Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #25666
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Late night glass of Bombay Sapphire as I cry in my beer...er...gin over doing exactly what I promised myself I wouldn't do this time... Plug a 100volt unit into a 220volt line... I've done it every time I've come to Thailand and I was praying this time would be different. Last time I blew up the power supply on my desktop computer. This time I was over-careful. I brought the computer to the shop for some upgrade work that I was too lazy to do myself, and while there checked to be sure I had the right power supply installed. (It was a 100-240v model so no probs.)

But tonight I found my computer speakers in a box I was unpacking, and happy to have some nice sound and be able to bin the $5 speakers I picked up at a night market to use until I found the good ones, merrily set the speakers on either side of the monitor and plugged them into the mains... Pop! A puff of smoke and a hearty Hi Yo Silver! They're toast!
Oh well. They weren't expensive speakers to begin with. One advantage to being almost stone deaf is that I don't need to spend a lot of money on speakers. But I can hear the difference between those and the $5 ones I picked up. Well, I 'could have' heard the difference if I didn't blow them up... Tomorrow's added chore; go to the Computer Mall and buy new speakers....

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #25667
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Bummer! That clearly calls for a second glass of Bombay Sapphire.

For me, a second mug of Prince Charles.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #25668
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'll raise my beer shandy to you Stitchy and hope you find a bargain. Boy it is muggy here tonight - hope the promised storm/rains do come tomorrow.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #25669
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Having an unusual fifth mug of tea. Taking a break from doing some telephone line troubleshooting down in the basement. The 50 year old terminal blocks are located in the darkest, most inaccessible corner of the basement possible. So far, I've checked the station lines that go to one of the two terminal blocks. The easier one.

This would be so much easier if I could sit, with a work light. It would also be helpful if all the tiny wires weren't bunched together overhead, almost out of reach, between the joists.

Oh, well. Back to work.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #25670
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talkin' 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say "I'm gonna be like you dad
You know I'm gonna be like you"

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OqwKfgLaeA )

Good morning, everyone! Storm's finally passed. I can see the squall line extending across the entire eastern horizon. (Laos is gonna get pretty wet!) I'm guessing the Ping River is just about getting ready to overflow its banks... as usual... during the rainy season. Flooding is so normal here that most things don't even stop except the business that are underwater. We're not in the flood zone, but much of the downtown shopping area gets wet several times a year.

Unbranded Keemun tea... Nectar of the Gods... Remarkable how much I like this tea! I unpacked the rest of my tea stash, and I have about 3k of this brew... After that, I'm in trouble. Fortunately for me they are packed in 200g vacuum-sealed bags. I'll keep them inside a dark closet too. Not taking any chances...

I can't tell you how excited I am that Kate had her baby. I can't because I'm not. Hey, I'm happy when anyone has a healthy baby, but I don't see where it's any of my business, enough to fill every news media for days going on about it. Having babies isn't news. It's wonderful, but ordinary. As for it impacting 'my' life, well, a crack whore having a baby is going to affect me more. She's on welfare and my tax dollars are paying for it. Print HER story every day for weeks... I can understand the Brits getting excited about having a new little prince around, but the rest of the world? It's about exciting as Kim Kardashian going shopping. Fodder for the "Enquirer" supermarket tabloid, not the New York Times.

Speaking of times... it's time to visit the Food Lady! And of course, a second mug of Unbranded Keemun!

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #25671
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Unbranded Keemun tea... Nectar of the Gods... Remarkable how much I like this tea! I unpacked the rest of my tea stash, and I have about 3k of this brew... After that, I'm in trouble. Fortunately for me they are packed in 200g vacuum-sealed bags. I'll keep them inside a dark closet too. Not taking any chances...

Speaking of times... it's time to visit the Food Lady! And of course, a second mug of Unbranded Keemun!
The good news is, Keemun ages really well. IME, it gets better over time, assuming good conditions. And you've certainly provided good conditions, though I suspect the vacuum sealing will prevent that aging effect. Still, you won't exactly be running out of it soon. And by then you can find a source for another good Keemun, though probably not at as good a price.

Finishing up the evening with a Diet Coke.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #25672
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
I can't tell you how excited I am that Kate had her baby. I can't because I'm not.

Sometimes it's good that there are still some old men around who dare to speak the truth!

[morning coffee]
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #25673
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post

Sometimes it's good that there are still some old men around who dare to speak the truth!

[morning coffee]
Wait a minute... Who you callin' 'old?'

Stitchawl
Old 07-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #25674
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I can't tell you how excited I am that Kate had her baby. I can't because I'm not. Hey, I'm happy when anyone has a healthy baby, but I don't see where it's any of my business, enough to fill every news media for days going on about it. Having babies isn't news. It's wonderful, but ordinary.
I'm with you 100%. I can't bear to have the news on at the moment (normally we are tuned in to one of the news channels pretty much all day). I really DON'T CARE. As you said, I'm happy for anyone that has had a healthy baby - now get on and live your lives and stop intruding on mine (straying into Vent & Rant territory here...).

A cup of decaf in my cup as I watch the torrential rain finally bring some much needed sustenance to my butchered hedge and lawn.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #25675
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Hey, there has been so much praise in my sentence and what are you picking out???
In some cultures "old" sometimes stands for "wise". Do you like this better?

[water]
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #25676
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:

Stitchawl
From what I can tell ... YOU!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #25677
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Hey, there has been so much praise in my sentence and what are you picking out???
In some cultures "old" sometimes stands for "wise". Do you like this better?
Many Thais do address me as 'pa pa.' On consideration, I like 'wise' better. It makes me feel I'll live longer. Especially when a old Thai woman calls ME 'pa pa!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
From what I can tell ... YOU!
Yeah... I noticed that too... Think I'll hit 'er with my walker...
Gotta finish my prune juice first.

Stitchawl
Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #25678
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Good morning, all. Another gorgeous day here in Paradise, where the Sunshine Coast is living up to its name this summer. We got a late start on summer, but now we're looking like we may well set a record for the number of days in a row with no precipitation. And, for a change, the reservoirs were full at the start of the season, so there's no serious concern (yet) about water use, though folks seem to be much more aware these days after the last few years when it was a big problem.

Starting out with fresh squeezed orange juice (of course), and a mug of the Murchie's O'Reilly blend. I'm liking this blend enough that I might consider at least starting out the day with the water dispenser at 208F.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #25679
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First mug of tea for the morning. Phones still don't work, but we've got the cell phones. My knee is still sore, but I'm getting an increase in range of motion. All in all, so far so good.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #25680
cromag

Tea #3. The label on the cannister says that it's "Tin Koon Yim Tea." I'm guessing it's an Oolong. Anyway, just the thing to relax to as my left knee curses me out.

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?