Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #166
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Your first link isn't saying that it is microUSB. It's just comparing the size of the connector. And the other two are purely speculative.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #167
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
I have just two or three thoughts
Yes and you usually repeat them over and over. You often remind me of this episode.

Quote:
... think that more choice among faster iterations and more cutting edge technology is the right mix for everyone .... We will know in half year who is right.
Actually the fast iterations hurt the Android community and really hurt HTC. A lot of the android community gave feedback to the manufactures that there where way too many models per vendor on the market.

This year if you noticed all Android manufactures have slowed down and most have limited their models to around 3.

It wasn't about fast and furious development. It has always been about choice, choice in features and price.

Apple however is coming around. They've for some time have offered last years model at a discount. Now their offering the 4S for $99. And now their offering a 3.5" and 4" screen.

=X=
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #168
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I didn't know that cnet and gizmodo publish speculative fiction.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #169
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Does android have a remote app to control the music on your computer? If so which program acts as the player on the pc?
Many, but my personal favorite is:

XBMC Remote (Notice this is the OFFICIAL version, there's several more unofficial apps just for this one piece of software)

XBMC

Or, if you want a Windows Phone solution:

WMP Remote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #170
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Or at least standard micro-USB (you can do digital Audio over that as well).
Oh how I pine for a decent USB DAC that isn't 1.1, or costs an arm and a leg.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #171
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
There are all sorts of remote apps on the Play store, it's unclear what your setup is so I couldn't point you to any.

Are you asking if you can remote control your iTune account from the an Android device.

There is this, it seems to do what you're asking for.
Remote for iTunes that's just one but there are lots more.

There are also apps that control your stereo, etc....

CNet had a pretty interesting comment, usually a pro Apple site. They made a statement that they feel all vendors (Win8, Apple, Android) are on par. Each has their strength and weakness in the future it will come down to Ecosystems. I don't outright agree with them but there is some validity.

For me I'm not happy with any of them though Google's is slightly better than the rest because its the most open. Content wise it's not as good as the others. The worst is Apple because of the iTunes requirement.
Ya. Was just wondering if there was a remote to control music on pc. iTunes or otherwise. Obviously there is. And an airport express equivalent. Less clear if there is or not.

At this point until either apple really screws up or someone else comes up some compelling killer app, I don't see myself making a move. In my family we are in too deep with apple - not that I think that is a bad thing. 4 iPhones, 2 (soon to be 3) iPads, apple tv and airport express. Not to mention $100's of in apps.

Everyone (read wife) is comfortable with their gear. Any iOS updates are simple to install, same across all devices, and I know the apps will continue to work. Not sure if it is still an issue or ever really was that big of a deal, but dealing with multiple versions of android across different hardware is not that appealing.

Each to their own. Right?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #172
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
...specs alone aren’t enough anymore. It’s about the entire user experience. The package of hardware and software. The iPhone 5, paired with iOS 6, will deliver. And so has the Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean, Android 4.1, and so has the Nexus 7, and the next Nexus device will as well.

We’ve finally reached a point where the release cycles of Android hardware and software, and Apple hardware and software, aren’t as revolutionary as they once were, at least not compared to the massive updates that were mere months apart from each other in the past. They’re refinements of what are already good products. And that’s not a bad thing. It finally gives us, as consumers, a chance to catch out breaths. But it still manages to keep pushing the envelope forward.

To answer the question from the title of this post, it stacks up well. The iPhone 5 will continue to break records, continue to be a smash hit with consumers, and continue to maintain its position of power in the market place, just as it will continue to be one of the only non-Android devices on the market to keep Android manufacturers moving forward.
http://androidandme.com/2012/09/opin...are-to-android
Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #173
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post

XBMC Remote (Notice this is the OFFICIAL version, there's several more unofficial apps just for this one piece of software)

XBMC

WMP Remote
Cool. I am a pretty heavy user of xbmc for my movies. I see they have a version for iPhone as well. Will have to check it out.

But even that is starting wane. Moving more towards a Netflix and iTunes rental type model.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #174
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
A lot of the android community gave feedback to the manufactures that there where way too many models per vendor on the market.
I'm pretty sure that they also learned from watching the real life successes that Apple had with this strategy.

Good thing for them that it isn't patentable.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #175
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

XBMC

WMP Remote
aWaremote is very good, allows you to control WinAmp.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #176
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
I see they have a version for iPhone as well. Will have to check it out. .

You're supposed to be jumping inta the green monsters arms!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #177
MovieBird
TuxSlash

Quote:

You're supposed to be jumping inta the green monsters arms!
Can you at least try to read what is written? Here, I'll requote the initial request just for you:

Quote:
Does android have a remote app to control the music on your computer? If so which program acts as the player on the pc?
There was a specific request for an Android solution. That's what he got from more than one person. I even threw in a Windows solution, hardly the work of an Evangelist.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #178
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The truth is they are similar enough that you don't have to buy into one platform. We have iPads, iPods, Android tablets and Android phones in our house hold and they work fine together.

Quote:
Any iOS updates are simple to install, same across all devices,
Not the case for me, I only use Linux at home so I cannot update my iOS devices at home, meanwhile Android updates are trivial since they push over the air. The iOS devices we have are 4x so they require iTunes still.

We have all sorts of fragmentation at my household both for iOS and Android.

Quote:
that big of a deal, but dealing with multiple versions of android across different hardware is not that appealing.

Each to their own. Right?
True but that is the beauty for me. Being able to run the same app on my pone, 7" tablet and 10" is golden.

=X=
Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #179
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Keep an eye on this:

Quote:
This one caught us off guard, but Apple just announced the A6 SoC powering the new iPhone 5 features 2x faster CPU and GPU performance compared to the iPhone 4S. Apple reserves major Ax SoC number iterations for architecture changes, combine that with the performance claims as well as some other stuff we've heard offline and there's one conclusion: the iPhone 5 uses ARM Cortex A15 cores inside.
That would, perhaps, make it the first device on the market to use it in volume.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #180
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:

There was a specific request for an Android solution.
...and then he jumped for the IOS one, as I joked.
Closed Thread