cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Amazon Kindle now $189

I just received this press release from Amazon:

AMAZON KINDLE NOW ONLY $189
Still with free 3G wireless--no monthly fees or annual contracts

SEATTLE, Jun 21, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) --Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) today announced that Amazon Kindle, the best e-reader on the market (see this recent press release from the world's leading consumer reporting organization--http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/2010/06/amazons-kindle-tops-cr-ebook-reader-ratings.html), is now only $189, down from $259. Kindle is the 3G wireless portable reader that allows you to think of a book and be reading in 60 seconds, from wherever you happen to be. Easy to read even in bright sunlight, the 10.2 ounce Kindle is light enough for one-handed reading. Even though it's a 3G wireless device, Kindle has no monthly fees or annual contracts. The Kindle Store includes over 600,000 books and the largest selection of the most popular books people want to read, including 109 of 112 New York Times Bestsellers and New Releases from $9.99. In addition, over 1.8 million free, out-of-copyright, pre-1923 books are available to read on Kindle. Since its release, Kindle has been the #1 bestselling product across the millions of items sold on Amazon. Kindle is in stock and available for immediate shipment at the new lower price of $189.

Learn more at www.amazon.com/kindle.
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
pat.indie
Enthusiast
pat.indie is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, enTourage eDGe, 10" ASUS Netbook
Unhappy

Great. Now I feel stupid for having spent $70 more a little over a month ago.

Et tu, Brute?
pat.indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Can never predict the future
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hell, I paid $349 several years ago and don't feel cheated in the least.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
pat.indie
Enthusiast

Seems like the price was inflated from the beginning, if Amazon could take off $70 in a flash..

And I thought Amazon was customer oriented. May be they are, but they will also overcharge you when they can...

Last edited by pat.indie; 06-21-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
pat.indie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hell, I paid $349 several years ago and don't feel cheated in the least.
At least you had several years to enjoy your overpriced gadget...
Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
CeNoBiTa
CeNoBiTa began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
Great. Now I feel stupid for having spent $70 more a little over a month ago.

Et tu, Brute?
Same here...
CeNoBiTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
Bought mine last week. I'm returning it and re-purchasing.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
GreenThumb
GreenThumb began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfedelem View Post
Bought mine last week. I'm returning it and re-purchasing.
If you bought it from Amazon (and not Target), you can call them, and they will refund the $70, because you bought it less than 30 days ago. I did this the last time they dropped the price.
GreenThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
If you bought it from Amazon (and not Target), you can call them, and they will refund the $70, because you bought it less than 30 days ago. I did this the last time they dropped the price.
You got lucky. Current Amazon policy is if your item has already shipped they won't give you a discount if the price drops later. If you email cs about a price adjustment, they'll send you a reply that looks something like "the price you payed was the cheapest we could offer at the time... sorry". Even if you try to argue "I can still return and re-buy it" they'll reply "ok, fill out the return form". You may get lucky and get a cs rep that will price adjust for you, but the last few times I've tried I was shot down every time. And if you return an item because of a price adjustment you have to pay for your own shipping (not a big deal since the price difference is $70 here, but it's kept me from returning when the price difference was a few bucks).
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
You got lucky. Current Amazon policy is if your item has already shipped they won't give you a discount if the price drops later. If you email cs about a price adjustment, they'll send you a reply that looks something like "the price you payed was the cheapest we could offer at the time... sorry". Even if you try to argue "I can still return and re-buy it" they'll reply "ok, fill out the return form". You may get lucky and get a cs rep that will price adjust for you, but the last few times I've tried I was shot down every time. And if you return an item because of a price adjustment you have to pay for your own shipping (not a big deal since the price difference is $70 here, but it's kept me from returning when the price difference was a few bucks).
First time I've heard anything like this. Call CS don't email. People are already reporting instant refunds when calling in. But you have to be in the 30 day window.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
First time I've heard anything like this. Call CS don't email. People are already reporting instant refunds when calling in. But you have to be in the 30 day window.
They may treat kindles differently, I don't know. But the last few times I tried asking for a price adjustment on other items I always got the same polite no response.

It's nice to see the K2 drop. There is a lot of competition in the 6" ereader market.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Yeti
Yeti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Bugger! (That's Australian for Not Happy )
Bought mine May 17th, guess I just missed out. Never mind, I will continue to enjoy it just as much. That's the annoying thing about buying electronics these days; you're almost guaranteed that something cheaper and probably better will be available within a few months of your purchase.

Yeti.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
So, those lucky folks who recently bought a Kindle 2 ... by all means claim your credit. Amazon has an exceedingly good track record on stuff like that.

I bought mine in Nov 2009 and have had at least $70 use from it.

Assuming this makes longer term business sense for Amazon, I'm delighted. I wonder what sorts of goodies they plan for Kindle 3 later this summer?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
RevRick
unreconstructed cynic
RevRick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, PC
Can you say Kobo? Wired called it -- at $149 -- the real Kindle Killer. Given the Kindle's advantages technologically (chiefly, free on-board wireless), I'd say the $189 is priced very well.
RevRick is offline   Reply With Quote