Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Nook Color vs. Galaxy Tab CNET

Interesting video

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...CmoreStories.0
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
robert23
robert23 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Boy, that Tab is S*L*O*W!
robert23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Wow that was a great video! I always wondered how the nook would stack up to the Tab. I think it stacks up pretty well on all levels except on the graphics card the Tab does render graphics better.

One thing he did not show was video, flash, and games, activities which do push the CPU.

Last point he does mention both have bluetooth but fails to mention BT does not work on the nook and hacks that do work are still in the experimental stage.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Last point he does mention both have bluetooth but fails to mention BT does not work on the nook and hacks that do work are still in the experimental stage.
What would bluetooth bring to the NC?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What would bluetooth bring to the NC?
My comment was based on the reviewer claiming a feature set that wasn't existent. To be fair bluetooth is now supported CM7, but it has not made its way to nookie, the android version he was using.

However to answer your question bluetooth gives the nook:
-Ability to transfer files to any bluetooth device, no need for a network out cables.
-Ability to tether hardware: keyboard, mouse, etc.
-Ability to tether nook
-Ability to print
-Ability to connect a head set and listen to music
-Ability to stream music
-Ability to make VOIP calls, with a headset that has a microphone.

Off the top of my head those are some of the things to gain from having bluetooth on the nook.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 03-17-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Fixed grammer, curse you auto correct
Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
My comment was based on the reviewer claiming a feature set that wasn't existent. To be fair bluetooth is now supported CM7, but it has not made its way to nookie, the android version he was using.

-Ability to transfer files to any bluetooth device, no need for a network out cables.
-Ability to tether nook
-Ability to print
-ability to connect a head set and listen to music
-Ability to stream music

Of the top of my head those are singer of the things to gain from having bluetooth on the nook.

=X=
Thanks, I appreciate it. I have bluetooth on my netbook, iPod and cell phone. I never use it, because I never really understood what it would do.

So if I had a bluetooth mouse for my netbook, I'd no longer have to plug a USB dongle into it like I currently do with my wireless mouse?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks, I appreciate it. I have bluetooth on my netbook, iPod and cell phone. I never use it, because I never really understood what it would do.

So if I had a bluetooth mouse for my netbook, I'd no longer have to plug a USB dongle into it like I currently do with my wireless mouse?
Right, once your mouse is in range, or woken up it would automatically act as the mouse.

My brother use to have his laptop hooked up to his TV. He bought himself a fancy BT gyro mouse and keyboard. He use to use the mouse as a remote control to play HULU and Netflix movies off of his laptop/TV.

My favorite use of the BT is when I stream music off of my phone to my BT head set when a call comes in, I just tap a button on my head set and it answers the phone. Once I'm done with the call the streaming music resumes.

=X=
Old 03-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
Noob Saibot
Noob Saibot began at the beginning.

Device: nookColor
Quote:

-Ability to tether nook
-Ability to print
-Ability to stream music

Off the top of my head those are some of the things to gain from having bluetooth on the nook.

=X=
You forgot the most important use for Bluetooth on the nook color:
Using a WiMote + Classic pad to play games on N64-OID!
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:

-Ability to tether nook
-Ability to print
-Ability to stream music

=X=
If memory serves, a headset, by definition, has a microphone and at least one ear-piece with a speaker.
No mic = headphones, w/mic = headset
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #10
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Right, once your mouse is in range, or woken up it would automatically act as the mouse.

My brother use to have his laptop hooked up to his TV. He bought himself a fancy BT gyro mouse and keyboard. He use to use the mouse as a remote control to play HULU and Netflix movies off of his laptop/TV.

My favorite use of the BT is when I stream music off of my phone to my BT head set when a call comes in, I just tap a button on my head set and it answers the phone. Once I'm done with the call the streaming music resumes.

=X=
I've personally found BT too squirrely for reliable mouse use. Can have trouble in high wi-fi traffic areas (wi-fi / BT traffic run on similiar mhz bands)...doesn't recover well sometimes from sleep...sometimes needs re-peairing...etc. I prefer a logitech mouse with a tiny USB adapter that stays in all of the time on a laptop. More reliable.

Other than that, it's handy. I personally love my Plantronics 590 wireless stereo headset - great headphones with an extendable mic.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
If memory serves, a headset, by definition, has a microphone and at least one ear-piece with a speaker.
No mic = headphones, w/mic = headset
Yes you're correct I just wanted to emphasis it needed a mic, since the nook does not have a mic.