Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
hrundi
hrundi began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
special characters on prs 505

How do I get the 505 to display special characters like ć, č, š, ž etc. in rtf files? So far the only way I found is to convert the rtf to pdf, which is a hassle & I dont like the way a pdf is displayed. Is there a way to do it with Fiction Book Designer or some similar app?
hrundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrundi View Post
... I dont like the way a pdf is displayed.
If you create the pdf specifically for your liseuse, it displays nicely. Sony has a guide for doing it. There's also a thread here on the forums that covers it.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
You can convert the file to Epub with calibre and embed a font that includes those special characters.

Here is a How-to on how to embed fonts into epub.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
hrundi
hrundi began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Thanks guys.

Does anyone know if there are some settings in word that can be changed so I don't have to convert the files every time?

I usually save my ebooks as doc or docx, and I dont mind opening them and saving as rtf, but then I need to run calibre and convert the rtf again... it can be a bit tiresome.

Can it be done at all?
hrundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrundi View Post
Does anyone know if there are some settings in word that can be changed so I don't have to convert the files every time?

I usually save my ebooks as doc or docx, and I dont mind opening them and saving as rtf, but then I need to run calibre and convert the rtf again... it can be a bit tiresome.

Can it be done at all?
You can change fonts in your device so it displays all those characters right. No need to create special files.
This is what I recommend.
See this very detailed guide:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28447
See following video - 505 can display even Russian text
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRna0NtBZM
Search this forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Also, you do not need to do special conversion if you use OpenOffice.org Writer and export the document as pdf.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
You can format PDF for the Reader screen.
or
Update the fonts on your Reader (see above post).

I use Bookdesigner for conversion, in my opinion it is vastly better at it than Calibre.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote