Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Angry (Resolved) I'm pretty angry right now... Calibre or Sony Library MESSED UP MY PC!!!

I have a large library on my pc of pdf books of all sorts of styles, and writers.
And it seems like one program has managed to completely mess up the directory structure of my library!

Right now hundreds of directories have been created with names of authors, and all kinds of crap, which literally pisses me off, and I can only think of 2 programs that could be responsible for this mess!

1- Calibre
2- Sony reader Library...

Man, I'm surely PISSED OFF! Now hundreds of pdf's are not in the folders they where supposed to be!
I never agreed on rearranging (or messing up) my library!

And I want to know which of the 2 is responsible!

If it would be Calibre, I would very strongly urge to remove the auto arrangements, as it has brought me in a mess which will cost me several several and several hours of more work to place everything back again!!!!!

Needless to say the program responsible for the mess will immediately be removed from my computer!

I was so hesitant to install anything on my pc, even the Sony Library;since I don't like modifications to my already wonderful and speedy working OS.
It seems my cautiousness was not enough to protect me from an even greater disaster!

I will probably spend several days re-organising my library once again,that is, if I still will find in which folders all documents originally belonged.

Consider this as a serious complaint against one of the 2 programs!
I have no problem any program accessing my collection,however modifying it without prior notice is not an option!

*Edit: I found out (to my great displeasure), it is Calibre who re-organized my library. Pitty,because I did use the feeds the program offered! As soon as Calibre offers an update that will allow the user to make clear that it can not modify any books or the structure of the library, I might reconsider re-installing the program again.*

Last edited by NatCh; 11-24-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: adjusted title to reflect that the reported issue has been pretty much resolved
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Didn't Calibre leave the original files/directories in place and simply make copies for itself when you imported the books and place them in it's library directory?

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
How very annoying.
The Sony Ebook library completely ignores all my PDF files unless I actually import them to the ebook library. In fact it ignores all my books unless I import them.
So I suspect this may be Calibre.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Didn't Calibre leave the original files/directories in place and simply make copies for itself when you imported the books and place them in it's library directory?

-MJ
Thank you very much for mentioning!!!

It seems the catastrophe wasn't as bad after all! (lucky)
Indeed the files are copied instead of moved, which explains why my laptop is running out of diskspace lately...

Seemingly I only need to select the old directories and move them out to a new folder.
the remaining folders and files are the copies of the original, and can be deleted!
This makes days work into only a few minutes!

as far as changing the directory,I have to select at least one directory.
Calibre will copy all files into that directory;which I kind of find silly to have all books double.

It would make more sence to have a Calibre specified database file with links to files in the library, instead of copying everything over again.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It would make more sence to have a Calibre specified database file with links to files in the library, instead of copying everything over again.
This has been suggested to Kovid and he is not against the idea but says he has other things he would rather add first. He does accept patches so you are welcome to add a "don't reorganize my library" type option to the software I'm sure he would integrate it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Glad your day wasn't so badly ruined after all. I personally don't mind the copies as having backups is nice. Plus with about one TB on this system the 1 GB of extra copies isn't hurting my drive space much.

-MJ
Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It seems the catastrophe wasn't as bad after all! (lucky)
Hardly 'lucky'... Instead, think of the Calibre folders as it's 'database' and the reason that it needs to copy the files is to be able to arrange the folders as needed.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
That's all there is to it - I'm not letting Calibre or Sony Library near my journal article PDF library (not that the Sony Reader gives justice to such PDFs anyway).
I've tried it in the past and when I apply PDF reflow often all you get is an OCR munged text that doesn't make sense - makes you wonder what the professional journal publishers do all day..
It's a shame because I'd love to read journal articles on something like the Sony Reader - guess I'll have to wait for a ereader with an A4 sized display!

Last edited by AprilHare; 11-24-2008 at 06:17 PM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
eBook Library doesn't modify or move any of your content. It is 100% safe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
eBook Library doesn't modify or move any of your content. It is 100% safe.
And 95% useless.

BOb
Old 11-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
And 95% useless.

BOb
5% useful? Wow!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
5% useful? Wow!
I had to give it "some" points because...

1. It is the only way to buy ebooks from the Sony book store... as bad as the store is.

2. It will pre-index ebooks during transfer so you don't need to wait for the reader to do it.

BOb
Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre doesn't ever touch your original files. Even for the copies in its own database, the original files themselves are left untouched. Any changes to metadata are stored in the database. Only when you click "Save to Disk" or "Send to device" are the metadata changes written to *copies* of the original book.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #14
mjh215
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre doesn't ever touch your original files. Even for the copies in its own database, the original files themselves are left untouched. Any changes to metadata are stored in the database. Only when you click "Save to Disk" or "Send to device" are the metadata changes written to *copies* of the original book.
I dunno, I swear I've seen some of my ebooks with hidden meta tags "Kovid wuz here!" on them.

-MJ
Old 11-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I dunno, I swear I've seen some of my ebooks with hidden meta tags "Kovid wuz here!" on them.

-MJ
Darn, I was hoping no one would spot those
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kovid wuz here