Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-24-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
Mattoquai
Enthusiast
Mattoquai began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 8700c / Nokia N70 / Iliad
Mobile Mag's Mobile Game Top 50

Mobile magazine just came up with a mobile game top 50. It contains all sorts of mobile games, ranging from relatively new (PSP, 2005) to very old (Mattel Football, 1977). Pretty nice to see which weird kind of gaming devices were developed the past 30 years or so. I've just discovered the arcade section here at Mobileread, which I think is pretty awesome! Which one of the 50 top notch mobile games did you guys used to play?

--I admit I've owned a Tamagotchi, but I didn't buy it myself ---
Mattoquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ah that Mattel football game picture brings back memories. I used to play one of those every time I could talk someone at my grade school into letting me play with theirs. (I couldn't afford one myself.) And there was baseball, racing, etc also. In fact, I believe someone put together a really neat emulator for those old Mattel games that probably runs on both Palm and PPC.

I also played bop-it (still have one as a matter of fact, but you always have to start back at the beginning so that landed it in the closet), and simon, and electronic battleship. And have been addicted to bejeweled for a time like everyone else.

Played a version of tetris until it got annoyingly repetitious. And loved donkey kong, but it was on an old atari game box that my sister had, but that wasn't a mobile game. Still kind of wish I had one of those game boxes and the old games. Those were the good old days of Donkey Kong and Defender and Joust and all those games that were understandable, but you could play them over and over and keep getting better.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2005, 04:04 AM   #3
drc54
Enthusiast
drc54 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m515, now TX
Yes, I remember this game. It gave me an appreciation of the American Football game versus what we know as Football (soccer) outside of US and Canada. I visitted my family who were in Canada in the 70's and my brother, a football fanatic just had to buy this game.

Interesting observation though. As far as I can remember, people have simulated the game of soccer for over 50 years, known as Foosball, or Table Football. It was only with electronics that they were able to make a US Football game simulator. So I guess the game must be really difficult
drc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:17 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc54
Interesting observation though. ... It was only with electronics that they were able to make a US Football game simulator. So I guess the game must be really difficult
Actually, there have been mechanical table US football games also. They were vibrating metal sheets with a field marked on them. You turn off the vibrator to line up your little plastic players that had a felt bottom at their feet, and you could even adjust them to determine the direction they move, and you put a little felt football in one of their sets of hands. Then turn on the vibrator until a logjam occurs and the player stops moving. Or was it when he was touched by the defense?
At any rate it was actually kind of fun!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Space Trader - STILL one of my favorite games on Palm and Pocket PC!

Looking at the screenshots, I can still remember how I played Frogger, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Mortal Combat.

Mattoquai, may I ask what happened to your plastic pet?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
Mattoquai
Enthusiast
Mattoquai began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 8700c / Nokia N70 / Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunstan
Mattoquai, may I ask what happened to your plastic pet?
LOL , I think it eventually ran out of batteries and died tragically.... (wow, I just used 2 totally opposite emoticons in one sentence )

Originally the plastic pet was a business gift my father got during some conference. I should ask him what the theme of that conference was . Maybe it was a managementcourse on 'keeping your employees satisfied by making sure they feed and sleep in time'.

Anyway, I was more the tetris-kind-of-guy. BTW, did any of you guys trie GEOcaching? I noticed that recently it is becoming much more popular here in the Netherlands. There are some nice quests in which you can participate, I did it once and we found a whole bunch of teaspoons in strange places. Now isn't that a great way of spending your time!
Mattoquai is offline   Reply With Quote