Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #16
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I'm not the only epub creator that uses SVG in epubs. I certainly don't think because I put SVG images in my own epubs I'm personally going to have any effect on non-compliant reading systems. However, if epub authors use features in the spec like SVG, users will aggregate toward reading systems which support those features - in this case ones which display the images. Non-compliant systems will need to either support the features or lose their user base over time.

There are things an author can do to work around things in non-compliant systems like using alt text or <object> tabs, but support for those workarounds are spotty.

The most popular reading systems are all compliant btw, last I checked the ones not supporting SVG are Stanza, Aldiko, and the Firefox EpubReader plugin. Stanza is already losing it's userbase since the Amazon acquisition and launch of iBooks. On the Android side I'd love to see Aldiko start supporting SVG. Working around non-compliant systems problems by not using SVG is definitely not going to help make those reading systems more compliant, it's just going to allow them to continue to be mediocre....

It's not like I'm arguing for the use of obscure epub features which all of the reading systems have implemented poorly, SVG is very useful and well implemented across most systems.

Edit: can't recall for certain whether or not Aldiko supports SVG.

Last edited by ldolse; 03-21-2011 at 11:02 PM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #17
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I'm not the only epub creator that uses SVG in epubs. I certainly don't think because I put SVG images in my own epubs I'm personally going to have any effect on non-compliant reading systems. However, if epub authors use features in the spec like SVG, users will aggregate toward reading systems which support those features - in this case ones which display the images.
No they won't because unless they buy the Paperback edition they will have no idea that there was suppose to be images in the first place.

BTW-- try converting your ePub with SVG images to .mobi via Kindlegen to be sold on Amazon's kindle.

Last edited by Adjust; 03-21-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert