Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-19-2021, 05:26 AM   #1
Mook4Nook
Mook4Nook began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Book related apps/sites

I’ve been doing a bit of researching and have come across quite a few Goodreads type of alternatives. These may not be new to anyone else but it’s quite new to me; ones like Litsy, StoryGraph, Libib etc

Does anyone use any of these apps and what do you use it for? Is it helpful and do you enjoy using it?
Mook4Nook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:24 PM   #2
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I didn't have interest to transfer all data and updates on thousands of books on another site besides Goodreads, although I have tried a few out to see options. Some of them are mobile only, which is a turn off for me and cuts out the temptation.

Edited to add - not putting these down for those who like them. I know several are very popular, especially Litsy and Storygraph. I see them referenced often during read-a-thons on twitter and updates. Haven't heard of Libib.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2021, 07:04 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook4Nook View Post
I’ve been doing a bit of researching and have come across quite a few Goodreads type of alternatives. These may not be new to anyone else but it’s quite new to me; ones like Litsy, StoryGraph, Libib etc

Does anyone use any of these apps and what do you use it for? Is it helpful and do you enjoy using it?
I ditched Goodreads several years ago, and joined StoryGraph in Oct 2020 when in still in beta. I liked it so much I paid for the Plus features before the site even went live, and have found it infinitely more to my liking than the very ill-yclept Goodreads ever was. If you want to give it a try, the GR import function at StoryGraph apparently works very well, and very quickly, even for those with very large GR records. It costs nothing to try, and that includes the "Plus" features, which are available free to trial for a month.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I like LibraryThing
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:02 AM   #5
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Seconded. (https://www.librarything.com/catalog/Maddz)

I've got 13,175 titles catalogued at the moment - I'm currently working on CDs, with the rest of the sitting room books to go (4 large bookcases).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Seconded. (https://www.librarything.com/catalog/Maddz)

I've got 13,175 titles catalogued at the moment - I'm currently working on CDs, with the rest of the sitting room books to go (4 large bookcases).
I do wish LibraryThing focused exclusively on books. But that's just my preference. The site isn't called BookThing after all.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:15 PM   #7
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
I do wish LibraryThing focused exclusively on books. But that's just my preference. The site isn't called BookThing after all.
I'll also be cataloguing board games as well (DVDs were done a while back). At least I don't collect perfumes or bobcats.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
Mook4Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I didn't have interest to transfer all data and updates on thousands of books on another site besides Goodreads, although I have tried a few out to see options. Some of them are mobile only, which is a turn off for me and cuts out the temptation.
I’ve also got a GR account but I think I’m not using it for the library cataloguing system it’s meant to be used for. I mainly only add books there once I’m about to read it or currently reading or obviously the books I have already read. I’m really looking for a good library cataloguing system for my home library books.

How do you use your GR as there seems to be a few ways of how people use it.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #9
Mook4Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I ditched Goodreads several years ago, and joined StoryGraph in Oct 2020 when in still in beta. I liked it so much I paid for the Plus features before the site even went live, and have found it infinitely more to my liking than the very ill-yclept Goodreads ever was.
Is Storygraph a home library cataloguing software? How does it differ from GR? What are the pros of Storygraph over GR and have you got your entire home library all into Storygraph? How much is the paid version and what’s the difference.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I cannot stand LibraryThing. I once joined it and fund a major error. I reported it and it did not get fixed after 2 weeks. So I left. The staff don't care,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And to be on topic, the best book app is Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #12
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And to be on topic, the best book app is Calibre.
I like Calibre for e-book management, but not for the social aspect, reviews, groups, or books.

Sadly I didn't back up my information and had a hard drive crash, so I need to keep working on trying to retrieve data for Calibre again.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #13
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook4Nook View Post
I’ve also got a GR account but I think I’m not using it for the library cataloguing system it’s meant to be used for. I mainly only add books there once I’m about to read it or currently reading or obviously the books I have already read. I’m really looking for a good library cataloguing system for my home library books.

How do you use your GR as there seems to be a few ways of how people use it.
Depends what you're looking for. I mainly use Goodreads for tracking books on my shelves with a lot of select criteria, but also love the groups and reading challenges. LibraryThing is a great resource for also just tracking the books, but to me is a bit confusing on adding to collections easily.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I cannot stand LibraryThing. I once joined it and fund a major error. I reported it and it did not get fixed after 2 weeks. So I left. The staff don't care,
Out of curiosity, what was the major error you found?
Old 12-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I wondered that too. It sounds like this is the issue he had:
Quote:
I too use GoodReads. I did try LibraryThing and I hated it. The staff there don't care. I found some errors that prevented me from putting in the correct book and I sent off a message, waited a week, sent off yet another and after another week, nothing so screw them.
That was over 10 years ago so who knows if the issue still exists or not.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote