Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your opinion about fonts?
I have my own reading-font favourites. 77 55.40%
I have thought about it, but the idea flew away with a breeze. 6 4.32%
Whatever is available on my device. 25 17.99%
I am not concerned at all, I just like to read. 31 22.30%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #61
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I use a stock Kindle Touch for most of my reading. I prefer the sans serif typeface on it because the serif typeface isn't as readable to me. I think that particular serif font lacks weight. This is the opposite of my preferences for most paper books, but the Kindle Touch comes with just serif, sans serif, and condensed as standard typeface choices. I love my KT for the most part but I wish it came with more fonts.

Fonts are important. I have found many paper books that I would have gladly bought except I didn't like how the words looked on the page.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #62
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
I like Vollkorn and Apple Garamond Bold on some readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't like that font used in that scanned image. The capitols are too big compared to the lowercase and look at ho the uppercase J descends below the lowercase. IT just doesn't work and will end up giving a somewhat large line height.
The font I do rather like is Charis SIL. From it, I generated a proper smallcap version. The default line-height is fairly small and the uppercase/lowercase ratio is rather good. The caps are not too big and the lowercase not too small. Plus, I was easily able to modify the font to increase the weight a little to make it look even better with an eink screen.
Could you post a link to your tweaked version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have my favorite reading fonts. I do not like Caecilia at all. It reminds me of old west style writing not something I want to read every book with. I prefer Sans-Serif but I currently use a Serif font.
I use Amasis Modified. It basically Amasis that has been edited to look better on eInk. Someone here edited and it has saved me from dealing with font and contrast unhappiness
On my Tablet I use Amasis Modified or Trebuchet before that It was Tahoma. On my old eReader which was before Pearl I used TheSans.
I have tried many fonts but I always go back to those three.
I would love to get a copy of this as well.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #63
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
Could you post a link to your tweaked version?

I would love to get a copy of this as well.
Yeah, no fair to tease!
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, there is a thread in the General section that links the modified Charis SIL that you've missed. I started it early July 2012.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #65
DarnellSaki
The Boy With 1000 Stories
DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexuz 7
Spoiler:
Comic Sans

But seriously I use Aldiko and spend a good few minutes finding the right font to suit the story before diving in. It helps immersion imo
DarnellSaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #66
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
JSWolf, much appreciated.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
JSWolf, much appreciated.
Happy to help. What do you think of the enhanced Charis SIL?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #68
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Hmm...

There sure is difference between a screenshot and actual viewing. I prefer second font over first on eInk, but first screenshot attracts when I view on LCD screen. Which one do you think is better?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0007.bmp (234.5 KB, 240 views)
File Type: bmp scr0010.bmp (234.5 KB, 262 views)
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #69
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Yes, fonts need to be a little heavier when viewing on e-ink. That's why people make their own, slightly heavier "e-ink versions" of their favorite fonts, and why Amazon uses such a heavy font.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #70
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Happy to help. What do you think of the enhanced Charis SIL?
It's clean. Nice spacious. Easy enough to read fast. Professional flavour like Palatino.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0011.bmp (234.5 KB, 252 views)
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #71
Nexutix
Reading and reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Yes, fonts need to be a little heavier when viewing on e-ink. That's why people make their own, slightly heavier "e-ink versions" of their favorite fonts, and why Amazon uses such a heavy font.

eP
Amazon font sure looks exceedingly easy to read and "gliding" for eyes. I am using Caecilia LT 76. Look at the post above, how nice it looks!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #72
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I honestly hardly ever pay attention to font, just whatever's there is a go. I do, however, tend to like, if I were choosing, thinner, serif, more elegant, old-school fonts. But I never bother choosing.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
It's clean. Nice spacious. Easy enough to read fast. Professional flavour like Palatino.
Personally, I find that line spacing to be a bit large. You'd most likely find what I like a bit squished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0123.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	92697  
Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Personally, I find that line spacing to be a bit large. You'd most likely find what I like a bit squished.
Too close together for me. It all runs together. I don't like too large of line spacing normal is good enough for me. I do however have to have a empty line after each paragraph.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Too close together for me. It all runs together. I don't like too large of line spacing normal is good enough for me. I do however have to have a empty line after each paragraph.
I could easily modify the line spacing so it's not so close together. It's just simple CSS editing. As for the line space after each paragraph, no way. That just causes a break in reading. If the text is broken by a paragraph space, it interrupts the reading for every paragraph space. When you have the space for a section break, it's OK for the reading to be interrupted so you know it's a new section. But to do something to interrupt after ever paragraph is bad form.

I've noticed that a lot of publishers like to use a line-height of 1.2em which I find just too big.

Tags
fonts