Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #256
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
Just got around to posting March totals... Hmmm -- number of books has risen each month, but number of pages has dropped. I've been really busy and without even realizing it, I seem to have opted for shorter books that won't entice me into marathon reading sessions. Also, I'm following the Pepys Diary online which involves reading the day's diary plus all the commentary (interesting and informative), AND catch myself spending WAY too much time following links, e.g. old maps of London, sketches and detailed models of warships from the era, etc., etc.. I'll need to come up with a reasonable way to assign this reading a page value.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #257
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I am a little amazed Nyssa sometimes at the genre combinations that I find on the book shelves these days but erotica/mystery that's a new one by me.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #258
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I am a little amazed Nyssa sometimes at the genre combinations that I find on the book shelves these days but erotica/mystery that's a new one by me.
The mystery component was a surprise to me too, but they had to add something to justify having a series.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #259
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I now have 7 books on my DNF/Back-burner list. I just could not stay engaged with American Gods, its a bit to "heavy" for me at the moment. I also set Sherlock Holms to the side, but expect to pick it back up again by summertime.

Technically, I'm still ahead (by 7 books) challenge wise, but I feel like I havn't read anything in "forever", so I'm giving Ian Flemming's Bond a go.

My initial frustration is that I need a translator by my side. While many of the French words are easily guessed in context ("caisse" and "cassier" in the cassino), and others aren't really necessary, or are loosely translated a little later to aid in the overall understanding of the story (Loi Tendant a la Fermeture des Maisons de Tolerance et au Renforcement de la Lutte contre le Proxenitisme {Law aimed at the closure of brothels and strengthening the fight against pimping} [the last word of which Google was unable or unwilling to translate; nor did "M" know in the story, but it was translated by the Director of S when asked]) I like to know exactly what they mean, so the flow is off as I keep stopping to look things up.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #260
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have heard a lot of similar comments about American Gods that you voiced that's why when I saw it come up on the kindle daily deals I initially thought of it but eventually took a pass on the book. I wonder what the daily deal in books is to day?
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #261
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'm ahead on the challenge which is good because I read very little in April. Just wasn't all that comfortable because of cataract surgery in one eye leaving me far-sighted, but not in the other until next Wednesday.

I'm still reading Conquest of the Incas which I began 6 or 7 weeks ago, but have been motivated to attempt only the lightest reading this month. I did read and enjoy the Literary Club's next selection 'Chess'. I bought all the James Bond books which are re-reads from decades ago for me. I'll soon run out of Michael Connelly books () so I'll start on Bond.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #262
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've managed to keep April purchases down to 8, which is good. If I can keep purchases to 8 or less for the remaining 8 months of the year, I'll make my challenge total.

On an less positive note, my TBR is only down 14 for the year, and to make my secondary goal, I'll need to reduce it by another 53.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #263
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have heard a lot of similar comments about American Gods that you voiced that's why when I saw it come up on the kindle daily deals I initially thought of it but eventually took a pass on the book. I wonder what the daily deal in books is to day?
I had the opposite experience with American Gods. Couldn't stop even if I wanted to because I kept asking what's behind the corner. I found the book very exciting, not heavy. But then again I like not necessarily heavy but definitely dark, edgy and books that don't shy away from violence. So maybe it takes a lot for me to call something "heavy". I would probably use that attribute for some boring classic like Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky.
As for today's daily deals, I haven't heard of any of the authors so I wouldn't buy anything
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 AM   #264
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've managed to keep April purchases down to 8, which is good. If I can keep purchases to 8 or less for the remaining 8 months of the year, I'll make my challenge total.
there's two more days to go though
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #265
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I had the opposite experience with American Gods. Couldn't stop even if I wanted to because I kept asking what's behind the corner. I found the book very exciting, not heavy. But then again I like not necessarily heavy but definitely dark, edgy and books that don't shy away from violence. So maybe it takes a lot for me to call something "heavy". I would probably use that attribute for some boring classic like Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky.
As for today's daily deals, I haven't heard of any of the authors so I wouldn't buy anything
I attribute my reaction to my being sick for over a week. It felt "heavy". Like I said, I couldn't engage... I felt like I was just wondering aimlessly along after Shadow with no real grasp as to what was going on. There was no story for me to wrap my head around. It felt random; or like I was missing the point.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #266
jbcohen
Wizard

I am pleased to say that I am running a little ahead of where I need to be to finish this years challenge. If I want to finish my challenge on time I need to be on book number twenty-eight by the end of April and I am on book number thirty-three. Assuming that i continue for the remainder of the year at the same rate that I am going now I stand a good chance of breaking one hundred, the most likely scenarios is that I will make ninety-nine books, stopping just a hairs breath away from one hundred books this year.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #267
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I finished year 30 of 44. Whew, it's been a slog to get through 44 years of life, but it has been a fun journey so far.

I am way ahead of schedule for now; I should be at about 15 titles. I am currently reading a couple of non-list books though.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #268
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Very slow month just 6 books read, bringing my total to 42 booksw. I have increased my 50 goal to 75 books. I was hoping for 100 but my vision is playing up and I can not read after 5pm most days. With some luck the colder weather will help with the MS and my vission will get better over winter.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #269
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm glad I set my goal to a sedate 120 books this year, instead of 150 (after last year's nearly 170 books, I contemplated 150 this year).

I'm currently a comfortable 7 books or 5% ahead, Goodreads informs me, so at this rate I shouldn't have a problem meeting my goal while not having to feel bad about it when I'm too tired or busy to read at all some evenings.

Granted, the 46 books read this year also includes four separate short stories, which I've counted, but on the other hand, there's also at least one two-book omnibus which I counted as one and several reasonably lengthy (6000-8000 Kindle locations) novels, so all in all, it evens out to "average length novel" nicely.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #270
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I've read 43 and should be at 50 at this point. I need to pick shorter books!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote