Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
jstangroome
jstangroome began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Desktop icon

Hi,

Please default the desktop shortcut option to unselected during the standard Calibre for Windows install.

Here is an excerpt from the Windows User Experience Interaction Guidelines:

"If you do only one thing...
Don't abuse the desktop—keep users in control. If your target users are likely to use your program frequently, provide an option during setup to put a shortcut on the desktop, unselected by default."
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...spx#guidelines

Regards,

Jason
jstangroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstangroome View Post
Hi,

Please default the desktop shortcut option to unselected during the standard Calibre for Windows install.

Here is an excerpt from the Windows User Experience Interaction Guidelines:

"If you do only one thing...
Don't abuse the desktop—keep users in control. If your target users are likely to use your program frequently, provide an option during setup to put a shortcut on the desktop, unselected by default."
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...spx#guidelines

Regards,

Jason
I agree
I happen to USE the Icon, but it should Ask (and better, follow what already exists if an upgrade. If I HAVE an standard shortcut, put it back.)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
/agree

This is a relative of what I discussed over in that thread about the really bad affiliate-commission-harvesting website, about why users get so ticked by opt-out subscriptions to marketing emails and the like. People like to feel in control. People don't like to have someone, or worse yet some code, decide what's best for them or how they should do it. And a lot of people -- me being one of them -- see their computer desktop as a very personal space. Having some installer go slap icons up on there is like having someone come into your private office and hang pictures on your walls.

Adobe does this too, and it pisses me off. No, I do not want my start menu structure disrupted by a link to Adobe Reader 9 slapped in between my carefully organized program groups. No, I do not want an icon for it on my desktop. Adobe doesn't even ask -- it just does that during patches, so every time they patch, I have to go hunt these things down and dispose of them. Apparently they think of it as a form of marketing: they want to push their name and logo into my face as often as possible. "Dear Adobe: this is not working. I hate you for it. Sincerely yours, WW." But that's Adobe for you. We expect better from calibre.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Putting a default icon on the desktop is not going to change. And its not because its a marketing tactic. What would be the point of marketing calibre (or indeed an adobe product) to someone who has already installed it?

The reason for installing a desktop shortcut is simple: Lots of users can't find a program in the start menu after it has been installed. If they don't see it on their desktop, they can't ever find it again. I learned this the hard way, by originally having the desktop icon be opt in.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I moved it to my task bar long ago. Now, it just takes a minute to delete it from the desktop once I upgrade.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I never open programs from the desk top (except, on occasion, after first installing). I use the start menu (it's not THAT complicated if I can use it) or the quick launch menu. If an installer puts one on the desktop I either delete it, drag it to the trash, or, if it's one I'll use frequently, I'll add to the quick launch menu first (like I did with calibre). Even though I would prefer a choice, it's just not that big a deal.

The analogy I picture, instead of someone coming into your private office and hanging pictures on your walls (that would be rude!), is more like you inviting someone to come into your office and, on the way out, they drop a business card on your desk. After all, you installed the original program and, especially if you use a good firewall, you can determine when and if the program installs updates.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
...And its not because its a marketing tactic. What would be the point of marketing calibre (or indeed an adobe product) to someone who has already installed it?...
I so agree yet TV and Radio stations do it all the time. You're watching or listening to their station yet they have to advertise themselves to you. Puh-lease!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote