Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Reader okay after being in cold?

I went skating today and took the 505 to read on the subway. It totally did not even occur to me that it might not be smart to leave the reader in my backpack in the cold for two hours! It was in an inside pocket of my backpack and slightly insulated by my shoes, sweatshirt (which I shed while skating) and other things. And it was not freezing freezing either---I was okay skating with no hat and I was warm in mittens.

I took the reader out later and there was some ghosting on the screen (an impression, very light, of the last page on there) which alarmed me a little, but it cleared up once I turned it on and pressed some buttons. I was just reading it on the subway on the way home and it seemed fine...

So I am guessing, no long-term damage? I guess next time I should stick with the ipod Touch for reading on the way to skate outside, since that at least can stay in my coat pocket and be insulated by body heat. It does seem fine now and it wasn't *that* cold, but I was a bit alarmed when I took it out and saw the page impression on the screen.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I have had ghosting on my Sony PRS-600 screen before, normally when the text on the last page has been quite dark.

So it may just be normal behaviour and not because it got cold. It wasn't left out in the open anyhow. So I'm sure it's fine
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
No expert here, but just like with a laptop computer, I would allow it to come back to room temperature before turning it on. when we were on the road, we often left our laptops in our trailer overnight(we sold at computer shows). We did not turn on the computers until they had suffficient time to come back to room temperature (It could be sub freezing weather)
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See A Question of Temperatures! from 2007. The bottom line is that cold isn't good for batteries and the display, although I don't think there is any reason to be concerned in your case - particularly since the display storage minimum temperature is -25 °C (-13 °F).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote