Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
swalker2001
swalker2001 began at the beginning.

Device: many
Blank PDF from epub--Windows 7

I have a DRM-free epub purchased from Kobo and I want to convert it to a pdf so I can copy sample code and paste into config files on my computer. When I do the conversion, the resulting pdf has the cover plus 204 blank pages.

I'm not exactly a newbie to ebooks and calibre, and I have searched and found various problems on certain platforms that can cause this problem (specifically OS X) but haven't seen anything about this on Windows 7. I converted another book I had in epub format and it converted just fine.

Perhaps there is a setting that might help?

Using calibre 0.8.47.

Thanks,
Steve
swalker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's a weird reason to want to conver tto pDF. Why dont you copy paste from the epub itself?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
swalker2001
swalker2001 began at the beginning.

Device: many
Because I can't copy/paste out of the Kobo reader, so rather than downloading a generic ePub reader I thought making a simple pdf would be easiest. I went ahead and downloaded DigitaEditions on this computer so I could use that.

But my curiosity still wonders why I can't save this book in pdf format...
swalker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You do know that calibre can view epub, right?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker2001 View Post
Because I can't copy/paste out of the Kobo reader, so rather than downloading a generic ePub reader I thought making a simple pdf would be easiest. I went ahead and downloaded DigitaEditions on this computer so I could use that.

But my curiosity still wonders why I can't save this book in pdf format...
That book might have Kobo's proprietary version of EPUB if you bought it from the Kobo site.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
maiki
maiki began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That book might have Kobo's proprietary version of EPUB if you bought it from the Kobo site.
Kobo does not have a proprietary version of EPUB. They sell books in completely standard Epub format, which will read well on any Epub reader, including that of Calibre.

I had the same problem though, in trying to convert one to PDF with Calibre. Just the cover followed by empty pages (in the resulting PDF).
maiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki View Post
Kobo does not have a proprietary version of EPUB. They sell books in completely standard Epub format, which will read well on any Epub reader, including that of Calibre.

I had the same problem though, in trying to convert one to PDF with Calibre. Just the cover followed by empty pages (in the resulting PDF).
Actually, Kobo does have a proprietary version of ePub. It is commonly called a "kepub". If you look at one of these on Kobo Touch ereader, it will be listed with the type "KOBO EPUB" and the file extension is "kepub" under Windows. These cannot be handled by calibre. As the OP here was originally reading the book in the Kobo desktop application, the format being used was definitely a kepub.

From a little looking at kepub's, some are just ePubs, but most have the text sections encrypted. They also seem to have some code which I assume is Javascript. I suspect that if you changed the extension of a a kepub to epub and tried a conversion in calibre, you would see the results described here and in your thread.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote