Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #31
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Dragoro, your screen is the best I have seen on MR! Congratulations!!
My screen is about the same as his. (I eventually got one from another BB later last night)

Two of the things I noticed fairly quickly were the color temperature of the screen, and the style of the lighting. The Paperwhite is a warmer color than the Nook STG that I'm also playing with. This actually makes a noticeable difference at night with eye strain. The style of the lighting is different as well, but harder to quantify. Instead of looking like the page is lit, it looks like the page itself glows.

Is it perfect? No. As Picard says, there are four lights. This means that there are darker patches at the bottom of the screen. The flip side is that the Nook STG uses 8 lights, and winds up over-lighting the part of the page where the LEDs are, and that is more noticeable in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
Looks blobby to me in the lower left, or am I imagining it?
Mostly looks like the dark patches left by the LEDs at the bottom to me.

Despite being a Sony guy since the 1st gen Kindle, I might return to the fold with this one.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #32
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The flip side is that the Nook STG uses 8 lights, and winds up over-lighting the part of the page where the LEDs are, and that is more noticeable in practice.
Well, I'm sad to say, I can't say the same with my unit. I just returned a few hours ago from BestBuy where I bought a Paperwhite. The lower part of my screen and especially the lower center of the screen has a large pronounced gray blotch, much more so than with anything on my Nook STG. The Kindle is brighter, whiter, more contrast but even so with the blotchy screen, the Nook is far less distracting to read with.

I realize not everybody is experiencing the same problems, but for me this is looking very much like a return and I'm not sure I want to take the gamble on another one.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #33
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Just wait for the Kobo Glo, fbr... just be patient. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Well, I'm sad to say, I can't say the same with my unit. I just returned a few hours ago from BestBuy where I bought a Paperwhite. The lower part of my screen and especially the lower center of the screen has a large pronounced gray blotch, much more so than with anything on my Nook STG. The Kindle is brighter, whiter, more contrast but even so with the blotchy screen, the Nook is far less distracting to read with.

I realize not everybody is experiencing the same problems, but for me this is looking very much like a return and I'm not sure I want to take the gamble on another one.
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #34
froggie731
Enthusiast
froggie731 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

I'm noticing a pinkish splotch that runs somewhat evenly from left to right across the center of mine. I'm deciding if I should return it and take a gamble on another as well.

I'm pretty much always a night reader so I'll see how it goes tonight and if it's distracting. We'll see!
froggie731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #35
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Just wait for the Kobo Glo, fbr... just be patient. . .
Ya, I think that's probably the direction I'm headed ..again

Quote:
I'm pretty much always a night reader so I'll see how it goes tonight and if it's distracting. We'll see!
My thoughts exactly
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #36
shadeauxtoo
shadeauxtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I was able to buy a Paperwhite at Best Buy this morning. I called first and was told they didn't have any despite Best Buy's website showing them in stock. I decided to drop by the store anyway; they didn't have any on the shelf, but when I asked, the guy in customer service said wait a minutes & came back with one.

I was really nervous to turn it on the first time; dreading the rainbow of colors others have on theirs. I'm happy to say mine is almost perfect! Slight shadowing at the bottom when the light is turned all the way up, but other than that so far it's great. I haven't had a chance to read more than a couple pages, but if the screen stays the way it is now, it's a keeper. I'm still trying to figure out which font is the closest to the one I'm used to on my Touch. I need to stop comparing the two and just read!

My only complaint so far is the way they've buried the wifi on/off option. A very minor issue that I'm sure I'll get used to quickly.

Thanks to the original poster for starting this thread or I'd never have known Best Buy got the Paperwhites in stock.
shadeauxtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
One quick way to test your PW is to take it in a dark room. This seems to be where the blobs are most noticeable Of course this will only matter if you plan to read in the low lighting.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #38
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
deleted..
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #39
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I at least like how you can fiddle with some of the demo units at Best Buy.

And, at the least they are labeled properly. Can't enjoy either luxury at some other retailers, especially Wal-Mart...
I almost missed this. Now that's pitiful.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #40
ChuckChic
ChuckChic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I'm sorry about your hubby. I hope he feels better soon. I may pick one up at Best Buy and see if it's better than the one I have now. I doubt it will be, but it can't hurt to try. I can't seem to give up on this thing. Plus I still have time left to return my replacement for a refund to Amazon.
hmmm.. just my 2 cents! Aren't you paying a extra few dollars when you purchase from local bestbuy in the form of taxes? I paid 217 and some cents for my KFHD from BB. I didn't realize that it would only cost me EXACTLY 199 had I purchased from amazon.com online.

An extra 17 bucks that I could have spent on apps, books etc.

I believe only people in CA have to pay taxes to Amazon, everybody else save a bunch! Especially, if I buy something high ticket, I always go to amazon because of this 'tax break'!

I believe I saved nearly $100 when I bought a plasma TV on amazon last , purely on taxes

Thoughts?
Chuck
ChuckChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #41
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I shopped at Amazon all the time as well because its cheaper with no sales tax. Since I'm one of those in California, I shop locally more for the instant gratification.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #42
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
Well, i was in a Best Buy this morning and they had a few in stock. I grabbed one knowing full well the issues people have been having. But I figured I'd play with it for a bit and see what I thought.

Gotta say, I love it. I think it's actually perfect in the 3 possible reading situations I operate in, though it needs adjusting for each. Brightly-lit room and the PW on full blast, it works great. Regularly-lit room (which for me is no artificial light sources but enough natural light to read by) and I shut the PW down to 0 (as 0 as it gets) and again, perfect. Reads just like my old K3. And then when it's dark I put the light on a touch and again it's an ideal solution. I see the shadows on the bottom, and not everything is perfectly uniform, but for the few times I ever read in the dark it will work fine. Better I think than the clip on lights.

So for me, I'm really happy with it. As I say, it's like it adapts well for each situation I would use it for. 3 readers in one. And add in the new (to me) bits like touch screen, cover view, time to read, the absolutely awesome texture of the screen itself, etc, and I think it's a damn-good reader. I imagine the tech will just keep getting better, but I feel like this one offers the best ereader experience i've had so far.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #43
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckChic View Post
hmmm.. just my 2 cents! Aren't you paying a extra few dollars when you purchase from local bestbuy in the form of taxes? I paid 217 and some cents for my KFHD from BB. I didn't realize that it would only cost me EXACTLY 199 had I purchased from amazon.com online.

An extra 17 bucks that I could have spent on apps, books etc.

I believe only people in CA have to pay taxes to Amazon, everybody else save a bunch! Especially, if I buy something high ticket, I always go to amazon because of this 'tax break'!

I believe I saved nearly $100 when I bought a plasma TV on amazon last , purely on taxes

Thoughts?
Chuck
Actually, Amazon charges sales tax in NY state too, which is where I am. That's great that you're able to save so much money on Amazon not being charged tax. I wish that was the case for all of us.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #44
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
They only had wireless, no 3g but thought you guys might wanna know
Thx. Headed to Best Buy in the morning .. in bed now and probably not be able to sleep
now. Sheesh. Thanks a lot. :-)
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #45
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Actually, Amazon charges sales tax in NY state too, which is where I am. That's great that you're able to save so much money on Amazon not being charged tax. I wish that was the case for all of us.
Amazon is based in WA, so sales tax either way here as well.

Quote:
Ya, I think that's probably the direction I'm headed ..again
The more I see, the more it looks like the light guide is closer to the Nook than the Kindle. And not a fan of the harsher blue white. I'll have to play with one in store though. It still has the higher res panel at least.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote