Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Issue with syncing to last pg read (Kindle)

I've been using, and really enjoying, Calibre's ability to sync the last page read between the Kindle and other devices running Kindle software for books I didn't purchase at Amazon. I've noticed, though, that this works only for books I transfer to the Kindle via Calibre when the Kindle is attached to the computer using the USB cable, not for books I email to the Kindle from Calibre. (I did a comparison test today trying it each way to confirm that.)

I did some poking around, and realized that when Calibre transfers the file to the Kindle via USB, the file stays in its .mobi format. When I use Calibre (or anything else) to email the file to the Kindle using the @free.kindle.com address, Amazon converts the .mobi file to the .azw format. I'm assuming that something happens in this conversion to prevent the sync (maybe by changing the ASIN number?), or maybe it's just because they're no longer the same kind of file.

This is probably really obvious to most, but it wasn't to me, so I thought I'd post it here just to save anyone else from spending the kind of time I did figuring out what was happening, since I didn't make the connection with emailing the file at first . I'll just use the USB connection from now on for any books I want to sync.
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Indeed, the syncing uses a header field in the book that stores an id identifying the book. Presumably, the email send causes the contents of this header field to be blanked/changed, which prevents the syncing from working.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Wow -- thanks for the quick response (and for the sync feature, which I obviously love)!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
afscoots
afscoots began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Android
im a beginner to the calibre software. how do you do what you described in the first post? i have a kindle 2, droid with kindle and i am trying to sync the last page read for a non amazon book between my 2 devices
afscoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afscoots View Post
im a beginner to the calibre software. how do you do what you described in the first post? i have a kindle 2, droid with kindle and i am trying to sync the last page read for a non amazon book between my 2 devices
Use the latest version of Calibre to convert your ebook file to a .mobi file. DO THIS EVEN IF IT'S ALREADY a .mobi file from some other source other than amazon (ie Baen. You shouldn't have to if it's already an amazon .mobi). Alternatively, I believe the Count Pages plugin will also insert the required info.

Then, simply use calibre to load the file to your kindle, or android/iOS/blackberry device. For my android phone, I use a third party app that accesses my calibre library over the web, but you can do it directly with your mobile browser. Ensure that both (or all) devices are using the same file, of course.

Last edited by gweminence; 07-15-2011 at 05:20 PM.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Statch
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
For my android phone, I use a third party app that accesses my calibre library over the web, but you can do it directly with your mobile browser.
Do you mind if I ask which Android app you're using?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statch View Post
Do you mind if I ask which Android app you're using?
It's called, interestingly enough, Calibre Library. However, it has no affiliation with the main Calibre software, or Kovid. The author makes this clear in the app itself.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
gweminence
Fat Guy

Actually I'm no longer certain that the count pages plug in adds the correct information, so just be sure to convert to .mobi using calibre, to be sure.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Actually I'm no longer certain that the count pages plug in adds the correct information, so just be sure to convert to .mobi using calibre, to be sure.
The count pages plugin has absolutely no relevance to this thread? Perhaps you meant the APNX Generator plugin?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
gweminence
Fat Guy

Ah, so I did. Sorry, Kiwidude.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
Statch
Connoisseur

Quote:
It's called, interestingly enough, Calibre Library. However, it has no affiliation with the main Calibre software, or Kovid. The author makes this clear in the app itself.
Thanks! I've been looking for a way to transfer books to my phone without the USB cable, and this works great. It was worth the 2.99 to me to make it that simple.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statch View Post
Thanks! I've been looking for a way to transfer books to my phone without the USB cable, and this works great. It was worth the 2.99 to me to make it that simple.
There are multiple free ereaders for Android that have that file transfer function built in. I'm not sure why you'd buy an app to transfer an ebook to your Android, when you need an ereader to read it anyway, and almost all the free ereaders do that function for you. Plus, after moving it to your Android, they put it in their library and keep track of it.

Two to look at are Aldiko and Moon +. I know there are others.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
Statch
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
There are multiple free ereaders for Android that have that file transfer function built in. I'm not sure why you'd buy an app to transfer an ebook to your Android, when you need an ereader to read it anyway, and almost all the free ereaders do that function for you. Plus, after moving it to your Android, they put it in their library and keep track of it.

You're right, of course, but I'm using the Kindle app for Android, which I think doesn't do that. (If I'm wrong, though, I'd love to know.) I'm using the Kindle software because of the last page sync feature.

I know there are other ways to get the books to my Android phone without having to use the USB connection, but this was simple, and I don't mind paying the $2.99. I did just figure out how to connect to the Calibre server using the Kindle browser and download books that way, which I was really happy about. (I was emailing them before but then realized that destroys the last page sync option, and I really didn't want to go back to the USB cable.)
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post

The whole point of his thread is the last-page sync feature...which ONLY kindle for android has.

I'm not starting a 'which device or app is better' war, here. Just stating a fact. The OP wants that VERY useful feature, and THIS app is the only one that has it, because Amazon is currently the only entity supplying server, storage, and processing time to make it possible. Granted, they didn't intend for books other than their own to have the capability, but intrepid Calibre authors took matters in their own hands.

I, for one, am insanely thankful that they did.

Edit:

Well, the Kindle for xxxxx App. They all have it.

Last edited by gweminence; 07-17-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I think the issue is paying for an app (Android Calibre Library) that (to my knowledge) doesn't do anything the Android web browser can't easily do, especially since ACL uses calibre's content server to access the library. On the other hand, some people might find ACL more convenient/easy/pretty/what-have-you, so to each his/her own.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote