Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
EDUPUB

Does somebody know something about EDUPUB? I've tried to google for it but couldn't find so much information about it so it's still a bit mystery what it is and how it works. There has been some seminars about it and some PDF files from those seminars are available but those doesn't give so much information without the speech of the presenter.

I understood that the EDUPUB specification is still unfinished. This presentation PDF file should give some answers but I still don't understand how EDUPUB is different from EPUB3. I understood it uses EPUB3 standard but there are something more built around it.

Please share if you know what is EDUPUB and how it works. Also share your comments and thoughts will EDUPUB be used in the future or is it another useless standard being built.
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The EDUPUB format/initiative comes from the IDPF educational community. Its purpose is to adapt the functionality of the ePUB3 tailored for educational publishing.
An EDUPUB would be a valide ePUB3, but not vice versa.

Personally I would rather have them working on have the ePUB3 format improved before creating these kind of things. Most of the bad things are there because of Apple (and some others) and this one seems to be driven (at least partially) by O'Reily.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
As it says in the slide:
Quote:
EPUB Widgets 1.0
‣ Video and Audio

‣ Popup

‣ Image gallery

‣ Multiple choice or true/false quiz

‣ Text resizer

‣ Scrolling sidebar
That pretty much sums up the functionality of this format. From what I've seen those EPUBs usually contain Javascript files for interactivity, as Toxaris mentioned, those would probably work best on the iPad.
This page: http://www.infogridpacific.com/blog/...the-world.html
Is a great example of an Educational EPUB.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edupub, epub, epub3