Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't think there was liquid in an eInk display like in an LCD (l=liquid).

And, I'm wrong:

The principal components of electronic ink are millions of tiny microcapsules, about the diameter of a human hair. In one incarnation, each microcapsule contains positively charged white particles and negatively charged black particles suspended in a clear fluid.

So, what you say makes perfect sense.

BOb
i saw a diagram of how e-ink screens are made. that's how i knew about the liquid.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #17
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I've noticed slower page turns and ghosting with a cold e-ink display but haven't noticed reduced contrast. I've actually found it to be an advantage over the LCD screen in my PDA. I used to have to adjust the contrast when the screen was cold and then again when it warmed up. With the e-ink I just get a bit of ghosting for a couple page refreshes and then it's fine.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 03:09 AM   #18
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherchance View Post
Not contrast per se, but last year I did report to this board that my 505 took a little while to "warm up", and during those first 20 or 30 page turns, the two pages would display simultaneously for a very short time, rather than do the simple "flash". Once I warmed the back of the cold metal with my hands, this behaviour would go away. Its not been cold enough for that to happen to me yet this winter.
I have noticed this too. It's like the page turn gets sluggish.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #19
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Well it's nice to know I wasn't imagining it. ;-)
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
oCfuu
oCfuu began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Man, am I glad this Thread already existed!

My reader got a cold last week, after I left my window open on one of the cooler L.A nights. The next morning I kinda freaked out, cause the contrast seemed... different. I felt as if the letters were less legible.

I have since taken it on a plane and into the German wilderness (Frankfurt am Main ^^ ) Now I don't know if this is just placebo, but I have the feeling it's a little less contrasty now all the time... It's probably just me imagining things now, but I can definitely confirm, that contrast drops a little when the little bugger gets cold. Maybe we should open an Etsy Store with knitted covers for our little PRS'... That would be wicked....... Anyone gonna do it? I'd prolly pay a good 25$ for one with nice flashy colors!!
oCfuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #21
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
It should work fine in the cold. I drag my reader around in below freezing weather for about 4 months a year. Still works, however the reade is a wee bit cold at times....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oCfuu View Post

My reader got a cold last week, after I left my window open on one of the cooler L.A nights. The next morning I kinda freaked out, cause the contrast seemed... different. I felt as if the letters were less legible.

I have since taken it on a plane and into the German wilderness (Frankfurt am Main ^^ ) Now I don't know if this is just placebo, but I have the feeling it's a little less contrasty now all the time... It's probably just me imagining things now, but I can definitely confirm, that contrast drops a little when the little bugger gets cold. Maybe we should open an Etsy Store with knitted covers for our little PRS'... That would be wicked....... Anyone gonna do it? I'd prolly pay a good 25$ for one with nice flashy colors!!
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #22
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by oCfuu View Post

I can knit one, but I don't know about flashy colors All my yarns are boring.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #23
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The device itself is equipped with some metal in the frame, also the paint is metallic carrying more heat away from the device.
This would be a good case for removing the heat of a 2Ghz processor, but the internal 200Mhz processor hardly gets warm.
In other words, unless you live in a warm environment the reader will be too cool to have a good refreshing time.

So go to the Saharan desert on holidays to pimp your reader!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #24
morty1753
morty1753 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post

So go to the Saharan desert on holidays to pimp your reader!
I have noticed no difference in operation between UK in winter and Sahara desert in summer. A temperature difference of > 50 degC
morty1753 is offline   Reply With Quote