Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
pattilee
pattilee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Fonts Changing Size Upon Conversion to EPUB

I am in the process of converting existing Word documents (design documents of online courses that we offer) to EPUB. I do save the Word document as a "Web Page Filtered" document and take that HTML document into Calibre. With the newest Calibre upgrade, it seems that any text I have in lists (bullets or numbered), upon conversion, the font size shows up larger than the text in regular paragraphs. I don't know how to fix this - either in the original Word document, the HTML or in Calibre itself (Look and Feel). Any suggestions?
pattilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
What I would do is edit the epub after the Calibre conversion. Edit it right inside Calibre using the Tweak ePub feature.

Once you've "exploded" the ePub with Calibre, use Notepad++, an excellent free utility, to edit the stylesheet.css. To determine what style governs the bullet list, first open the specific html file that contains the bullet list and look for the style preceding the text in the list. Then look for that style in the css sheet and make the value for the "font-size" smaller. For example, if the current font-size for that style is something like 0.7057em, make it 0.5em. You will have to experiment on the amount to reduce the value to get it the way you want it, but a reduction of 0.2em is a good place to start. After you're done, save the change to the stylesheet and "rebuild" the epub.

Assuming a single style is governing every bullet list in your epub, then you should be able to make a size change to them all with just a single change to one value in the css sheet.

Make a backup copy of your epub before you start tweaking in case something goes wrong.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert