Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I wanted to free up shelf space by getting rid of as many public domain books as I could, especially the unlovely paperbacks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #17
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
My son-in-law's comment on the weekend sums it all up for me.

Asked how his Kobo 1 went (my Kobo, given to him for Christmas) on his recent six month deployment (He is in the RAN).

Bloody fantastic! The ability to have two hundred books on an easy to use device beats the hell out of lugging paperbacks around. I never ran out of books to read!

Could not have said it better. Oh, and yes, we have run out of room on our house for more dead tree books.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I was really getting tired of walking into Chapters and finding books 2, 3 and 5 of a series that I wanted to start. Instant delivery? Hello e-Reading. I haven't looked back in almost five years now.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #19
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Good thread idea.

I wanted to be able to carry many books with me at one time. I also end up reading a lot of thick books and my Sony is so much easier to hold, there's really no comparison. I also wanted the free public domain books.

Having an ebook reader has saved me so much money. I get ebooks and pbooks from the library, I get public domain books, and because of those two things I haven't paid for a book in over a year. (Could have been longer but I wasn't totally assimilated yet.)
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #20
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I had been thinking about it for a while. I liked the ability to carry a library, the access to cheap (and free) books, etc. As a stay-at-home Dad I was frequently called to drive somewhere and wait -- dance lessons, scout meetings, etc., etc. And then my Dad had health problems and I had to drive him to one doctor or another ... and wait. I saw one on sale, picked it up, and I've been having a ball ever since!

As we were getting ready for one recent doctor's visit my Mom asked me if I'd like to bring a newspaper to read. I told her to get with the times! I had, like, two hundred books in my coat pocket!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #21
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It was bigger font sizes for me, and cheap or free books didn't hurt either.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #22
sharkbytes
sharkbytes began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch
I was given an old iTouch 2, but discovered I could take books with me, and also read in bed and not bother hubby.
sharkbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #23
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
After getting rid of half of our library of books for a long distance move to a smaller home, the moving vans arrived with more books than the new home had room to place. It was hard to have to get rid of even more, but there was just not room in the new home for a separate library room again (I seriously considering getting rid of the piano and other instruments - instead of the books).

My son was on a plane trip, sitting next to someone using a Sony 505, and, after talking with her and seeing her device, he bought me one for Christmas 2008. Since then, I picked up a Kindle Keyboard and he gifted me with a Kindle Fire. I am so in love with being able to read most anything, at anytime, anywhere, that I am slowly getting rid of my dead tree books.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #24
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post

What got you started in the first place?
Baen Webscriptions. I had been looking for publisher sites to get lists of books that were to be published. Baen had always had a 6 or 8 month list of what was on the schedule, and then started posting samples. One book, they put the whole book up as a sample, and I read the whole thing on my computer. It worked, but I didn't want to do it all the time. Then they started the webscription program, and I searched for a device to use. I didn't use a PDA, didn't and don't have a laptop, and this was before much text on phones.

I finally found a Rocket ebook on display at a store, so I could check it out (I kept flinching at spending that much on a device unseen...) I ended up with a Rocket Pro, and read most every webscription since then. After several years, I found Fictionwise multiformat, and I purchased a very few drm books from Powells before the Rocket business was purchased by another company (Gemstar?? RCA?? something like that, but in any case they stopped creating new drm for the device.) The Rocket lasted all the way until the Cybook Gen3 came out, and I bought one from the NAEB effort to get a group rate on early eink readers.

Without Webscriptions, there wouldn't have been a baseline of ebooks available to make me want to get a device.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #25
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
For me it was the last Dan Brown book - The Lost Symbol - I was doing a lot of travelling and it was only available in hardback or ebook. Hardbacks are too bulky to carry around so I took the plunge. Brought a ebook reader and never been stuck for a book to read since.
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #26
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I owned a PalmPilot Tungsten and installed a reading app, but it was impossible to read outdoors on it and I couldn't get new publications, all I could find was PD. Then I saw an ad for the Kindle but thought it waaay overpriced, so although it hurt I decided against buying one. A year or so later the Kindle 2 was reduced in price and I was flush in funds so I bought one, two weeks later the Kindle 3 was released, hence the earlier price reduction, and I exchanged my K2 for the newer model. The K2 had 3G and I still remember walking down the road on my way to catch a bus and downloading a new book to read during my ride.
For someone not living in the English speaking world, yet reading a lot of books in English this device was like a miracle, suddenly I had access to all kinds of books (before I found out about geo-restrictions) and instantly. I used to wait for two weeks before the packages from Amazon arrived and then I would have to pay customs and sales tax on top of Amazon's price. Books are nos 30 % of what total costs used to be, so I read massive more amounts than I could afford to do before.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #27
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I tried my AMercan friend's Sony a few years ago and I really liked how I could make the font larger so I could actually read comfortably.
I was still hesitant because of eBook availability but once I realized how easy it was to borrow from the library online I bought took the plunge and have never looked back!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #28
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Lack of space for paper books at home (1000+ books in a two room flat shared with another person and a couple of cats) meant I'd basically given up reading new books for several years as there was literally no space for them - and living in non-English-speaking country and reading almost exclusively in English, buying books was the only option for me to read them, i.e. no library or borrowing from friends and then returning.

So that was the main reason. Not having to wait 2-3 weeks for a bought book to get to me (and worrying whether it would make it or get lost in the mail) was a major bonus, as was the much easier reading - no having to struggle with the paperback to keep it open, no worrying about font size or unreadably narrow margins and line spacing.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #29
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I had never seen an e-reader but had heard of them (I saw ads on amazon for the Kindle, and ads on Chapters for the Kobo). I thought it was a stupid idea and a silly gimmick, since I read lots of things on my computer, and was newly introduced to calibre and the public domain websites.

I changed my tune when I saw a friend with one on the bus. Her children had pooled their resources together and bought her a Kobo for Christmas. I was impressed by how crisp and clean the reading was, and how a direct glare of sunlight didn't faze it at all. My birthday/Mother's Day was close, and I decided to go for it.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #30
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Bookcases were filling up. Had double rows and bought extra shelves. Thought about buying more bookcases. Also I had some pd books on my computer. Then at work I was assigned a job to make PDFs of some documents and make them available for download. Started with a Bookeen Opus and found out that PDFs were not very pleasant. So I went for ePubs as well. Got hooked. An Android tablet later I have more ebooks than paper books.

The only thing that I miss is my trips to London to buy books. I still go, but it's not the same. Used to have an empty suitcase with me...

Last edited by Adoby; 09-24-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote