Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2008, 04:01 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Bob,

This was posted today to the Fictionwise mailing list in response to a very similar question:

Quote:
> The most common reason would be that the card you last registerd with
> fictionwise is expired. You would need to go into your account, go to
> UPDATE MY PROFILE (on the left down a bit) scroll down to the section
> SECURE EREADER UNLOCK CODE and register a new card. That info will be
> used to encode your ereader files when downloading from iphone
> application.
Hope that helps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nice... I might have an eBook or two in my eReader library that I purchased when eReader was doing a free giveaway. I'll have to see if I can change my info and get one of those books onto the Touch.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hi Bob,

This was posted today to the Fictionwise mailing list in response to a very similar question:

Hope that helps.
Am I supposed to see books I bought at ereader.com on my Fictionwise bookshelf? I assume I can change the unlockcode/creditcard on the eReader web site too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #19
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
When you enter the password/login combo for ereader.com you'll only see your ereader.com purchases. (Unless of course they are the same and then I have no idea)

You can change the unlock code at the ereader.com site for your ereader downloads and at the Fictionwise site for your fictionwise.com purchases.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
OK .... I've got a question

Do the iPhone and/or the iTouch have batteries which can be easily replaced by the user??

I love my iPod, but this is the one thing that really irks me. I know that I can get a battery kit and do it myself, but it is a pain in the rear (and voids any warranty).

I wouldn't mind sending it in for replacement, but, you don't get your original iPod back ... just a replacement, which might be in better or worse condition than the one you sent in.

Now, if they have the same silly "send in your product and we'll send you back a used one with a new battery" policy for iPhones and iTouches, I know I will be unlikely to buy one.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Do the iPhone and/or the iTouch have batteries which can be easily replaced by the user??
In a word...NO.

Quote:
I love my iPod, but this is the one thing that really irks me. I know that I can get a battery kit and do it myself, but it is a pain in the rear (and voids any warranty).
The batter last much longer than the 1 year warranty. And, if you do have problems with the battery during the warranty period it is covered.

BOb
Old 07-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #22
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
In a word...NO.

The batter last much longer than the 1 year warranty. And, if you do have problems with the battery during the warranty period it is covered.

BOb
Yes, it's covered ... however, even under warranty, they will not guarantee that you get your own device back. Which sort of sucks.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, it's covered ... however, even under warranty, they will not guarantee that you get your own device back. Which sort of sucks.
Why does that suck? My son had a problem with his iPod. We went to the apple store... they confirmed the problem and swapped it out.

BOb
Old 07-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #24
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Why does that suck? My son had a problem with his iPod. We went to the apple store... they confirmed the problem and swapped it out.

BOb
I don't think that taking in a new iPod to an Apple Store and getting a new one back sucks. But then, that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about sending in a unit to Apple and not getting that unit, or a new unit to replace it, back.

Not everyone lives near an Apple Store, Bob. So, we can't just do a swapsie over the counter. And, when you send in a unit for something as simple as a battery change, you would hope that you might get your unit back. They certainly aren't sending out new ones just for the fun of it.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't think that taking in a new iPod to an Apple Store and getting a new one back sucks. But then, that's not what I'm talking about.
Ok, are you being difficult on purpose?

Swap your OWN battery... you won't need a new one until it is out of warranty. No mess, no fuss.

BOb
Old 07-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #26
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Ok, are you being difficult on purpose?

Swap your OWN battery... you won't need a new one until it is out of warranty. No mess, no fuss.

BOb
No, but I think you are.

I very likely will get a battery kit and do it myself. I was not very happy when my first iPod battery went bad ... within the warranty period ... and I sent my unit in to have it replaced, and they sent me back a unit that clearly was not mine (I noticed that the engraving was no longer on the case ... that was my first clue).

So .... I still happen to think the policy sucks. If you like it, then that's fine by me. I think you have a perfect right to your opinion. Mine is simply that the Apple policy sucks.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So .... I still happen to think the policy sucks. If you like it, then that's fine by me. I think you have a perfect right to your opinion. Mine is simply that the Apple policy sucks.
Cheers... that's cool. Although I thought they had a way to request the same unit was sent back for repair but it could take much longer. I thought they had special considerations for engraved units. Did you ask about it?

BOb
Old 07-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hope that helps.
Yep, thanks. Just went to eReader.com, changed my credit card info and now I am able to read Gibralter Earth on my son's iPod Touch. Nice little reader. Has the basics. A few font selections, 4 size selections, read landscape or portrait and just a little finger swipe to turn the pages, TOC, dictionary support. I don't see a way to do bookmarks, but I don't generally do that anyway.

It nice actually as a travel device, I could use it. But, the stipid DRM of course isn't compatible with my Kindle. ARGH!!!

BOb
Old 07-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #29
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Cheers... that's cool. Although I thought they had a way to request the same unit was sent back for repair but it could take much longer. I thought they had special considerations for engraved units. Did you ask about it?

BOb
Yes, I did .... they told me the policy was that I would get a new unit while it was under warranty, and a used unit if it was no longer under warranty.

I asked them what would happen if I sent them a very lightly used unit out of warranty and got one back that had seen a lot more use than mine. They said .... it might happen, and we're sorry, but there is nothing we can do about that.

Now, that's the part of the policy that I think sucks. I would have much rather had my lightly used (and engraved) unit back rather than a new one, but I was not given that option.

Perhaps their policy has changed, but speaking only for myself, unless they start making products with user changeable batteries, I will not be putting any more money into Apple products. No matter how "sexy" they make them.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #30
ToguSpyder
ToguSpyder began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC and iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I wrote to support and got an email back immediately from Zac Bedell, who wrote the program. He's working on new features and promises an improved version in 2 weeks or so. The program reads text, html, palm, fb2 and "other formats" and apparently works for Russian also (I haven't tried it). It only costs $9.99 and is well worth it -- I think I'll be able, finally, to get rid of my Palm (assuming there's something like DocsToGo on the iPhone).
talaivan,

How did you get ahold of Zac Bedell? On the Book Shelf web site there are no links to contact him.

If any one can help on this I am moe then happy to listen! I am trying to get some Baen books to work in the new app. Every time I click on the book on te iphone it just closes out the program. The files are prc. Books from the opensourcework fine but ca't get these to work.

Can any gve help or have away to contact Zac Bedell that would be great.

Thanks.
ToguSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote