Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #106
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
I see your point, but I remember when color displays hit the PDA market. Monochrome just could not compete. (For that matter, I remember when color displays hit the PC market.)
It is different for dedicated reading device... an appliance, if you wish.

IMHO, colour is "nice to have" feature, but few are ready to pay for it, fewer are ready to sacrifice anything (resolution?) existing to see it on their devices. Should the refresh rates of eInk (very dramatically) decrease... But that is highly unlikely.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #107
Rick1971
cool a zombie!
Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Lenovo a2107a-f, Le PanII, Motorola Xoom FE
Yeah, i had a Dell Axim 50 way back when, i read books on it...
Rick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #108
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I can see why color tv and color monitors replaced b/w (or in the case of my last monochrome monitor, green and black). We live in a colorful world. But my favorite novels aren't printed in color, even though we live in a colorful world where there exists colored inks. In fact, I think a novel printed with color would get in the way of immersive reading. That's why i suspect there will be a market for b/w ereaders for quite some time yet - until tablets solve the weight issue and have better battery length.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #109
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
... until tablets solve the weight issue and have better battery length.
And the size issue. I wouldn't think of dragging a tablet out with me wherever I go, it's far too bulky. But a 5" e-ink reader that I can slip in my pocket, I don't leave the house without it.

But I really have no need for a tablet either. 3 desktop PCs and a 10" netbook are more than I need at home, and a phone with a data plan is more than I need just running around the city. Longer stays anywhere for anything more than 1 day, my netbook also gets packed and fills in any gaps for me perfectly.

Nor do I want the distractions while reading, I love getting lost completely in a book, same as you would with a paper book. My 350s don't have internet access at all in fact, and I love that about it. I prefer buying and sorting all my books in one place, on my main PC.

So I'm one that will always prefer a dedicated reader over any of the other all-purpose toys.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #110
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
I'm only on my first e-reader (Kobo Touch) but it may well not last me a year - given that the darn thing fits in my back pocket...
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #111
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
I'm surprised at the dismissal of colour as a factor given things like illustrated books.

I expect colour to become more important in future since one of the reasons you don't see it much today is that it's vastly more expensive than b&w, not that it's not of any use.

Have you ever seen the version of The Neverending Story with the red/green coloured text which signifies which world it's in?
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #112
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
I'm surprised at the dismissal of colour as a factor given things like illustrated books.

I expect colour to become more important in future since one of the reasons you don't see it much today is that it's vastly more expensive than b&w, not that it's not of any use.

Have you ever seen the version of The Neverending Story with the red/green coloured text which signifies which world it's in?
Likewise, it is common to see printed bibles with the words of Christ printed in red. And many ebook formats support highlighting, which is better in yellow than gray, IMHO.

It's also very helpful to have color for maps and photographs in nonfiction.

It is also entirely possible that color e-ink screens will provide better light and midrange gray values than current monochrome e-ink does.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #113
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Colour on e-readers is insignificant compared to having an e-reader or not having one. It's like the difference between DVD, Blu-Ray and VHS... almost no-one prefers VHS, but if you already have a movie on DVD the Blu-Ray just looks a bit better.

And, for those of us who mostly read fiction, colour is almost irrelevant.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #114
Pat M
Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pat M ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
Colour on e-readers is insignificant compared to having an e-reader or not having one. It's like the difference between DVD, Blu-Ray and VHS... almost no-one prefers VHS, but if you already have a movie on DVD the Blu-Ray just looks a bit better.

I agree. If you have a movie you love on VHS, you might want to upgrade to DVD or Blue-Ray, but it is still easier to wait to get the device and DVD until it fits until your budget very well. If you can carry all your favorite paperback books now on your reader, then color improvements aren't nearly as big a motivator.
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Color eInk is (IMHO) a downgrade. Imagine a 1600x1200 resolution 9.7" panel downgraded to 800x600 with murky faded colors. That's color eInk on a Jetbook Color.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #116
RoseWolf95
RoseWolf95 is a jewel in the roughRoseWolf95 is a jewel in the roughRoseWolf95 is a jewel in the roughRoseWolf95 is a jewel in the roughRoseWolf95 is a jewel in the roughRoseWolf95 is a jewel in the roughRoseWolf95 is a jewel in the roughRoseWolf95 is a jewel in the roughRoseWolf95 is a jewel in the roughRoseWolf95 is a jewel in the roughRoseWolf95 is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS-650 (J)
I would strongly disagree that ereaders are dying. I would argue quite the contrary. Ereaders are everywhere; in your laptop, your smartphone, your tablet. The essence of the ereader has become omnipresent, and those who are going to read will, while those who won't, as normal, won't.

Dedicated eraeders though, yeah. I can see that decline. I love the concept of eInk though, and would love to see it perhaps incorporated into phones and tablets. Can you imagine having an entire eInk screen as the back of your tablet, so you could have a dedicated ereader when you want it, as well as dozens of other uses?

And I'd also disagree that smartphones and tablets are 'less cultured'. They can do basically everything, and are capable of the, ah, full spectrum of culture.
RoseWolf95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #117
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Color eInk is (IMHO) a downgrade. Imagine a 1600x1200 resolution 9.7" panel downgraded to 800x600 with murky faded colors. That's color eInk on a Jetbook Color.
Why do you assume that newer versions of color e-ink will not have better resolution or other improvements? Besides, even the first color e-ink's resolution is not 800x600, but still 1600x1200. That myth you keep spreading has been debunked right here on this site 100 times or more. The filter does not affect text resolution.

Colors are murky and look rather faded unless you have very strong lights, that is correct.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #118
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
The only time I use my smartphone for ebook reading is for short periods, e.g. over a solitary meal, reading a magazine (The Atlantic, which has some, but not many, photos, cartoons, and illustrations).

Not only is color irrelevant to my fiction reading, but I think it might interfere with my brain's ability to conjure up images based on the subjects and settings described in the book. If I am looking at a detailed image with my eyes, the part of my brain that creates mental images based on language (spoken or read) turns off. I'm sure I'm not the only reader who has been dismayed when the movie or TV adaptation of a favorite book supplants the version I'd created all by myself in my mind.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #119
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
E-Reading is not dying at all. People are just shifting to multifunction devices which shows a reduction in new dedicated e-readers being bought.

But ebook sales are still strong.

I read voraciously and go through a LOT of ebooks in a year. My e-reader of choice? The Samsung Galaxy Note - a 5.3" screen phone/tablet. While it may not have the battery life of e-ink readers, it is the tool that is always with me, so it is my go-to for reading. Bright sunlight isn't an issue as I don't like to read in the sun anyway - I never used to read print books in the sun either. When I am outdoors in the sun, I enjoy the outdoors.

My phone/tablet isn't a distraction. I don't have notifications turned on for email, etc. When I read on it, I just read.

And I don't watch Honey Boo. The generalization of the education and literacy of tablet users vs e-readers is just a useless hook put out there by media to generate views.

We all love ebooks. The device we choose to read them on is up to us. There is no one right e-reader for everyone.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #120
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Agree with above. E-ink readers are in a bit of a development phase right now and sale will probably continue to decline (or at least growth will continue to decline) little by little as people start reading on other devices. The reading of ebooks is only going to continue rising however. I think sales of dedicated readers will start to level off. Other than having an improved lighting system (or at least one with the kinks worked out) and better touch response and page turn speed, I can't think of anything else I would need in a reader. I'm still perfectly happy with my 650.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote