Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
valimo
valimo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
How long you have owned a M92

Hi everybody!

I am new here. I am thinking to buy a M92. I have read this forum and watched M92 videos on Youtube. However, there is still one thing stops me to make decision, the build quality. I was wondering how long you guys have owned a M92, how do you feel the build quality of it. I don't expect it lasts for ever, but at least couple of years. E-ink book is different from other electronic devices. I don't want it to have any advanced features, but just reading.

I am also looking at pocketbook 9xx serial. I would see they look better and stronger. But I have never touched any real one of pocketbook or onyx products in real, maybe I am not right.

So, could you share your opinion on this? Thanks in advance!
valimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
I think the M92's build quality is really good. It's not the toughest device I ever helt in my hands, (forget about what used to stand here: M92's exterior is entirely from plastic). I think it's in a pretty safe condition when carried around in it's case. The device's plastic parts don't jiggle around but feel tight and pretty resistant to moderate pressure.

It's just what you would expect from a device that's in the upper price class and doesn't bring any movable parts (contrary to e.g. a notebook that's always prone to cracks and defects caused by parts like the hinges, the fan, the hard disk, optical drive or even the keyboard).

I don't know the Pocketbook devices though. I have never touched one. But my impression from pictures and videos always was that the M92 is the tougher device. That too was a reason for my decision against the Pocketbook devices.

Last edited by tuxor; 05-11-2012 at 11:25 AM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
valimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
I think the M92's build quality is really good. It's not the toughest device I ever helt in my hands, but especially the metal frame around it makes a fairly robust impression. I think it's in a pretty safe condition when carried around in it's case. The device's plastic parts don't jiggle around but feel tight and pretty resistant to moderate pressure.

Thanks for comments!

I just need a ereader with big screen to read PDF mainly, like other guys here. I am SW engineer, I stare at screens all day long. So when I read books I want to read on ereaders. I have kindle 3, it is good but just small for PDF reading.

Btw, I used to like small devices, 7'' tablet, 6'' ereaders, and so on, but now I feel portability is not that important. For me now, easy-to-read is more important.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
To my opinion the build is very good. Maybe it would be more pleasant to have bigger buttons for page turns, etc., but it is more user interface design thing than build quality thing.

I use M92 for almost 5 months and it works well. Onyx works on improving firmware, so hopefuly excellent hardware will have also good/excellent software.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
6 weeks only, but the build quality seems to be really good. The buttons seem to be solid with a high life expectancy. How long an e-ink touchscreen is expected to work, i have no clue.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
valimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
6 weeks only, but the build quality seems to be really good. The buttons seem to be solid with a high life expectancy. How long an e-ink touchscreen is expected to work, i have no clue.
Right, the screen is very important for reading device if I stylus is used a lot, a screen protection layer might be need
Old 05-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
I have it since January... So far so good.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
colibri
colibri began at the beginning.

Quote:
I think the M92's build quality is really good. It's not the toughest device I ever helt in my hands, but especially the metal frame around it makes a fairly robust impression. I think it's in a pretty safe condition when carried around in it's case. The device's plastic parts don't jiggle around but feel tight and pretty resistant to moderate pressure.
Sorry but there is absolutely no metal on the M92 at all.
I opened my device already and it looks not that sturdy, considering the price. So I am looking for a nice hardcase for my M92 ... just in case ... call me paranoid ^^

Quote:
I don't know the Pocketbook devices though. I have never touched one. But my impression from pictures and videos always was that the M92 is the tougher device. That too was a reason for my decision against the Pocketbook devices.
My little brother owns a Pocketbook 912, so I can compare them.
The PB has a metal back and the arrangement of the buttons is much better, specially when you are reading in landscape (you can navigate with your thumb ... with the onyx ... its not that comfortable).

On the other side, the onyx is smaller, the screen is better (imho), its faster, scribbling works much better, it has better zoom levels ...

At the moment I am missing multitasking most (PB has multitasking).

There is no perfect device.
colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
valimo

Very good information. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
colibri

If you have other questions, don't hesitate

As already mentioned I have the M92, my brother the PB 912 an in addition my girlfriend has the an Asus Note (or eNote? not sure) and my mother a Sony PRS-T1.

Edit: The onyx has a leather cover included, for the PB you have to buy one extra ... just in case you are comparing their prices.

Last edited by colibri; 05-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibri View Post
I opened my device already
Oh - interesting - You don't happen to have pictures/assembly instructions lying around you'd post, e.g., on the wiki?

Some folks might be interested in chipset/jtag-if info etc...

Cheers!
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
colibri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
Oh - interesting - You don't happen to have pictures/assembly instructions lying around you'd post, e.g., on the wiki?

Some folks might be interested in chipset/jtag-if info etc...

Cheers!
Booxtor was faster

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178058
Old 05-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
valimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibri View Post
If you have other questions, don't hesitate

As already mentioned I have the M92, my brother the PB 912 an in addition my girlfriend has the an Asus Note (or eNote? not sure) and my mother a Sony PRS-T1.

Edit: The onyx has a leather cover included, for the PB you have to buy one extra ... just in case you are comparing their prices.
Colibri, looks you have a family loving readings.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
colibri

Quote:
Originally Posted by valimo View Post
Colibri, looks you have a family loving readings.
Not sure about that My brother and me we are students, so we have to read a lot. And because we get nearly all needed books form our university as a pdf-file (legally!) its cheaper buying such a device. On top of that I don't need to print that much any more and don't need to carry these heavy books and papers around

My mother got her reader as a birthday present and she is reading while traveling to work. In fact she is not into this "new" stuff but it works surprisingly good

And finally my girlfriend ... yeah she is a real booklover, she has over 1000, but for her work she used to print a lot of drafts and papers. Now she has her Note and is able to work everywhere, without wasting so much wood.