Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Chromecast

As family members migrate from the launch Fire to new incarnations, I am accumulating a few. I had been toying with the idea of rooting one of them then Chromecast arrived and I am more interested since I ordered the dongle.

I welcome suggestions and pointers from those of you who have been at this for a while. I do not want to lost access to my amazon books, apps, and media if avoidable.

thanks!

PS are we expecting Chromecase support for the Fire [HD]?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You guys want me to go see if I can get one off Best Buy and try it on my brother's HD and my dad's 1st gen?

Except for VOD, there's not much worry about losing anything. You can sideload the appstore.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I think they are all on back order at this point.

A lot of folks who ordered right away will be getting their Chromecasts over the next few days and I'm sure we will have some Kindle Fire test reports. Mine have already shipped but I can't try them until next week because I'll be out of town. I will be testing with my rooted KFHD.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alright. I'm still on the edge of deciding anyway. I have a TV that just sits on my shelf unplugged at the moment that might benefit from one.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You guys want me to go see if I can get one off Best Buy and try it on my brother's HD and my dad's 1st gen?

Except for VOD, there's not much worry about losing anything. You can sideload the appstore.
I think the issue may be that the version of android the first gen is based on will not run the chromecast enabled apps. I tried to install chrome and got parameter errors, for instance. Even if I found a 2.3 version of chrome, it might not be chromecast enhanced.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I think the issue may be that the version of android the first gen is based on will not run the chromecast enabled apps. I tried to install chrome and got parameter errors, for instance. Even if I found a 2.3 version of chrome, it might not be chromecast enhanced.
Chrome is 4.0+ to begin with.

But Chromecast is designed to work on Gingerbread and above. I think Dolphin *might* get it though, so look out for that. Just try the main app and see if you can get it setup.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
If I'm understanding the Chromecast device functionality correctly, it is basically Google's version of Airplay.... redirecting audio/video from a smartphone/tablet to the Chromecast device. That's useful I guess, but I have found that devices that stand alone, eg. smart TVs, Roku, Apple TV, to be more useful.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Not quite like airplay - many of the media reports seem to have gotten this quite confused.

I think that this device will play stuff out of the cloud - for suitable definitions of "cloud" - seemingly only certain apps now, like Netflix or Youtube. It won't play content on your tablet or phone. The tablet or phone is used as the controller.

At least that's what I've managed to understand from the confusing reports.

Rich
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
The apps with Google Cast support get the Chromecast dongle to pull the same content independently from the web.

However, it's reported that you can play local content using the beta Chrome browser support. Open a local audio or video file, say, in a Chrome tab on your tablet, phone or PC, and you can 'cast' that tab to the TV.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I just wanted to say thanks for this discussion. Not sure how I ended up in the Fire forum in the first place, but I had not heard of Chromecast. I just ordered one. Won't be here for about a month, but I can wait.

I've been looking for a simplified solution for local media, and "drag a video file into Chrome" is about as simplified as it gets.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I've been looking for a simplified solution for local media, and "drag a video file into Chrome" is about as simplified as it gets.
It's been further reported now that this currently only works with Chrome on a PC - not yet on a tablet - but hopefully that will come.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Support for Chromecast comes through the individual apps.

So you open your Netflix app on the phone, start a movie and hit the "chromecast" button in the Netflix app. It will then move the video to your tv.

So as long as the app makers update their Kindle Fire apps with the "chromecast software button" then it should work just fine.

The other option at the moment is the Chrome web broswer on mac or PC. You can mirror a tab of the browser to the tv. So in this case, you could go to any website and it will mirror the entire tab. If you want fullscreen video, you have to set the computer to full screen which means no fullscreen video on the tv while you are surfing the web in another tab.

Google opened up the APK for developers though (and I read somewhere that Chromecast has already been hacked/rooted/etc). So it will be interseting to see what other uses the community comes up with.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Yes, Chrome for PC is what I was referring to. I should have been more specific. That's the only local media I'm interested in streaming to my TV. I don't use my phone or tablet for media viewing at home.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeg2 View Post
Not quite like airplay - many of the media reports seem to have gotten this quite confused.

I think that this device will play stuff out of the cloud - for suitable definitions of "cloud" - seemingly only certain apps now, like Netflix or Youtube. It won't play content on your tablet or phone. The tablet or phone is used as the controller.

At least that's what I've managed to understand from the confusing reports.

Rich
Yes, it HAS been quite confusing, which makes me even more confused regarding the excitement surrounding this device. Do they even know what they're excited about? Or is it simply because Google is the one releasing it?

One needs a smartphone, tablet, or PC to stream the video to the Chromecast. Once the video starts streaming, can the sending device do something else? eg. Start Netflix stream on smartphone to the Chromecast, and then exit the app on the smartphone.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
One needs a smartphone, tablet, or PC to stream the video to the Chromecast. Once the video starts streaming, can the sending device do something else? eg. Start Netflix stream on smartphone to the Chromecast, and then exit the app on the smartphone.
Per the demo at the announcement, yes.

Edit: My Chromecasts arrived yesterday. I hooked one up, sent a YouTube video to the Chromecast from my phone and once the video started playing I moved on to some other apps on my phone. It worked great!

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-31-2013 at 09:34 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote