Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo glo does never split words at end of sentence

Hello*
When I compare the layout of the pages on the Kobo glo with a normal book I noticed that on most of the epubs I read, the device does never tries to split words at the end of a sentence. It always uses full words. In that way the layout seems wierd as it tries to match with filling it up with empty spaces or with another setting it leaves gaps at the end of a line instead of part of a word.*
The language is Dutch. Is this a Kobo fault or an ePub error. Or do I need to do something to make it work?
Is it Kobo related...the not knowing how to split a dutch word?
sunny1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I suspect it is a combination of the software in the Glo and the format of the epub book itself. Some readers have hyphenation capability built-in so they can sensibly split words even without help from the epub level. Others rely on the epub containing soft-hyphens to indicate possible split points (which I am guessing is the case for you).

I am not sure if there is any supported ways to get Calibre to add soft-hyphens to books. It is likely to be a complicated issue as it would be highly language dependent.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo firmware does hyphenation in English. From what I can see, it does a reasonable job. I know it does as well for other languages, but I don't know about Dutch. Someone has posted instructions on changing this in the Kobo forum.

The other part of this is the text alignment. Paper books tend to justify text, so words are either spaced out more or split at the end of the line. Personally, on my reader I prefer left justification which results in the ragged right side, even spacing between words and little hyphenation. The Kobo devices can set this, but if it is set in the styles of a book, the device doesn't override it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
do y know where thinstructions for dutch are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Kobo firmware does hyphenation in English. From what I can see, it does a reasonable job. I know it does as well for other languages, but I don't know about Dutch. Someone has posted instructions on changing this in the Kobo forum.

The other part of this is the text alignment. Paper books tend to justify text, so words are either spaced out more or split at the end of the line. Personally, on my reader I prefer left justification which results in the ragged right side, even spacing between words and little hyphenation. The Kobo devices can set this, but if it is set in the styles of a book, the device doesn't override it.
sunny1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1z View Post
do y know where thinstructions for dutch are?
The method should be the same as for English. But, I just had a look in the latest firmware version and the doesn't look to be a hyphenation dictionary for Dutch.

A search of the web does find versions of "hyph_nl.dic". You could try adding that to the firmware package in much the same way as the other post describes changing the existing file. But, I don't know if this would work. The firmware might use it if it finds it there, but it is a likely that it won't look for it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote