Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #16
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Check your permissions.
And if you want to try fix permissions and haven't, the first page gives these instructions:
Q: I fuxed something up! How do I fix permissions without ROM Manager?

A: Boot to clockwork recovery. Go to advanced. Fix permissions.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #17
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks everyone. I did try fixing my permissions in Clockwork, and I cleared data/cache in Titanium and in my file manager. Still not working. I might have to flash back to my restore...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #18
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you wiping data with Titanium or clearing cache with NOOkcolor Tools? Check your permissions.
Where can I check permissions?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
Noah98
Eccentric

Ok, I'm really starting to wonder if all of this is worth it...

I spent hours last night and this morning trying to get Market and Google apps to work. I flashed back to my old 1.0 setup and everything was good. But, every time I do the pre-rooted method, I have the same problem. I fix permissions, wipe the data, sign in to Youtube, etc.

The result is always the same: I can accept the terms in the Market, and then it force closes, and will only restart if I wipe the data again. Of course after I accept the terms it force closes.

What I can't understand is how some people can do the pre-rooted update, and everything is fine, but I do the same exact thing, and no luck. Could it be that I'm going from 1.0 to 1.1 instead of 1.0.1 to 1.0?

Anyhow, haven't been this frustrated in a long time!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I've read that thread on XDA. You're not alone with your issues. It works for some and not others. I certainly understand your frustration (been there).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #21
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Ive had a very similiar issue that may or may not be resolved. My market has worked, but my gmail seemed to have stuck emails in it, and nothing would get them to clear. Also my youtube would continually fc and then Id uninstall/reinstall and it would work for a while. Anyway I was messing with it for a while, and went into my gmail account settings and gmail fc'ed, then I went into account settings again and the whole NC rebooted, when it rebooted, all the emails were gone and gmail seemingly acted normally, market worked yet youtube was messed up. so i uninstalled youtube, and this time around used a different address to log iinto youtube and everything seems fine. We shall see howlong this lasts. I also did a fix permissions in CWR and wiped the data in gmail in titanium. We shall see if it holds.

In anycase there should be other roms based upon this soon, so keep hope alive
I went from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #22
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe it has something to do with the AndroidID (or lack thereof) on the device.

From my post in another thread:

Quote:
Totally clueless about AVD. Googled some more. Stumbled upon a step-by-step guide to generating an AndroidID with AVD! With the settings needed provided by XDA and this guide I was successful.

Next, I used Root Explorer and SQLeditor to change the value for "AndroidID" located in the table "meta" in the database located here: /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/gls.db and BINGO Market works!
Let me know if you want the links to the info I used. Can you check and see if you have a value in that field. Don't tell us what it is.

I assume the new framework.jar file is supposed to provide the necessary information that Market looks for. In your case maybe it's not or something got corrupted along the way. It doesn't look too bad. You're able to login to YouTube. That's the main ingredient.

Last edited by SCION; 01-29-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #23
Noah98
Eccentric

I just flashed back to my 1.0 setup. I'm very grateful for Clockwork recovery.

The whole thing just doesn't make sense. For example: When I was trying to get it to work, I installed an old version of the Market and it worked. But, Google Talk and Youtube force closed. No matter what I did, I couldn't get everything working.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #24
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Ive had a very similiar issue that may or may not be resolved. My market has worked, but my gmail seemed to have stuck emails in it, and nothing would get them to clear. Also my youtube would continually fc and then Id uninstall/reinstall and it would work for a while. Anyway I was messing with it for a while, and went into my gmail account settings and gmail fc'ed, then I went into account settings again and the whole NC rebooted, when it rebooted, all the emails were gone and gmail seemingly acted normally, market worked yet youtube was messed up. so i uninstalled youtube, and this time around used a different address to log iinto youtube and everything seems fine. We shall see howlong this lasts. I also did a fix permissions in CWR and wiped the data in gmail in titanium. We shall see if it holds.

In anycase there should be other roms based upon this soon, so keep hope alive
I went from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0
Asking this for others. Do you think there will be an autonooter for 1.1.0 now that this ROM is out? Autonooter for 1.0.1 came out within hours of the update.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #25
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Theres not a lot of difference in the two versions, only that 1.1.0 seems a little bit quicker imo.

FWIW I do have an AndroidID that table. Everything is working on my end, except that gmail is still FCing on some emails from time to time.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #26
SCION
Séduisant

Yeah, I know what you mean about Google talk and other stuff not working. When I did my thing it didn't work initially, but I remembered that Talk app in the Google Apps package was no good from the jump and had to replace it with another one. Once I restored my backup with MyBackup Pro that non-working app was replaced with the working one and its data.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #27
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Asking this for others. Do you think there will be an autonooter for 1.1.0 now that this ROM is out? Autonooter for 1.0.1 came out within hours of the update.
I think so, especially if bn ships new nooks with 1.1.0 in recovery
Old 01-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #28
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Yes, see the post HERE.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #29
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
It is really quite odd that it works cleanly for some folks and not at all for others. The issues I had seem explainable, but many of the reports of recent problems do not.

Issues I encountered:

Youtube didn't work initially -- completely explainable, the zip file didn't include it. Worked fine for me when I installed one later. Did not need to sign in.

Titanium backup needed busybox -- I've had this happen when rooting my EVO, so having it install its own seemed perfectly normal at the time and was my immediate response.

LCD Density app caused boot lockup when saving changed density -- this is something the app warns about, but it had worked before. There is another report of this issue on XDA. Because it's always been a risk, I didn't really chalk it up as a major problem with 1.1 (but maybe it is).

Every so often my wifi now fails to connect after wakeup. I turn wifi off, then on and it connects. 1.1 does claim to change how wifi works. I had perfect wifi before. I am curious if those who had to set a static ip to get wifi reliable have better luck with 1.1 wifi. Since wifi success has been variable over the life of the Nook updates and differs widely between people, I just shrugged this off.

But that's it for me. No BN shop issues, market issues or gmail problems -- and I use gmail many times a day. I'm really wondering what the difference is. FWIW I started from an autonootered 1.0.1.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Every so often my wifi now fails to connect after wakeup. I turn wifi off, then on and it connects. 1.1 does claim to change how wifi works. I had perfect wifi before. I am curious if those who had to set a static ip to get wifi reliable have better luck with 1.1 wifi. Since wifi success has been variable over the life of the Nook updates and differs widely between people, I just shrugged this off.
Yep, just noticed it a few minutes ago. Had no idea my wifi was off. I had absolutely no problems with wifi prior to updating. That was one of the reasons I blew off both updates. If it's not broke don't fix it. Don't know why they struggle to get this right. Both updates claim a fix for wifi, but they break what works.

Prior to having experienced this I was keeping my device from sleeping so that wifi would remain on for notifications and other stuff I need. Absolutely no adverse effect on battery life surprisingly. When I retire for the night I enable device sleep. I use SoftLocker.