Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #46
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Help!

I tried changing the files and got the same problem as eminarcissus #36 above.

Now I'm stuck with a bricked PRS-T1. After I rebooted it will get to the "opening book" stage and stay stuck there.

I'm trying the sdrecovery pack but it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #47
icnc
icnc began at the beginning.

Device: sony t1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by entodoays View Post
Help!

I tried changing the files and got the same problem as eminarcissus #36 above.

Now I'm stuck with a bricked PRS-T1. After I rebooted it will get to the "opening book" stage and stay stuck there.

I'm trying the sdrecovery pack but it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?
take out the SDcard and flash again!
I meet the case ,updated firmware (1.0.0.4)
icnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #48
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

It is not working. I folloxed the procedure but when the opening book line arrives at the end the orange light does not blink at all. There's no more activity and after 15 minutes or so, it "reboots" and I get the "opening book" prompt again until it gets till the end and then nothing happens.
My firmware is the 1.0.03.
I tried flashing the Sony update 1.0.04. This time the orange light did flash but kept flashing forever.
Should I try the restore set?

EDIT: Problem solved. The recovery instructions in the wiki were not so accurate. In my case I had to press the home and menu buttons BEFORE I turned on by pressing the power button. I modified the wiki accordingly.

Last edited by entodoays; 02-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #49
eminarcissus
eminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1
When replacing files, get into recovery mode and get it connected to pc with putty or securecrt, delete apks not necessarily needed(phone.apk,teleprovider.apk,demo.apk etc to release some space at first),then replace files, boot, everything just works pretty well. I did bricked my device at first either.

P.S. I recovered my device using sdrescue method just as the wiki said without problem.
eminarcissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #50
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Just a note on an alternative route I have in mind

As far as I understand, there is a threshold for all screen updates that determines if a full refresh will be done. You can test this with Terminal + AnySoft Keyboard for instance.

With default keyboard height, scrolling output in terminal window will not cause screen reflash.

But if you decrease keyboard height such that terminal window grows, there will be lots of screen reflash.

I'd love to find a way to alter that threshold. On the Nook, this seems easy:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161705

Digging into Nook firmware really seems to be worth a try!

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Sof...uch/379003175/

They provide a lot more stuff than Sony like optimized EPD waveforms, bigger recovery image (1.5MB) etc.

But the Nook seems to be based on some TI OMAP board, not Freescale i.MX508 like the T1... It's an ERD79 Android image...

So the question is, which drivers / modules are compatible and which ones will brick the T1....
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #51
entodoays
Zealot

How do you enter recovery mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminarcissus View Post
When replacing files, get into recovery mode and get it connected to pc with putty or securecrt, delete apks not necessarily needed(phone.apk,teleprovider.apk,demo.apk etc to release some space at first),then replace files, boot, everything just works pretty well. I did bricked my device at first either.

P.S. I recovered my device using sdrescue method just as the wiki said without problem.
I tried going to the @test mode application and choose reboot(recovery) but it never booted. It kept flashing orange and that's it.

i never used putty. Is it too much to ask for detailed set by step instructions?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #52
eminarcissus
eminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by entodoays View Post
I tried going to the @test mode application and choose reboot(recovery) but it never booted. It kept flashing orange and that's it.

i never used putty. Is it too much to ask for detailed set by step instructions?
Is pretty simple.
get your device into recovery mode, it will not boot but screen stop at loading your books, then plug your device into your pc via usb, if will pop up screen ask you to install drivers. choose the drive folder(minimal-root folder used when root your device,check if it has gserial.inf in it)
after setup, open control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> COM port, it will show you which serial port it allocate for your device( my one is COM3)
Then open putty,then you will see(raw,telnet,ssh,serial etc), click serial, and then type your COM port into serial line,click open. if it connected, you can press enter and should get a notice asking your username(root), then, you can do whatever you want.

I will write a detailed instruction later. But you still could try it first.
eminarcissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #53
entodoays
Zealot

Is there a way to do it through Linux? I'm using Ubuntu as my primary operating system.
Isn't it possible to do this through adb?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #54
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

adb-daemon is not running in recovery mode on the t1. but it should be possible to access recovery console from linux! it is a simple serial tty connection! you just have to get the usb-serial-gadget-driver for the t1 running, know its virtual com port and open a telnet session...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #55
entodoays
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
adb-daemon is not running in recovery mode on the t1. but it should be possible to access recovery console from linux! it is a simple serial tty connection! you just have to get the usb-serial-gadget-driver for the t1 running, know its virtual com port and open a telnet session...
I'm not familiar with telnet and don't have much time to dedicate to this. I'll wait until more detailed instructions are available.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #56
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony PRS-T1
you can use putty in linux just like in windows... just connect to the proper serial port (see dmesg | grep tty)
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #57
uboot
Evangelist

New food:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...k-touch-video/

According to XDA, it is the same 1-bit black&white trick as on the T1:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4#post22800284
Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #58
entodoays
Zealot

This Nook apk seems to toggle the mode instead of having two different apps to enable/disable the no refresh mode. Furthermore they use gestures to activate the app. This would be a good improvement for the PRS-T1 no refresh apk.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #59
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hberntsen View Post
@MisterNo
I made a new version of the norefreshenabler app from post #16. After you install it, you get 2 apps, one to enable the no-refresh mode and another to restore the default. There is no close button anymore, it closes itself automatically. I tried closing the app immediately but when I do that the screen mode does not change, i added a timer with a 2 second duration and that works on my reader. Let me know if that time is not enough.

@entodoays
As far as I know there is no way to get the current updatemode of the screen, which is required to create a toggle app.

It might be possible to use the code of the webbrowser and implement it into the android framework. Unfortunately, I don't have time for that at the moment. Holding a button to switch modes would be nice indeed. I know you can launch an app by holding the search button, do you know if you can do this with other buttons?

I tried setting the mode to 3 in my app, I did that in the Iconizedlistview.zip in one of my posts earlier in this thread. Updatemode 3 just sets the updatemode of the listview and not the whole screen so that does not work.
Thank you so much for this! It works perfectly !
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #60
uboot
Evangelist

Hi folks,

i just adapted the minimal rupor package from http://translate.google.com/translat...02%26start%3D0 and created a flash package that updates framework.jar and framework.odex to make the Android list view use fast refresh:

https://dev.mobileread.com/dist/uboo...iew-1.0.04.zip

The zip file contains also an undo package.

I named it 1.0.04 because I am not sure if it works with other firmwares than 1.0.04...

Use it at your own risk!

Compared to the global no-refresh mode, it is a bit slower. But the big benefit is that you do not have to switch back and forth between no-refresh and default refresh...