Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
gxtal
gxtal began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, iPad, iPhone
Calibre stripping quotation marks

Hi,

I have an HTML file which loses all the quotation marks when I try to convert it to another format, usually MOBI or EPUB. Separately I can load the HTML file into a browser (Safari) or a basic word processor (TextEdit) and the quotation marks are visible. I even tried saving it as a text file in TextEdit and then loading it, but just got garbage in place of the quotation marks.

Previously I have converted HTML files using Calibre without a problem. I have no idea about HTML formatting, but I assume it is something with the source file that is affecting Calibre.

Any ideas how to fix this, either with Calibre or the source file?

Thanks.
gxtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
You should probably do a search on "qoutes" or "qoutation marks" here in the calibre forums, as I believe this has been addressed.

The short answer, as I recall, is the encoding of the html page may not be set correctly. Therefore, during conversion, the page is being mis-interpreted. I believe the correction was to set the encoding to UTF-8 (I think), I know calibre has an option in Preferences for this.

Hope this helps.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...r-smart-quotes
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
gxtal
gxtal began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, iPad, iPhone
Thanks, used windows-1252 which worked.
gxtal is offline   Reply With Quote