Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
giuseppemag
giuseppemag began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-ink writer

Does anybody knows if there is some e-ink device that allows even rudimentary writing with an external USB keyboard?

I am the happy owner of both a sony prs600 and an irex dr1000s and I have really started to dread using one of my laptops: e-ink is more pleasant and the readers are truly portable (long lasting batteries for one); since I spend a lot of time writing in addition to reading, I would truly love to get writing back from a PC
giuseppemag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hi guiseppemag; welcome to MR -

That's a question I cannot answer, but initially I would say no if only because the eink devices may not have the necessary interface or power [ but I may be totally wrong ].

An expert will surely be along in due course...

again - welcome....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
PocketBook announced a Bluetooth keyboard for the PB302, though it isn't available yet. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask PocketBook for some details...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
PocketBook announced a Bluetooth keyboard for the PB302, though it isn't available yet. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask PocketBook for some details...

oooo - smart ..... guess that's me wrong, again ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Isn't there a way to attach a USB keyboard to the iRex Illiad?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, I believe the Entourage Edge also allows you to plug in a keyboard or use a BT keyboard.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
LisaPT
LisaPT began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader PRS-600
Not an ebook reader or e-ink, but an AlphaSmart is basically a very nice keyboard with an easy to read, if small, screen. The battery lasts about forever, but it is rather old technology.
LisaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Wouldn't e-ink be rather slow for writing? Wouldn't it flash with every keystroke? And that would pretty well kill the battery life advantage, wouldn't it?

Just speculating, here!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppemag View Post
Does anybody knows if there is some e-ink device that allows even rudimentary writing with an external USB keyboard?
eInk, not that I know of. Basically, any device that uses eInk is pretty much an "ebook reader," not a "tablet computer." That's like expecting a bread knife to do everything a Swiss Army Knife can do.

You'll be better off using some kind of tablet.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Wouldn't e-ink be rather slow for writing? Wouldn't it flash with every keystroke? And that would pretty well kill the battery life advantage, wouldn't it?

Just speculating, here!
no. all of the current e-ink displays and processors are capable refreshing just one spot /character.

there are plenty of devices now that let you search or take notes for instance and use a soft keyboard to type a letter/number at a time. other devices like onyx, irex and others have digitizers which allow you to write or draw by hand with a stylus without doing a full refresh.

Look at this TI platform used to show off its newest omap SOC http://e2e.ti.com/videos/m/applicati...ic/144328.aspx at just after 2:00

To answer the op- yes PocketBook at least has announced a keyboard that will be usable with their devices
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I love my Alphasmart...I've owned the very old AS 3000, the Dana and now I am the proud owner of a Neo.

they are great for writing on the go without any technical hurdles.

you can get older AS3000s and Danas on Ebay very economically.

Just type it in, connect a USB cable between the Alphasmart and your computer, open up your word processing program and hit send. They couldn't be easier.

And durable. Designed for the education market, they can take a pounding without being damaged.

www.AlphaSmart.com
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
andrewed
typist
andrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Kindle 3
forget pocketbook. crystalfontz has done it.

crystalfontz.com now offers full on linux ubuntu computer with 6" e-ink screen, touchscreen optional. out of the box word processing with regular usb keyboard. fricking ethernet for god's sake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2rfphDBV1o : thorough youtube demo of hardware, shows some software, including typing in spreadsheet program.

finally, finally, finally someone has done it. thank you crystalfontz. let the real digital writing begin.

Last edited by andrewed; 12-09-2010 at 07:44 AM.
andrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewed View Post
crystalfontz.com now offers full on linux ubuntu computer with 6" e-ink screen, touchscreen optional. out of the box word processing with regular usb keyboard. fricking ethernet for god's sake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2rfphDBV1o : thorough youtube demo of hardware, shows some software, including typing in spreadsheet program.

finally, finally, finally someone has done it. thank you crystalfontz. let the real digital writing begin.
Where is a finished, consumer ready computer offered? I see a bunch of boards.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
andrewed
typist
andrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Where is a finished, consumer ready computer offered? I see a bunch of boards.
you're right, it is an unenclosed developer platform, not a consumer-ready product. however, it is extremely trim, and it would not be difficult to build a case around it--or have one built. here is the exact link: http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfa910
andrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #15
traponk
traponk began at the beginning.

Device: rooted e-ink Nook
If you root a Nook, you can add a word processing app that lets you type & save text, but i don't think there's any way to remove what you saved. It's called NookNotes. It's not perfect, and not quite what you're asking about, but it might be the closest thing there is.
traponk is offline   Reply With Quote