Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Hugo
Hugo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Lots of Footnotes

I am looking for a good layout for a document with lots of footnotes/annotations on a kindle

For example a book of Shakespeare sonnets may have footnotes for every other line.
What would be the best way to present that on the Kindle?

Converting them all to endnotes is a possibility, with a link to the endnote and a link back to the text, but reading that is *very* tedious

I see two options:

- The first two line of the foootnote could appear at the bottom as soon as the cursor is over the annotated word. "press enter" to jump to the full footnote.
(i.e. exactly the same way Kindle currently handles dictionary lookups)

- The screen could be split in left/right or top/bottom. One side contains the text and the other the corresponding annotations.

Is either of these possible? If yes, how?

(my source material at the moment are html pages, two frames. The footnotes are all on one page in the bottom frame. Each footnote hyperlink links to a specific section of that page so it scrolls into view.)
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't say this very often, but this is a classic situation in which a PDF with pages correctly formatted for the page size of the reading device, and "proper" footnotes on each page, is probably a much better solution that a Mobipocket book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote