Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
Very disappointed with Adobe DE ebook!

Hi,

I purchased an ebook from BooksOnBoard just to tried it, I used the Adobe Digital Edition format for my PRS-505. Everything worked fine, the download and installation on the device, BUT: it's very difficult to read because there is a huge white margin around the text, so a lot of space is wasted, even in max. zoom the characters are very small and the contrast is very low, the characters seem all to be grey instead of near-black (other PDFs I have are much much better to read). I cannot see how to improve that.

A very disappointing experience for around $11 I spent!
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
How odd...that sounds more like a PDF (image-based PDF, at that), rather than an ePub. ePub should be reflowable and more like...well, html. If you resize, the font should resize.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Without having seen the book, this is why I don't buy $11 DRMed anything. You just don't know what you're getting, you can't fix it, and you can't return it. None of this would be acceptable in a real-world bookstore.

With Calibre and all the other tools we have to tweak non-DRM content, you can have a very attractive ebook if you want one.

The Kindle folks have had a lot of problems with what's called the Topaz format. Publishers are scanning paper books from back catalog and putting the resulting scans out for Kindle as books. Since each page is a picture, you don't get all the cool reflow and search features. I haven't heard of this process for us, but then I don't buy DRMed stuff. Would you share the publisher of this non-good product? I'd like to be able to avoid their products if I'm ever at Books-on-board.

Last edited by RSaunders; 01-30-2009 at 11:10 AM.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
I've taken a second look on the book and I have to admit that it isn't as bad as I thought first. The first time I was very shocked about the huge white border around the text but when using the first zoom (M) I think it is really ok. And on bright daylight the contrast is also manageable.

I have attached some fotos for you to see it yourself with different zoom levels.
It seems that the text reflow is quite ok when zooming (some of the spaces between words seem to get a little large, but it's ok to read).

However it's disappointing that the book it not optimized for mobile readers, it seems to be thought for reading on a bigger computer screen.

Anyway I can think I can go with that, but the bext books I'll buy (if any) will be in a more convenient format like the one from Sony.

BTW: The book is from here:
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ook&BOOK=19909
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DDD_9395_01.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	22356   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDD_9396_01.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	22357  
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggle4Evr View Post
Books on Board actually has another supplier for The Confusion by Neal Stephenson, http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=143749, which includes ePub but is slightly more expensive.

When I am searching at BoB I use the "list" display option to see which formats the various versions of the same book include (although in this case it shows two PDF icons rather than one ePub and one PDF).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
aliencane
Enthusiast
aliencane is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505, iPad
NYPL has several Neal Stephenson books in mobipocket format. The Confusion is available .
aliencane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggle4Evr View Post
I've taken a second look on the book and I have to admit that it isn't as bad as I thought first. The first time I was very shocked about the huge white border around the text but when using the first zoom (M) I think it is really ok. And on bright daylight the contrast is also manageable.

I have attached some fotos for you to see it yourself with different zoom levels.
It seems that the text reflow is quite ok when zooming (some of the spaces between words seem to get a little large, but it's ok to read).

However it's disappointing that the book it not optimized for mobile readers, it seems to be thought for reading on a bigger computer screen.

Anyway I can think I can go with that, but the bext books I'll buy (if any) will be in a more convenient format like the one from Sony.

BTW: The book is from here:
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ook&BOOK=19909
What you did was purchase the eBook in PDF format. PDF eBooks like The Confusion are setup for letter size and generally have huge margins. Purchasing PDF is not normally a good idea. What you can do it purchase the MS Reader version and remove the DRM using ConvertLIT and then convert to LRF using Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Although I'm not optimistic, I hope that Sony can improve the reflow function in future firmware releases. I recently sent them an email asking if this might be possible, but unfortunately I received only the canned "We're sorry you're not happy with your purchase" reply.

Maybe they'll find a way to fix it if they get enough "not happy" complaints. But I suspect it's a problem more with pdf itself than it is with Sony's implementation of pdf.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote