Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #61
chrisp
chrisp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Original Screensavers:

http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comme..._the_kindle_4/
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #62
damonlee
damonlee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
You are a legend.

Thankyou
damonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #63
kubbur
kubbur began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nontouch nonkeyboard
i made a new video on how to enable custom screensavers on kindle nt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_pGDMsAYo
kubbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #64
Kucifus
Kucifus began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubbur View Post
i made a new video on how to enable custom screensavers on kindle nt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_pGDMsAYo

Man, thank you. I've been having a fair few problems doing this but following that guide made it so simple. Can't wait to have some fun with this now. Excellent stuff!
Kucifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #65
Kucifus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kucifus View Post
Man, thank you. I've been having a fair few problems doing this but following that guide made it so simple. Can't wait to have some fun with this now. Excellent stuff!
Maybe a bit preemptive there, all the folders and such are showing up fine and I've put a bunch of my own screensavers on, only when I actually do turn off my Kindle all I get is a blank screen. None of the screenies I've put on are showing, nor are the old ones. Any idea where I've gone wrong? They are all 600x800 and PNG formatted.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #66
Kucifus

Ahh. Final update: I've realised that all I needed to do was restart the Kindle, it's all working excellently.

I do have a new question though, any idea how to randomize which screensaver comes on?

Last edited by Kucifus; 01-04-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #67
dzchimp
dzchimp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Ssh/sftp in normal booted up mode

Is there a way to eject the USB and mount the root file system while booted up, instead of having to go to maintainence mode?
dzchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #68
dionoea
Enthusiast
dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzchimp View Post
Is there a way to eject the USB and mount the root file system while booted up, instead of having to go to maintainence mode?
In what context? Using usb networking? over wifi? (where do you want to "mount" the root filesystem?)
dionoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #69
UnStable
UnStable began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that has worked on this, after following the tutorials and watching the videos on here I now have custom screensavers on my Kindle
UnStable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #70
kubbur
kubbur began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nontouch nonkeyboard
ur welcome
kubbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #71
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
yep thanks alot. totaly worth the trouble even though i couldt get the 100% fitting pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	80831  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-05-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Replaced external link with uploaded thumbnail/graphic.
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #72
goo
goo began at the beginning.

Device: k4 (non touch)
i would very much love do this but i wanna make sure i know what im getting into.

is it possible to brick my kindle if something goes wrong along the way? (im fairly confident that i can follow the instructions but if had enough shit happen in the wrong time to be wondering)
goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #73
martines
martines began at the beginning.

Device: none
hi there! is it possible yet to use anksrs on kindle4 yet?please help me i ve tried everywhere and still found no answers .. :/
thanks for ur time
martines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #74
fcale
fcale began at the beginning.

I did the tutorial step by step, double checked the symbolic link, and verify it according to the tutorial,
Quote:
1. cd /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver
2. ls -l - should show symbolic link to /mnt/us/screensaver
3. cd 600x800 - should take you to /mnt/us/screensaver
4. pwd - list your current directory path
5. ls -l should list contents of the screensaver directory
a. should be empty at this time
1. Unless you used the "OPTIONAL METHOD" below
Like this, when I type in No.3 and No.4, the current directory path shows "/mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver" but not "/mnt/us/screensaver"...is here any problem?

The screensaver works; however there's a minor issue that when the K4 first time turns off, the screensaver will show a blank, after that, the screensaver will work fine no matter how many times the K4 turns off....
Any method to solve it? it makes me mad.....(having a little OCD)
fcale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #75
colblaha
colblaha began at the beginning.

Device: K4 NT SO
To clarify, can a kindle with special offers display custom screensavers? I've gone through all the steps on my K4 NT w/SO in the .rtf attached further up, added an original screensaver to the new directory I created that Windows Explorer can see and restarted. I still see the advertisements.

Has anyone with a Kindle 4 with special offers gotten this to work?

Thanks!
colblaha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 4th gen hack