custom column only way to achive this?
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The commonest way to do this seems to be to set up a Custom column of type 'series' and then use this to maintain the second series for those cases that need it. Doing this allows the numbering in the new custom Series type column to be independent of that in the built-in one.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Thanks. For me that would be a better solution
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote