Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #346
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Thanks for asking, but I'm afraid that the barn is still a big question mark. We have quite a large hole to get out of financially, and the job is in Davenport, IA (a 90 minute commute one way). They have offered him an pay incentive with relocation cost reimbursement if we relocate to the Quad Cities area. Definitely something we really don't want to do, Barn or no barn, I hate the idea of moving further away from my family and especially all of the friends my daughter and I have made since we moved here.

Anyone here on MobileRead live in the Quad cities?
We went through that 6 years ago when Lucent Technologies (formerly AT&T Bell Labs) had a major layoff and closed down the building where my husband was working. It took him 9 months to find a job that, unfortunately required us to move from South Florida to Virginia causing me to give up my teaching job at the school I loved. It was frustrating and disheartening but ultimately we've had a good life here in Virginia (so far ).

I hope things work out for you and your family.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #347
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Thanks for asking, but I'm afraid that the barn is still a big question mark. We have quite a large hole to get out of financially, and the job is in Davenport, IA (a 90 minute commute one way). They have offered him an pay incentive with relocation cost reimbursement if we relocate to the Quad Cities area. Definitely something we really don't want to do, Barn or no barn, I hate the idea of moving further away from my family and especially all of the friends my daughter and I have made since we moved here.

Anyone here on MobileRead live in the Quad cities?
I used to live in Milan and work in Moline. I really liked the Quad Cities. Didn't much care for the management of the local medical center, though...

What company is he working for?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #348
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I used to live in Milan and work in Moline. I really liked the Quad Cities. Didn't much care for the management of the local medical center, though...

What company is he working for?
The company's name is PCT Engineered Systems. He's a Controls Design Engineer. It's pretty much right off the interstate, so the driving is easy most of the way, so he says. Our homeschool group just this September went to Niabi Zoo. My daughter loved it. She's so into animals! That doesn't look to be too far from Milan. I've had another friend tell me how much she likes the Quad Cities, too. So, who knows... ?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #349
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
If you move to the QC, you should consider the addage I was told when I first moved there and was looking for a house: "Never cross the river to get to work." I was happy that I follwed that, because several times the bridges were near impassable with the ice stroms we got. And the Flood of '93 made crossing bridges really exciting and not in a good way.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #350
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
If you move to the QC, you should consider the addage I was told when I first moved there and was looking for a house: "Never cross the river to get to work." I was happy that I follwed that, because several times the bridges were near impassable with the ice stroms we got. And the Flood of '93 made crossing bridges really exciting and not in a good way.
Sounds like great advice and we will keep that in mind! Just wondering if this bit of advice is going to cost me $300 to be paid to the laddie by the door? If so, I hope we can work out a payment plan!
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #351
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Sounds like great advice and we will keep that in mind! Just wondering if this bit of advice is going to cost me $300 to be paid to the laddie by the door? If so, I hope we can work out a payment plan!
I think, on this occasion, the rest of us can club together for this one.

<sound effect of laddy running away with extreme rapidity, lest the clubs are directed at him.>

All the best....
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #352
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post

<sound effect of laddy running away with extreme rapidity, lest the clubs are directed at him.>

All the best....
I completely agree! I'm happy to lend my 2 cents to the kitty.

RBMom, I'm keeping your family in my thoughts. It's a very stressful time for all of you but having your husband back to work is a blessing.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #353
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

All the best....
I was going to suggest that as well, so I'm in.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #354
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:

All the best....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I completely agree! I'm happy to lend my 2 cents to the kitty.

RBMom, I'm keeping your family in my thoughts. It's a very stressful time for all of you but having your husband back to work is a blessing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I was going to suggest that as well, so I'm in.
Awww! Thanks all!
(And yes- having my husband back at work is a BLESSING- in more than one way!) When we were just dating I remember taking a ceramics class with a girlfriend, and all of the other women there were older with retired husbands at home, and oh did they rant! I remember thinking how strange that was and that I would think being with my husband all the time would be absolutely wonderful!) Fast forward 25 years... I know exactly what they were talking about!
Well, I will miss our morning coffee together, talking and warming up in front of the fireplace these cold, chilly, sometimes freezing mornings before the apple of our eyes woke up.

Thanks for the kind thoughts!