Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Why iPad users need a Kindle (link)

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ource=rss_news
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Just the typical arguments against tablets etc.

Relevant for sure, but all things that vary by the individual in whether it really matters to them.

For me I NEVER, EVER read in direct sunlight so that takes are of reasons 1 and 2.

Reason 3 is higher risk of theft--my Kindle seldom leaves the house. Any tablet I got would stay in my brief case and only be used at home, in the office and on airplanes etc., so no real threat there.

Reason 4 doesn't bother me, never had an issue with being able to sleep after reading on a back lit screen, or playing a portable game etc.

Reason 5 is battery life--8-10 hours is fine for me. I don't go out in the bush, no big deal to plug a device in every night or two just like I do my cell phone.

Reason 6 is book availability--there off base on that one. Tablet will always win out as you can install multiple stores/drm schemes Apps and have bigger access than something like the Kindle that's locked to one store and DRM scheme.

Reason 7 is magazine availability. Off base again IMO. Kindle may have more, but reading magazines sucks on any small screen device and any e-ink device. A big color screen and fast page turns for flipping through are a must for magazines (or comics) IMO.

Reason 8 is weight. Could be a a fair point, but I don't find the iPad heavy at all. I also don't read for more than an hour or two at at time. So maybe that's a bigger concern for the true book worms, or people with arthritis or other issues etc.

Reason 9 is need for multiple ones as people will want to borrow it all the time. That one's just silly IMO, as that's true of any hot gadget. Just doesn't happen with e-readers as most people don't read!

Reason 10 is similar, constant interruptions if you try to read in starbucks etc. from people wanting to check it out. While that does happen, that's why you don't go to a PUBLIC placer when you want peace and quiet! How people can read/study in noisy coffee shops has always been beyond me.

Reason 11 is multi tasking--not what you think but that they argue that it's best to have a kindle beside an ipad or PC while writing etc. Silly again.

Reason 12--the Kindle text to speech. Fair point for people that like being read to in a robot voice I suppose. Though I'd think the iPad would get some apps with that feature eventually. And you can put audiobooks on either device.

Anyway, mostly the standard gripes about tablets and a few absurd/silly ones.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I certainly wouldn't say I need my iRex in addition to my iPad. It is nice once in a while though, primarily if I just want to focus on reading and don't want to do any of the other things that my iPad does. My iPad gets probably 10x as much use as my iRex though, so if you don't have the cash, I don't know that it is at all worth it.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
I wouldn't use an iPad as my primary reader for a couple of reasons but the primary one is distraction. If I have a web browser or games available I will use them. I need an ereader for, non-paper, immersive reading.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
If I had an iPad, someone would have to pay me to get a Kindle.

In fact, even without an iPad, someone would have to pay me to get a Kindle.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
If I had an iPad, someone would have to pay me to get a Kindle.

In fact, even without an iPad, someone would have to pay me to get a Kindle.
I've got a Kindle, and someone would have to pay me to get the ipad. Darn sure wouldn't pay $500 - $1000 for one!
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
rumi
rumi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Most of the arguments in there are rather silly. I think both devices are useful albeit for different purposes. The iPad is nice for reading shorter length items like web articles, magazines, blogs, etc. But reading on an backlit LCD screen for a long stretch of time, even when dimmed, is neither comfortable nor ideal. e-Ink readers still rule when it comes to leisure reading.
rumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
If I had bought my iPad first, I wouldn't have bought my Kindle. I can read on LCD without problem, so I would've instead applied my Kindle money toward a second iPad. That way, I could use one and charge one. For my needs, Kindle's only advantages are battery life and weight. But I prop both my iPad and Kindle for reading, so weight isn't a dealbreaker.

Hmm. Maybe I should sell my Kindle and buy another iPad.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-17-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you really encounter times when you want to use your iPad but need to charge it?

With the 10-12 hour battery life, I think I"d very seldom run into that as long as I remembered to plug it in each night.

I could probably get buy plugging it in every 2 or 3 nights or more as I'd probably only use it 2-5 hours a day most days.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I would have equal use for the ipad and an e-ink reader. I often go to the park to read with my reader but there's no really good solution for reading in bed with the lights out with an e-ink reader. With LCD screens I usually read white text with a black background the bright light wouldn't interfere with my sleep.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Do you really encounter times when you want to use your iPad but need to charge it?

With the 10-12 hour battery life, I think I"d very seldom run into that as long as I remembered to plug it in each night.

I could probably get buy plugging it in every 2 or 3 nights or more as I'd probably only use it 2-5 hours a day most days.
Not yet (unlike my iPhone, where I pretty much had to remember to charge it daily). I use the iPad a lot-mostly for watching video, and the battery life has really surprised me so far.

On the downside, I've already burned thru most of my 250M 3G already, which surprises me because I don't stream video over 3G, and have wifi at home. I think I'm probably in that dreaded 350-500M/month zone...just a bit too much to get by on 250M/month.

(and my Sony 505 has gotten zero usage)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I treat most devices the same, I usually forget to charge anything and when the time comes for me to need it, it is not charged
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

Yup. I'm taking extended time off from work, so I'm on my iPad all hours. I haven't had a TV connection in years, and reading (including Internet) is a lot of what I do for fun. I also don't let my battery run down to zero before I charge. I usually plug in at about 20 percent, so I'm essentially getting about eight hours before I plug in.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

Fair enough.

There's no harm to the battery in letting it get down lower though, rather than having to hassle with the cord when you're at 20%.

Especially if it's late in the day and the couple hours you'd get from 20% to close to 0 would get you to bedtime when you could plug in while you sleep and be ready to go in the morning.

I wouldn't have the problem as most of my work time would still be on the desktop or laptop, and most of my hobby at home time would be on the home theater set up (TV, Sports, Movies, video games etc.).

So the average day my tablet would just get used for a couple hours--some days much more when my workday is full of reading scholarly articles like today has been. But never more than 6-8 hours probably, so I'd be fine with the iPad battery personally.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-17-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Yeah, most people aren't using it like I am. I'm just glad my husband has no interest in the iPad. I don't think I'd enjoy sharing it.