Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #46
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Overdrive Media Console sounds interesting. How is it better than just playing audiobooks using the media player?

Has anyone found a text-to-speech facility? I know that was covered in another thread, but it seems to apply here.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #47
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
I think the main draw of the media console is that many libraries offer ebooks and audiobooks for free for rent. The console lets you open these files without connecting to a pc first and opening them there(necessary due to drm, though I'm not sure what kind of drm their audiobooks use and whether you can ever open them in the media player on the edge).
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #48
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
I was asking because I like to listen to audiobooks ripped to .MP3 format, but the usual media players don't keep track of what chapter/file you left off on, and want to "shuffle" every .mp3 on your device together, even the books, which is pretty irritating when you only want to hear music.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #49
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
I think the main draw of the media console is that many libraries offer ebooks and audiobooks for free for rent. The console lets you open these files without connecting to a pc first and opening them there(necessary due to drm, though I'm not sure what kind of drm their audiobooks use and whether you can ever open them in the media player on the edge).
The Overdrive libraries use Adobe DRM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #50
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
The Overdrive libraries use Adobe DRM.
Even for the MP3's? I know about the ebooks, but I haven't really used their audiobook offerings, I didn't think adobe did audio drm...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #51
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
Even for the MP3's? I know about the ebooks, but I haven't really used their audiobook offerings, I didn't think adobe did audio drm...
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I downloaded a couple of audiobooks from my school library using Overdrive Media and they can be seen in the Overdive folder using ES File Explorer. They show up as .mp3. In fact, when I touched one of the files it opened up in the Edge's default audio player. Not sure if this is not just an exception rather than the rule. My guess is any audio delivered with DRM is probably a .wav file.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #52
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I download audio from overdrive all the time (had no idea it did print until this thread), I always get them in ipod format, but they are available in wav and mp3 with DRM also, although the DRM is much easier to get around.
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #53
Drema
Drema began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge x2
Smile

Quote:
The new version from Overdrive works on the Edge.

Drema: I'm assuming you have a connection because you said you can download from Amazon. Have you tried to access any other websites using the default browser?

Next, open the default browser and trying clearing cache and history data. After opening the browser, press Menu and select Settings. Under privacy setting Clear Cache and Clear History. Ensure Accept Cookies is checked and Enable JavScript. If you select Website Settings you can select individual websites and Clear Stored Data.

After everything is cleared, give it another shot and see what happens.
I copied the files from my PE to my laptop and then copied Overdrive to my daughter's PE. Now it works. I tried your tips in case it would help with a couple game Als that didn't install. No luck there.
Drema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #54
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drema View Post
I copied the files from my PE to my laptop and then copied Overdrive to my daughter's PE. Now it works. I tried your tips in case it would help with a couple game Als that didn't install. No luck there.
Glad to hear you got Overdrive working. As far as program installs go, some programs will not install because the Edge does not support install to an SD card. Even the internal memory is treated as an SD card. The problem with the installation has nothing to do with the eDGe's capabilities but is related to the sdcard problem. Many programs will try to automatically install to the sdcard, but it can't which is why you will often see App failed to install. There are workarounds that can be found on this forum but they involve rooting the Edge.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #55
breezeman
breezeman began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
thanks for all the info. are they making these anymore?. i know the store closed and tried emailing them for help and it came back as not a good address. I think they may have went out of business
breezeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #56
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeman View Post
thanks for all the info. are they making these anymore?. i know the store closed and tried emailing them for help and it came back as not a good address. I think they may have went out of business
Your welcome. Unfortunately, Entourage decided to call it quits with the Edge. However, in some ways this may be good news for consumers who can now pick one either the full size Edge or Pocket Edge at a bargain price. The users on this forum are incredibly helpful when it comes to any questions you may have. Plus, Entourage still has the Support pages up on their website and they are very useful (http://www.entourageedge.com/support/).

Last edited by obsessed2; 07-01-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #57
Drema
Drema began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge x2
still scratching my head

Quote:
Glad to hear you got Overdrive working. As far as program installs go, some programs will not install because the Edge does not support install to an SD card. Even the internal memory is treated as an SD card. The problem with the installation has nothing to do with the eDGe's capabilities but is related to the sdcard problem. Many programs will try to automatically install to the sdcard, but it can't which is why you will often see App failed to install. There are workarounds that can be found on this forum but they involve rooting the Edge.
It's strange that I was able to load Angry Bird Seasons on my PE but it won't load on my daughters. I don't care for it personally, no need to play the game! Angry Birds did install on hers and I was able to use the info from her to turn off the background so it will play well for her. She has enough to keep her busy without another version of the game, but she doesn't think so. Maybe I'll explore the rooting process later. Thanks for all the info!
Drema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #58
obsessed2
Wizard

Cool. How do you turn the background off?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #59
westparker
westparker began at the beginning.

I have just found this forum and thank all of you for the information you have assembled here. I have a PE running Dingo and have just downloaded the ermine upgrade. My PE yesterday decided to stop running applications. First the email app reported that the process stopped, them I noticed that I did not have a Wifi connection. When I tried to restart the Wifi, the PE told me it cuouldn't scan any more. I will let you know how the update works out.
westparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #60
westparker
westparker began at the beginning.

Where can I find or where can I recover or re-regiser my PE.
I have not been able to get my email and password to work (and this was before the company shut down).
westparker is offline   Reply With Quote