10 hrs 5 6.33%
15 hrs 2 2.53%
20 hrs 7 8.86%
20+ hrs 64 81.01%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #46
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic
I seem to plug it in every two or three days to bring down another collection, and it keeps topping that battery back off.
I've been doing my best to avoid plugging it in, probably no more than 40 minutes all together. If all it takes to keep the battery topped off is transferring books onto it periodically, then ... well, I'd call that a success, anyway.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #47
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Hi guys! back for a day!

Since the reader is so efficient with power why don't they put a solar cell like on a calculator?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome back, yvanleterrible! I was just thinking about you earlier, today! Now that you're here, maybe you'll consider shortening your hiatus? You've already got a lot to catch up on.

I'm not sure where they'd put a solar cell, there's not much wasted space -- I suppose we could clip it to the cover.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #49
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm not sure where they'd put a solar cell, there's not much wasted space -- I suppose we could clip it to the cover.
Nope, not there Sigh, I'm late again, wanted to come up with mock-ups for the same idea and search-by-joystick thing. I guess, I cannot claim every great idea as my own
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:44 PM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist

Don't get greedy, Slava.
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #51
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Happy day to see you here Yvan!

I like the solar charger idea too. But since the Reader rarely needs recharging, maybe it wouldn't get used very much or be needed by many people anyway. Personally, I top it off when I dock it.

But for those who want one, I'm pretty sure there are portable electronics solar chargers out there already that would work great. It just wouldn't be integrated.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #52
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
But for those who want one, I'm pretty sure there are portable electronics solar chargers out there already that would work great. It just wouldn't be integrated.
It would work really well if it attached to the usb port at the bottom and was as wide as the reader itself, then it would be semi-integrated
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #53
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Ok, here is the second version. First one had solar panel on the top, but I didn't like it. Also, Sony can add piezo-charges under button. After all whole thing based on clicking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar_reader.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1804  
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #54
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
having it on the open side of the cover to act as a counterweight to the reader would be nice. It would make it easier to hold with just one hand and give a large surface area.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #55
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Hi guys! back for a day!

Since the reader is so efficient with power why don't they put a solar cell like on a calculator?
A solar cell would be a nice complement specially since you need light to read e-ink. When's the last time you had to recharge your calculator ?You'd never need to recharge your reader.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #56
NatCh
Gizmologist

I suppose if you could find a commercial unit with the right voltage output....
Old 10-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #57
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Any calculator with a decent sized screen (think graphing calculators) need to be recharged/new batteries fairly often. I would dare say more often than the Reader.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #58
NatCh
Gizmologist

After two full weeks of usage, still two blocks!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:59 PM   #59
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I'm still showing full blocks after a couple of weeks and about 2,400ish pages. I have plugged it into the computer a couple of times for transfers maybe about 30 minutes total. It seems even with daily use I'm only going to need to charge this thing 5-6 times a year. That is awesome.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #60
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yeah. I'm finding that my battery indicates full charge (all blocks filled in on the meter).
I don't specifically try to charge it. I only have it on the cradle to transfer books. What a wonderful feeling of freedom to not have to worry about the battery.

I hope Sony doesn't consider it overkill and cut back if there is ever a next generation of devices. This is a real big positive for the product.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote