Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Pulka
Pulka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Can't take notes in converted pdf

Hi.

Recently bought a Kobo Touch and already learned how to convert PDF to EPUB and it all works nice excepto for the note taking part.
With a normal ebook, i can add notes easy. But with the converted pdfs it doesn't allow it.
As soon as i convert to EPUB wasn't it suppose to let me handle it like a normal ebook?
Pulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It worked when I just tried it. But there is a wrinkle. Some PDF have images in them rather than just text. The conversion for these would probably put the images in the epub rather than text. In this case, you probably can't annotate the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
If that's the case, you could try running an OCR text recognition on the PDF first. It will scan the images for text, and make a new PDF with text instead of the images of text. Then you could convert the new PDF to epub and annotation should work.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Pulka

Ok....here's what i've done without success:

1) extracted text from pdf and saved it to notepad;
2) converted it to PDF through printing to file
3) converted the PDF to EPUB

same problem. Doesn't allow me to add notes. Any ideas?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulka View Post
Ok....here's what i've done without success:

1) extracted text from pdf and saved it to notepad;
2) converted it to PDF through printing to file
3) converted the PDF to EPUB

same problem. Doesn't allow me to add notes. Any ideas?
What firmware version is your Touch running? I don't think the earlier versions did annotations for sideloaded books.
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Pulka

how do i check the firmware version?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Pulka

found it

2.1.1 (r42411, 24/08/2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Pulka

Ok...finally success! Here's a manual for future users.

How to convert PDF files and transfer to KOBO in order to work as a full ebook:

1) either use a PDF editor to extract the text and copy to a Word processor (didn't worked most of the times for me), or go to this site
http://www.convertmypdftoword.com/
(best results for the tests i've done)

2) After having the text in the word processor, export it to PDF format

3) Use Calibre software to convert the PDF to EPUB format

4) Use Adobe Editions to transfer the EPUB file to your Kobo.

Done.

After a lot of research and the help of the community i realized that there are a lot of problems with the Ereaders handling PDF files. You can easily transfer a PDF to your ereader, but it transfers as a sort of image and doesn't let you use all the capacities that a normal ebook does. This is way you have to extract the text from the original PDF file. As Mrs_Often refered you have to "make a new PDF with text instead of the images of text"
Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulka View Post
Ok...finally success! Here's a manual for future users.

How to convert PDF files and transfer to KOBO in order to work as a full ebook:

1) either use a PDF editor to extract the text and copy to a Word processor (didn't worked most of the times for me), or go to this site
http://www.convertmypdftoword.com/
(best results for the tests i've done)
This step only makes sense if the PDF is one that uses images. If not, you may as well go straight to epub.
Quote:
2) After having the text in the word processor, export it to PDF format

3) Use Calibre software to convert the PDF to EPUB format
You would be better off saving as some other format and converting that. The calibre FAQ has http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...word-documents. There is a lot of discussion on the best way to do this.
Quote:
4) Use Adobe Editions to transfer the EPUB file to your Kobo.
Personally, as the book is already in calibre, I use that.

Quote:

Done.

After a lot of research and the help of the community i realized that there are a lot of problems with the Ereaders handling PDF files. You can easily transfer a PDF to your ereader, but it transfers as a sort of image and doesn't let you use all the capacities that a normal ebook does. This is way you have to extract the text from the original PDF file. As Mrs_Often refered you have to "make a new PDF with text instead of the images of text"
It is unfortunate that the ereaders don't handle PDF better. But, I think for most fiction, the epub is the much better format.