Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
miz sue
miz sue began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Collections and Sorting

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and hope I'm in the right area to post - if not, I do apologize in advance

I have the Sony PRS650. When I upgraded my computer, I tried to download the Sony software for its library. Trouble abounded when it didn't like the files on my reader. I had looked at Calibre previously as a method of updating metadata. At this point, I upgraded the version of Calibre and have been loving it. I'm now using it to update the properties of my ebooks and uploading to my reader.

Ultimately when I store my ebooks on my laptop, I have separate folders for each author (LN, FN). Each file is named: LN, FN - Title. If I have any series name, it is included in the title.

So my first problem is how to organize the author & author sort fields so the output will read: LN, FN - Title. Currently Author(s) is FN LN and Author Sort is LN, FN.

My 2nd problem is that the column for Collections remains unpopulated. I manually go in and type the author name (FN LN) for the collection. Unfortunately when I upload it to my device, the collection field remains empty and I have to re-enter it again.

How do I make these two changes and where do I make the changes? I would be so happy if anyone can help. Thank you
miz sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by miz sue View Post
So my first problem is how to organize the author & author sort fields so the output will read: LN, FN - Title. Currently Author(s) is FN LN and Author Sort is LN, FN.
It's unclear where this "output" is on your laptop that you want to change. You can't change the way calibre stores files in its own library. If you just want to change the filename used when an ebook is exported from calibre with Save to Disk, you do that in Preferences Import/Export Saving to Disk

Quote:
My 2nd problem is that the column for Collections remains unpopulated. I manually go in and type the author name (FN LN) for the collection. Unfortunately when I upload it to my device, the collection field remains empty and I have to re-enter it again.
I'll let someone who knows about the Sony provide this answer.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
miz sue

Hi Starson 17! Thanks for responding : )

I checked the Save to disk option and the Save Template currently reads: {author_sort)/{authors}. When I check the output on my laptop, I get a folder with the author name. Within that folder is another named Title. Within the Title folder, the file is name: Title - Author. How can I change Calibre so the output reads: Author LN, FN - Title?

Thanks!
Sue
Old 10-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

I checked the Save to disk option and the Save Template currently reads: {author_sort)/{authors}. When I check the output on my laptop, I get a folder with the author name. Within that folder is another named Title. Within the Title folder, the file is name: Title - Author. How can I change Calibre so the output reads: Author LN, FN - Title?

Thanks!
Sue
Sue
Substitute the Word 'Export' when you think about the Save to Disk button.

There is No 'Save' needed to store book within the (um-modifiable) Calibre Library folders.

'Save' applies to external (to the Library folder) devices ONLY.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:

Thanks!
Sue
Read what I said, read what theducks said, then try to tell us what you are referring to with "the output on my laptop." We suspect you are referring to the calibre library, and that can't be changed. If you want to export from the library, you can control that to be any foldername or filename you want.

To put this another way, "Save to disk option and the Save Template" do not control the way the calibre library stores its books. You can't change that. What you can do is export with any name you want.

Last edited by Starson17; 10-14-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
GMRabelink
GMRabelink began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Quote:

Hi Miz Sue,

You can organize your collections in Calibre by editing the Metadata of your book.
In the 'Edit Metadata' screen is a field/box 'Series'. In this box you can type a collection/series name. You can use anything/format you want; Calibre will then create that series.
There is also a field/box 'Number'. You can use this to number the books in your series. In Calibre, the number will show up in [], behind the Series name.
Calibre will send the collection info to your PRS650. You won't have to create collections manually on your reader anymore.

Did you also know you can change the order of colums on your Calibre screen? Go to 'Preferences' - 'Add your own colums'. Check the colums you want to see; uncheck the ones you don't want to see.
Select a colum and use the green up-and-down-arrows to arrange the order of the colums. Using this, you can customize your screen...

Last week, I've spend some time tweaking my Calibre settings and, thanks to a few helpful forum-members, I succeeded in showing title, author, series en series-index-number with every book.
No matter how/from where I look at a book on my device ('All books', or by collections, no matter how the list is sorted), now I always have all the information in one quick look. Very handy to know which book is the next to read in a series!

You'll have to modify some settings in Calibre (via Preferences) to get this to work. Everytime you then hook up your device to your computer, Calibre will automaticaly update your device. Works like a charm; even with books/collections allready on your device!
If you want, I can provide my settings/instructions. Give me some time though; I'll need to translate my notes into English...

Thanks to Jackie_w and dwanthny for their help, here an attachment with the needed settings in Calibre.
Please let me know if/when the attachment doesn't work.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: doc How to show extended metadata.doc (523.5 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by GMRabelink; 10-14-2011 at 05:46 PM.
GMRabelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
miz sue

Thanks Theducks and Starson17 - I'm definitely talking about the files on my laptop vs to those within the Calibre library. I'm happy with the Calibre library setup but I actually store my files outside the library. I'll look up the Export option more thoroughly - thanks for mentioning it.

GMRabelink - thank you for the detailed description. I'm going to print it out now and start looking it over.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your assistance and feedback : ))
Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I'm definitely talking about the files on my laptop vs to those within the Calibre library.
Excellent. That clears up that confusion. If you need help setting the regex for saving books to disk, just post here and someone will help.