Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
Looking for a laptop/mini

Hello,
I'm starting school next month and need to acquire a laptop/netbook before then, but I'm at a bit of a loss for what I should get.
It needs to have a keyboard and screen of a decent enough size to type proficiently with, it needs to have at least 4hrs battery life, I'd like to avoid Windows 7 starter, and it needs to be aroud $300 (as inexpensive as possible).

I've looked at some of the Acer netbooks and keep thinking that there has to be something better out there. I'm leery about buying used from someone online because you never know what you are getting with these things.

Thanks,
Spoon Man
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Try looking for a comp with a Linux distro. It'll allow you to save some cash since you save on the windows license.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
This one is more than you want to pay, but I have the earlier model and the battery life is really tremendous. The keyboard is 92% size of a regular one. Great product.

You can increase ram easily by yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1015PED-P...4946774&sr=8-9
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Recertified ASUS EEE PC Netbook $212 shipped at Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220799

6-cell battery gets over 8 hours away from a power outlet, comes with Win XP Home. $40 more gets you the extended 12 mth warranty since it's a refurb; I never bother with the warranty myself. I like these units and if they meet your needs are great value for the money. Can be upgraded to 2GB RAM, costs about $40 more depending on the brand of the RAM you choose to buy, and access to change the RAM is easy even for technophobes.

Similar units were available at Buy.com at around $229 but none at the moment, I just checked.

Use OpenOffice (free) instead of MS Office to save more money.

Hope this helps!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I would also recommend the Asus netbooks - any with the long battery life 6 cell. You might be able to find a "last year's model " at a reduced price. I bought mine to use at university and now find I use it all the time in preference to the other PC's around the house.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
If this will be your only computer avoid a netbook.
Its too limited (small, slow etc.)

This is slightly above $300 but it might be better

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AS...4986882&sr=1-1

In general:

If a laptop is around $300 including Windows then the manufacturer will have to to make compromises to save money somewhere. this means that battery live won't be brilliant, it will come with a fan that makes noise, it will run hot etc.

You might actually get a better device buying a used/refurbished model.

I don't know if Amazon in the US has the same policy as in Germany. Here one can return a product 14 days after purchase. Then Amazon checks it thoroughly, repackages it and sells it used on the marketplace.

Sometimes one can make a pretty good deal (got a lense for my DSLR that way, saved me a quarter of the original price ...)
Ah, here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=1267877011
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote